Edexcel P1 answers: Anyone interested? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I put 360 in as an answer in the trig part. u think ill anyway get full marks for that? (Ive got all the others correct i think)
Guest_Andy
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
hi reckon i got about 69 or 70 out of 75 which is 92/93 % in raw marks. Anyone know how much this will be scaled by roughly?
Should be about 95, I always go, its the percentage score plus a couple cos if someone doesn't get 75/75 they'll set 74 as the bound for UMS 100. etc.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What is exactly UMS??
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
UMS is the Uniform Mark Scale:

What the board seem to do is take the national spread of results as raw marks out of 75 and pigeon hole them so that a certain percentage of people hit the UMS scores for levels i.e 80% A, 70% B etc. Once they have done this they then associate each raw score with a UMS value. In order to calculate a fair spread of data they often have to truncate the score at one end, usually the top one, as the results are not normally distributed (more people get under 10 than over 65). in fact they are usually positively skewed toward the lower end. As such when they set their normal about the mean they have to skew the data above it to conform to that below it giving a uniform shape to the national results, thus making sure more people get D,C,B than U, E or A
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm, those answers look different to mine, and i was predicted a B, so either most of the people on here are wrong, or i've totally messed up somewhere.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
lets say I got 300 for AS level and 180 for A level. My sumis 480 (which is an A) but will they still give an A since I am not even nbear to getting an average of 80 for the A level modules?
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If your average over the six Maths modules is 80 UMS then you get your A. So if someone did get 300 in the lower sixth, they would only need 180 in U6 or 60% average in A2 module. Well worth doing well in AS modules for this reason alone. You could get an A off your first 5 papers and then get 0 on the last one and they still gotta give you an A. Not very likely but I bet some people do it!!!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.48%
Excited (165)
9.36%
Worried (308)
17.47%
Terrified (389)
22.06%
Meh (182)
10.32%
Confused (38)
2.16%