This discussion is closed.
may_baby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So, I got the s4 on contract with EE, the handset cost was £20 and the contract I THOUGHT I was getting was £30p/m but they mis sold me the contract and I only realised once the bill came for £44! They're saying that since the 2 week 'cooling off' period has passed and technically I signed a contract with them, if I want to cancel I still have to pay line rental, which I'm not willing to do! What's annoying is that the invoice that came with the phone says £30p/m and they're saying that it doesn't reflect whats on their system and their system is accurate!

Anyway, if I don't pay the line rental (which I don't intend to) will they blacklist my handset?
Sephrenia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
...I doubt they will blacklist the handset, but you will screw over your credit history for a long time. Check your contract, if it says £30/month then you should be on a £30/month contract.

Also, you do know that the first bill is always more right? You get bill pro rata for the first month (As in, you join EE halfway through a billing cycle, so you pay half a months line rental and the next months rental in advance...)

ETA: It is a seriously stupid idea to not pay your contract. Your financial future is more important than £15 - having a bad credit rating will stop you getting good rates on loans etc. People seem to forget that phone contracts are financially binding contracts and it does affect your future. People always come in an do the whole "Well, I aint paying", do you think that you not paying is going to hurt a huge company? All it's going to do is hurt you in the longer term!
may_baby
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sephrenia)
...I doubt they will blacklist the handset, but you will screw over your credit history for a long time. Check your contract, if it says £30/month then you should be on a £30/month contract.

Also, you do know that the first bill is always more right? You get bill pro rata for the first month (As in, you join EE halfway through a billing cycle, so you pay half a months line rental and the next months rental in advance...)
It's not that, the contract that came with the phone reflects what I agreed to, £30pm for 24 months. They sent me the contract as it is on their system and it says £44pm for 24 months. They've basically implied that I have somehow doctored the contract to show a lesser amount! I keep asking to talk someone in management and it's going nowhere .. I'll just be gutted if they blacklist my handset!
__Student__
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If they blacklist it you can easily get it fixed by them asians for 10-20 pounds
Sephrenia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by may_baby)
It's not that, the contract that came with the phone reflects what I agreed to, £30pm for 24 months. They sent me the contract as it is on their system and it says £44pm for 24 months. They've basically implied that I have somehow doctored the contract to show a lesser amount! I keep asking to talk someone in management and it's going nowhere .. I'll just be gutted if they blacklist my handset!
Take it up with the store and complain to head office. Just make sure you pay else you lose any form of leverage, and as I said before, not paying will screw you up!
may_baby
Rep:
?
(Original post by __Student__)
If they blacklist it you can easily get it fixed by them asians for 10-20 pounds
'them asians' .. awkward when I'm an asian .. and phone shops - ANY phone shop don't unblock phones for customers anymore.
__Student__
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
'them asians' .. awkward when I'm an asian .. and phone shops - ANY phone shop don't unblock phones for customers anymore.
They do, I did mine a month ago for my iphone.
RichardLai
Badges: 12
Report 7 years ago
Ok first of all you need to find the contract paperwork you were given.

Look at the price it says on there. Then go into the shop and and ask them to check your latest bill and why it's so high.

It could be something simple as going over your allowance or making premium rate calls. Your first bill is always higher because it includes an extra 6 days so it'd be at least £36pm anyway. But £44 does sound high.

DO NOT CANCEL YOUR DIRECT DEBIT! PAY THE BILL.
If you don't pay the bill they will block your sim and trash your credit rating which means you will not be able to credit from anyone.
In these situations it's better to pay the bill first and then claim back/sue EE for overcharging you/mis-selling or whatever. So for your own sake you have to make sure that payment goes to them.

But do go into the store and refuse to leave before they explain exactly where the extra charges have come from and why you were told something else/your paperwork says £30pm.

Also a few questions. What EE network are you on? (Orange/t-mobile)
Where did you get the phone from (Store/online/phone?)

Feel free to PM me if i've been unclear or you need any help.
may_baby
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sum Gai)
Ok first of all you need to find the contract paperwork you were given.

Look at the price it says on there. Then go into the shop and and ask them to check your latest bill and why it's so high.

It could be something simple as going over your allowance or making premium rate calls. Your first bill is always higher because it includes an extra 6 days so it'd be at least £36pm anyway. But £44 does sound high.

DO NOT CANCEL YOUR DIRECT DEBIT! PAY THE BILL.
If you don't pay the bill they will block your sim and trash your credit rating which means you will not be able to credit from anyone.
In these situations it's better to pay the bill first and then claim back/sue EE for overcharging you/mis-selling or whatever. So for your own sake you have to make sure that payment goes to them.

But do go into the store and refuse to leave before they explain exactly where the extra charges have come from and why you were told something else/your paperwork says £30pm.

Also a few questions. What EE network are you on? (Orange/t-mobile)
Where did you get the phone from (Store/online/phone?)

Feel free to PM me if i've been unclear or you need any help.
I've not cancelled the direct debit. I got it over the phone, was with t-mobile- have been with them for the past 3 years on a sim only plan and rang for an upgrade where they sold me this £30pm. According to them I haven't been charged for going over my allowance that's actually the monthly cost of my contract. If I don't get it sorted I will be cancelling the direct debit though, I am interested to find out what will happen to the handset if I do this - will it be blocked?
RichardLai
Report 7 years ago
I've not cancelled the direct debit. I got it over the phone, was with t-mobile- have been with them for the past 3 years on a sim only plan and rang for an upgrade where they sold me this £30pm. According to them I haven't been charged for going over my allowance that's actually the monthly cost of my contract. If I don't get it sorted I will be cancelling the direct debit though, I am interested to find out what will happen to the handset if I do this - will it be blocked?
So they're saying that £44pm is the standard line rental?

In that case when you ring them or speak to them next tell them you have been mis sold and want to listen to the recording of the call that was done on the day you took out the upgrade. Keep pushing for them to listen to the recording and get them to escalate the problem.

Are you still with T-Mobile or are you with EE4G now?

Do not cancel the direct debit. I'm serious. Really really really serious. You have no idea how it will affect your life and finances in the future. If you are right and have been mis sold you'll be able to get it refunded back to you/sue them for the money so you don't have to worry about getting it back at all.

If you cancel the direct debit they'll block your sim first, pass your details on to a debt collection agency who will call you 10 times a day to get you to pay. They will then put a mark on your credit file so your finances are ruined. Then they'll block the phone when they realise you aren't going to pay up.

So you tell me if it's a good idea to go through that. Why not sort out the issue rather than make it a bigger issue. Especially if that bigger issue is going to affect you the most and not affect the company at all. So it doesn't matter what happens to the handset. That's insignificant, what happens when you cancel the direct debit is that your credit history is ruined for at least the next six years.
kat_allen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If your local EE shop is being unhelpful, then maybe go into a different town and to a different EE shop, explain you've had an issue and you'd like someone to look over, and that you'd also like a contact number for head office?
RichardLai
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by __Student__)
They do, I did mine a month ago for my iphone.
Your intelligence level is fairly low. Unblocking and unlocking are not the same thing.

You cannot unblock a phone.

You can unlock a phone.
Sephrenia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Facepalm. As I've said, cancelling your direct debit will not hurt them, it will hurt you. They will be within their rights to sign your account over to a debt collector. In this day and age your credit history is so important, and having something that say you don't pay will hurt you. Plus you will get extra fees for late/non-payment. You're basically opening a can of worms. Best way is to pay, and complain, complain complain.
Please don't cancel the direct debit. It might seem like nothing now, but that will stick with you for years, and when you want the finance for a car, or a mortgage you're gonna be screwed - either with higher rates or just flat out refusals.
I see it at work, people with the "Well I ain't paying!" Then come back in a few months later and then get rejected for a new contract and what can they do? They chose not to pay and now no company wants to give them their iPhone 5, or at least not before taking a £250 deposit off them!
SloaneRanger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So, I got the s4 on contract with EE, the handset cost was £20 and the contract I THOUGHT I was getting was £30p/m but they mis sold me the contract and I only realised once the bill came for £44! They're saying that since the 2 week 'cooling off' period has passed and technically I signed a contract with them, if I want to cancel I still have to pay line rental, which I'm not willing to do! What's annoying is that the invoice that came with the phone says £30p/m and they're saying that it doesn't reflect whats on their system and their system is accurate!

Anyway, if I don't pay the line rental (which I don't intend to) will they blacklist my handset?
So many of these deals are redemption, if you think you have been mis-sold take it to the OFT.
may_baby
Rep:
?
So they're saying that £44pm is the standard line rental?

In that case when you ring them or speak to them next tell them you have been mis sold and want to listen to the recording of the call that was done on the day you took out the upgrade. Keep pushing for them to listen to the recording and get them to escalate the problem.

Are you still with T-Mobile or are you with EE4G now?

Do not cancel the direct debit. I'm serious. Really really really serious. You have no idea how it will affect your life and finances in the future. If you are right and have been mis sold you'll be able to get it refunded back to you/sue them for the money so you don't have to worry about getting it back at all.

If you cancel the direct debit they'll block your sim first, pass your details on to a debt collection agency who will call you 10 times a day to get you to pay. They will then put a mark on your credit file so your finances are ruined. Then they'll block the phone when they realise you aren't going to pay up.

So you tell me if it's a good idea to go through that. Why not sort out the issue rather than make it a bigger issue. Especially if that bigger issue is going to affect you the most and not affect the company at all. So it doesn't matter what happens to the handset. That's insignificant, what happens when you cancel the direct debit is that your credit history is ruined for at least the next six years.
Cancelling the direct debit is a last resort, and even then it'll be in the hopes that I get the attention of someone other than the customer service team, because atm I'm getting nowhere. I did say to the guy I spoke to that I'd like to hear the recording if I'm wrong fair enough but he kept saying that the system shows I've signed a contract and the recording wouldn't help because I'm bound by said contract. He's not the only one to say that aswell.I'm planning on going into a store and speak to someone there, at the very least maybe they'll get me access to someone higher than customer service. Really annoyed though because I've been happy with my service for the past 3 years.
__Student__
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your intelligence level is fairly low. Unblocking and unlocking are not the same thing.

You cannot unblock a phone.

You can unlock a phone.
How can you not unblock your phone? Stfu please
SloaneRanger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its illegal to unblock a phone there is up to 10 years in prison.
Sephrenia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Here's the contact details, including the address for writing a letter of complaint to...
www.t-mobile.co.uk/making-complaint/
Sephrenia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Blocking a phone is different to Locking it to a network.
Blocking refers to the "Blacklist" which is used by networks and the police to stop stolen phone being sold fraudulently.
Locking refers to the network only allowing their SIM cards to be put into the phone (most commonly known in iPhones)
RichardLai
Report 7 years ago
Cancelling the direct debit is a last resort, and even then it'll be in the hopes that I get the attention of someone other than the customer service team, because atm I'm getting nowhere. I did say to the guy I spoke to that I'd like to hear the recording if I'm wrong fair enough but he kept saying that the system shows I've signed a contract and the recording wouldn't help because I'm bound by said contract. He's not the only one to say that aswell.I'm planning on going into a store and speak to someone there, at the very least maybe they'll get me access to someone higher than customer service. Really annoyed though because I've been happy with my service for the past 3 years.
No it's not. It's never a last resort when you're dealing with a huge company like EE who couldn't give a damn about consumers and are willing to trash your credit file in the blink of an eye because you missed a bill.

In that case go through to the t-mobile head office direct.

Send them an email or recorded delivery letter detailing exactly when you took the upgrade, what you were told the price would be, what the price actually was and how you were treated afterwards.

This is mis-selling and is a perfectly legitimate reason for cancelling your contract without repercussions. But you have to wait for T-Mo to actually allow you to cancel before you cancel yourself.

Google around for head office emails/contact links.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (237)
56.7%
I don't have everything I need (181)
43.3%

Watched Threads