The Student Room Group

why is my answer wrong

Natural gas is a fossil fuel and the annual production of ammonia accounts for about 2% of all the methane consumption. In the future, as fossil fuels become more depleted, the use of methane for ammonia production may become too expensive. Suggest another process that might be used in the future to obtain hydrogen gas for the haber process.

Why is the answer this: electrolysis of water i.e. H2O --> H2 + 1/2O2

I thought it would be this: CH3OH + H2O --> 3H2 + CO2, why is this wrong?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe because your process gives off CO2 too?
Reply 2
Your answer is totally incorrect. Do some research please.
Reply 3
As far as I know, generally, there are two ways of producing methanol in a large scale. The first involves synthesising CO2 with H2, which would be dumb in this case because the net gain of hydrogen would be 0 (2H2 + CO2 ---> CH3OH).

The second way is through methane, but the issue at hand is that it would be too expensive to use methane for ammonia production, so it surely won't be used to produce methanol that would then be used to produce ammonia.

In short, it isn't there because it's wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Doppel
As far as I know, generally, there are two ways of producing methanol in a large scale. The first involves synthesising CO2 with H2, which would be dumb in this case because the net gain of hydrogen would be 0 (2H2 + CO2 ---> CH3OH).

The second way is through methane, but the issue at hand is that it would be too expensive to use methane for ammonia production, so it surely won't be used to produce methanol that would then be used to produce ammonia.

But the alcohol can be produced by yeast right? Would a reaction between ethanol and water producing hydrogen gas be correct? Or is that also wrong?
Original post by __Student__

How was I supposed to know?! I'm only an A2 student we haven't covered that much detail yet and I have never come across the equation in the mark scheme, so what was I supposed to do?

So I gave one that I knew does produce hydrogen. If you're not going to give a helpful answer then don't comment at all please.
Water react's with methanol to give hydrogen gas and carbon dioxide???
Original post by tammie123
How was I supposed to know?! I'm only an A2 student we haven't covered that much detail yet and I have never come across the equation in the mark scheme, so what was I supposed to do?

So I gave one that I knew does produce hydrogen. If you're not going to give a helpful answer then don't comment at all please.

Well you should atleast know adding water to methanol doesn't produce hydrogen and carbon dioxide...
Original post by Hormonal
Well you should atleast know adding water to methanol doesn't produce hydrogen and carbon dioxide...

So my textbook is wrong then?
So my textbook is wrong then?

If your textbook says that, then yes, it is wrong.
If your textbook says that, then yes, it is wrong.

But that's what I learned though, so it's not exactly my fault I got it wrong, like the person you're defending is suggesting.
Reply 11

What on earth are you talking about.

You didn't know the answer and haven't covered the subject in much detail by your own admission, yet upon guessing an answer and finding it wrong you come online to post a thread asking why your answer isn't in the mark scheme? BECAUSE IT'S WRONG obviously, why else would it not be there. The question you should be asking is why is the answer "X", if you don't understand it, not why isn't the answer the one you would like it to be based on an apparent lack of knowledge.

But that's what I learned though, so it's not exactly my fault I got it wrong, like the person you're defending is suggesting.

Who cares if it's your fault or not? You're acting like you are a five year old.
Original post by M1011

You didn't know the answer and haven't covered the subject in much detail by your own admission, yet upon guessing an answer and finding it wrong you come online to post a thread asking why your answer isn't in the mark scheme? BECAUSE IT'S WRONG obviously, why else would it not be there. The question you should be asking is why is the answer "X", if you don't understand it, not why isn't the answer the one you would like it to be based on an apparent lack of knowledge.

Who cares if it's your fault or not? You're acting like you are a five year old.

Ok I admit the thread title does make it seem like I think I'm right and the mark scheme is wrong. But that's genuinely not what I meant, what I meant is, why isn't the answer that I was taught in the book not in the mark scheme and why is there an answer there that I have never come across. I'm just scared that in the real exam a question might come up where I have to give an equation I've never come across before. So I guess I'm just frustrated and stressed and a mix of a whole load of other things... I don't mean to act so immature. But you have to admit _student_'s comment was really rude and unnecessary so I was just trying to defend myself. :frown:
Ignoring the specifics of the answer, I think the more important point is that the question states that fossil fuels are running out and asks for an alternative way of producing hydrogen. Using a different organic product is therefore definetely not the answer they are looking for, even if it is possible to product hydrogen from it.
Original post by illusionz
Ignoring the specifics of the answer, I think the more important point is that the question states that fossil fuels are running out and asks for an alternative way of producing hydrogen. Using a different organic product is therefore definetely not the answer they are looking for, even if it is possible to product hydrogen from it.

So with questions like this I should avoid organic compounds as methane may have been used to make it? :smile:
Original post by __Student__

Original post by Doppel

Original post by M1011

The reaction given by the OP is correct, it is in my textbook too :confused: it is however possible due to an 'onboard reformer' in cars which requires temperatures of 250-300oC so it obviously wouldn't be cost efficient. Methanol can be generated from biomass, so the issue isn't the source but the energy required to carry out the reaction.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by tazmaniac97
The reaction given by the OP is correct, it is in my textbook too :confused: it is however possible due to an 'onboard reformer' in cars which requires temperatures of 250-300oC so it obviously wouldn't be cost efficient. Methanol can be generated from biomass, so the issue isn't the source but the energy required to carry out the reaction.

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
Original post by M1011
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

What do you mean? :confused:
Original post by tazmaniac97
What do you mean? :confused:

The Italian job ...

mini.jpg
Reply 19

massive scale-up of acid-metal rxn to produce hydrogen for world demand, LOL:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest