How many courses can I apply for in one University through UCAS? (Urgent help)

Watch this thread
Ucan'tseeme
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
It's like I will either go for the course of Politics or another one. So it is possible through UCAS that I will be able to apply for two individual courses at the same university? Or is it like one university means one course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
There's no restriction, all five of your choices can be at the same university if you so wish
Gnome :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
You can choose up to 5 courses from any combination of universities, however you will need to ensure that your PS is suitable for all courses, and be aware of the fact that the uni may see this as a sign you aren't totally committed and passionate about one subject area if you've applied for 2 different courses.
Advertisement
Ucan'tseeme
Rep:
Thanks. Also, is it possible to apply to a number of colleges within one university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gnome :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
That should be fine. AFAIK, the only exceptions are Oxford and Cambridge.
Advertisement
RowanL
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Since I believe only Oxford, Cambridge and Durham use the collegiate system, it is important to remember that you can only apply for one course at one college at either Oxford or Cambridge. You can't apply for 'PPE' and 'History and Politics' at Oxford for example.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RowanL)
Since I believe only Oxford, Cambridge and Durham use the collegiate system, it is important to remember that you can only apply for one course at one college at either Oxford or Cambridge. You can't apply for 'PPE' and 'History and Politics' at Oxford for example.
The obvious exception is that you can apply for up to five colleges at London University

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
RowanL
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
The University of London is not widely seen as a University though, people would say I go to UCL or I go to LSE, no-one (at least no-one that I know) would say I go to the University of London, there isn't a university atmosphere as such.
Ucan'tseeme
Rep:
So basically, I can apply for a number of courses to one university and can apply for a number of colleges as well (like Cambridge)? Is open application better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
Zottula
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ucan'tseeme)
So basically, I can apply for a number of courses to one university and can apply for a number of colleges as well (like Cambridge)? Is open application better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you can apply to several courses at one university. You could apply to more than one college as well. However, you cannot apply for a number of colleges at Cambridge. You may only make one application to either Oxford or Cambridge.

I don't think an open application really makes much difference to your chances. So you might as well apply to a college that you like.
Ucan'tseeme
Rep:
Thank you so very much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
achanont
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi,
I would like to know whether it is advisable to apply to many courses that are very similar in one University. For example, I am thinking about choosing the following courses:

1. City University (Accounting & finance )
  2. City University (Business Studies)
  3. City University (Banking and International Finance)

Is it possible for me to get accept into one of these courses, and rejected by the others? Will my application get evaluate multiple times or just only once?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by achanont)
Hi,
I would like to know whether it is advisable to apply to many courses that are very similar in one University. For example, I am thinking about choosing the following courses:

1. City University (Accounting & finance )
  2. City University (Business Studies)
  3. City University (Banking and International Finance)

Is it possible for me to get accept into one of these courses, and rejected by the others? Will my application get evaluate multiple times or just only once?
If the courses are run by different departments, it will be evaluated more than once. However, if this is a university which looks with any care at your PS (and I do not know whether it does) your application will look very indecisive and you will not appear committed to any one course.

The usual acceptable justification for applying to multiple courses at the same university is that this is the only university you can physically attend. Obviously that doesn't hold when you applying to a university in London.

"I am the primary carer for my Great Aunt Blodwyn . As such, I am only able to attend university in Aberystwyth. I am very keen to attend university at this time in my life as my Great Aunt is 97. When she passes on I wish to seek employment. My aim is to join the Civil Service and I believe that a degree will help me in my career aspirations.

I have therefore applied for five courses at your university. My preferred course is English Literature but in descending order of preference, the remaining courses are: Equine Science, Physics with Planetary Space Physics, Law with Welsh, and Tourism Management. With my A levels in maths, physics and English and AS level biology, I believe that I am qualified for all of these degrees. My mother tongue is Welsh."
This would be a perfectly acceptable PS. The applicant may well only get one offer but she has effectively overcome how to write a PS for five radically different courses.
Advertisement
maryamzahid
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Depending on how you have written and structured your personal statement, you can apply to the same university 5 times. Usually medical students use their 5th choice as biomedical or biochemistry or any other course and still can get considered as the university will know that this applicant is a potential medical student but this course at their university is a back up. Also people apply 5 times in order to secure a place at their first choice university and I know a lot of people who do this
achanont
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Thanks a lot everyone !!!
08.f.poswal
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
HEY GUYZZ!

SO, does this mean tht i can only apply to 5 courses, regardless of which University I am applying to, for example I am not verry good accademically but still want to apply for medicine but am not sure wheter i would be considered. could I ten choose an alternative course within the same uni or a different un.

also i'm wondering why the application deadline to apply for medicine /dentistry is is early, is that so if you get rejected, you can apply to different course by the jan deadline!!! i'm really confussed! plz help!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
31.75%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (58)
46.03%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
21.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.79%

Watched Threads