Turn on thread page Beta

I seriously don't understand the media now... watch

ReputationRep:
    There's a mass genocide going on in Burma at the moment, mass murdering of Muslims...
    Does anyone here know about this?

ReputationRep:
    Erm yep..it's been on BBC news quite a bit (I have BBC news 24 in the background most of the time), not in the last few days obviously, but it's an issue that's been brought up a few times over the last few weeks, think there was one of those more lengthy "reporters" things on it too where the BBC sends someone and sort of does a 15-30 min thing on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Erm yep..it's been on BBC news quite a bit (I have BBC news 24 in the background most of the time), not in the last few days obviously, but it's an issue that's been brought up a few times over the last few weeks, think there was one of those more lengthy "reporters" things on it too where the BBC sends someone and sort of does a 15-30 min thing on it.
    Yeh I do understand that part, but I mean like on the television why is it not so important, we seriously need some awareness on this right?

ReputationRep:
    The media is driven by a profit motive not a moral obligation ( the BBC is an exception)

Thus the problem is not with the media but with the public for not caring enough to buy the newspapers that do report on such things.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think doing an e-petition on this would help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJFShaz)
    Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Because unlike the BBC most media has to sell. Foreigners dying doesn't concern people, therefore it won't sell so it's of no concern to the media, eg how many people remember the terrorist attack on a bus outside Sofia airport? I'm guessing noone, I only remember because I went through the airport about a week later and half the place was in lockdown. The media could probably change opinions, but only if they all did it otherwise people would just switch to a different paper, and since no media company is going to take that risk we're not going to see any of that. Which is a shame because it would shut up the many people I've seen on forums claiming that if Muslims really don't support terrorism they should publicly say so, which they have done. The media just doesn't care.

ReputationRep:
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    This has gone on for several years now. There was a Rambo film about it and everything.

ReputationRep:
    Petition for what? Telling the news what they should be reporting by ignoring terrestrial activities/events and telling us what is more morally significant to report? Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of it. Is it really as grotesque as you put it?

ReputationRep:
    Cant say I care or the general public cares hence why its not being reported

Yeh I do understand that part, but I mean like on the television why is it not so important, we seriously need some awareness on this right?
    I agree. All this doom and gloom. Nice to hear some good news for a change.

Also is it just me or are these forums slow. On most forums I can open up the web page and scroll down strait away. On this forum the web page is unresponsive or erratic for a good 10 seconds or so.

ReputationRep:
    The British public as a whole is more interested in things going on or related, in some way or another, to our country. The killing of many Muslims in a country many people may never have had heard of probably doesn't concern them that much, as disgusting as that sounds.

This is how news works.

ReputationRep:
    **** the media.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's been all over the place, all over the news, all over TSR including dozens of threads asking why the media does not cover it....

ReputationRep:
    What don't people understand it's not every single muslim who is a terrorist it's just a small minority of them! just because one scottish person is racist doesn't mean scotland is a racist country this society is messed up big time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenzelRyder)
    What don't people understand it's not every single muslim who is a terrorist it's just a small minority of them! just because one scottish person is racist doesn't mean scotland is a racist country this society is messed up big time!
    That's about the billionth time I've heard somebody make that argument. The vast majority of people agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    There's a mass genocide going on in Burma at the moment, mass murdering of Muslims...
    Does anyone here know about this?
    There are a lot of issues going on throughout the world, but there is a limited scope of interest for the British public, and most of the media will be concerned with more local problems.

(Original post by DenzelRyder)
    What don't people understand it's not every single muslim who is a terrorist it's just a small minority of them!
    People don't really think that every muslim is a terrorist. They worry that the Muslim community breeds extremism, and that Islam itself is extremist by our standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    There are a lot of issues going on throughout the world, but there is a limited scope of interest for the British public, and most of the media will be concerned with more local problems.

People don't really think that every muslim is a terrorist. They worry that the Muslim community breeds extremism, and that Islam itself is extremist by our standards.
    mass murdering of Muslims..so they are only killing the ones which look like terrorists or something? to me they are killing all Muslims due to some Muslims being extremists

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.