The Student Room Group

A/A* Revision Tips - Feel Free to Pass by and include any

With a half-term holiday, i want to make use of this for my revision, for the exams coming later on, in the next few weeks such as triple science and additional science. In order to get majority of my exams A*s, what would you guys recommend me to do. Thanks
Original post by Rumschpringe
Even though this is directed at A-Level students, take a look at this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=370-57-study-learning-and-revision-habits-of-A-star-students

At GCSE all I did was past papers, marking them and doing more until my marks were in the A to A* boundary. However for English, Business Studies and Music all I did was read through the revision guides- For English Lit. I read through my anthology notes and my notes on TKAMB for about a week before the exam, whereas Music was a night-before thing and Business Studies was done on the morning of the exam. I managed to get A*s in all of them- GCSEs aren't too difficult to get A*s in because the answers in the exams are pretty straightforward.
As long as you know what the mark schemes are looking for you will do well.

Thanks alot, i didn't apply to the steps that u sed for english lit. Everything u gave was excellent, now i have a rough idea how to revise efficiently, my incoming exams are english language, edexcel P3, edexcel IT, maths and last of all edexcel P2.
Original post by Ray.Inspiration
Thanks alot, i didn't apply to the steps that u sed for english lit. Everything u gave was excellent, now i have a rough idea how to revise efficiently, my incoming exams are english language, edexcel P3, edexcel IT, maths and last of all edexcel P2.

I also recommend using the specifications for each course as a guideline for what you should know- it helps you to fill any gaps in your knowledge. I personally didn't use that at GCSE as I didn't realise how useful they are but I have been using them for A-Levels.
Original post by Rumschpringe
I also recommend using the specifications for each course as a guideline for what you should know- it helps you to fill any gaps in your knowledge. I personally didn't use that at GCSE as I didn't realise how useful they are but I have been using them for A-Levels.

I see, would u know for what subjects i have included that are remaining would require a specification to follow with ? If not thanks anyway, appreciate it!
Reply 4
For anyone doing languages, Quizlet. I only found out about it this year and it would've been so helpful for my GCSEs! If you get those vocab lists with the 200 or so words likely to come up in the reading paper, it's far easier to learn through that than trying to read the paper over and over and hoping it goes in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jm925
For anyone doing languages, Quizlet. I only found out about it this year and it would've been so helpful for my GCSEs! If you get those vocab lists with the 200 or so likely to come up in the reading paper, it's far easier to learn through that than trying to read the paper over and over and hoping it goes in.

Agreed, Quizlet is awesome! I like to do past papers too, they're very effective
Here's my tips for the subjects I study:

Maths - past papers, past papers, past papers. Write down anything key on flashcards to prompt you before the exam, but to highlight what you don't know and perfect questions, do the past papers. I did every past paper on CCEA's website last year!
RE - Learn key words and quotes, people often slip up on these. try to get a few things into your exam that would differentiate you from others. I learnt a few obscure quotes before my exam. My personal favourite was that 'in the book of Deuteronomy, Onan was punished for 'Wasting Seed''. Yes, I used this. :biggrin:
English.Lit - I spent the most time on this subject. For the short stories anthology, I took 7 A4 sheets and I created notes for parts of them, for example 'Relationships' 'Form/Structure' 'Imagery/Symbolism' etc... For your novel, reread it and be familiar with it, you can't really afford the time to flick through it during the exam. I read Of Mice and Men and took key quotes for each character and created a few essay plans. In addition, do as many practice essays as possible - it's not good knowing these A* notes and coming out with a C standard essay. Finally, have an essay structure you know you'll stick to. I myself knew that for my short stories' essays I would firstly comment on the form and structure and then move on. For poetry, I would comment on the title, then form/structure, then language and then symbolism and imagery. Though try and add some flair.
Languages - if the exam board has a core vocab list (CCEA does), this is fantastic. Translate it (I've translated all 3, each over 1,200 words). Highlight the words that are unfamiliar and any silly words. IN both my French and Spanish listening, there were two words that nobody knew that were on the core vocab list. (I hadn't translated it yet :frown: ) In my Irish exam, of a condensed 150 word list I had learnt, 23 words came up and I probably got an extra 10 marks because of it. For readings, do as many past papers as you can. For listenings, try listening to songs in that language. (I have found some terrific French music that I'm happy to share. Spanish not so much:tongue:). For orals, know the questions and put them in a random order so you know them fully. Repeat the oral as much as possible and to anyone to perfect technique. Add tone and don't be monotonous, but know when to express this!
Geography - past papers yet again. Write out all the case studies to learn on separate A6 sheets and know them well, you can't bluff these. Learn the key terms.
Physics - learn the key equations again. Then learn the longer questions which are often repeated. Make sure you know the key concepts fully.
Biology - past papers again. Exam boards have a nice habit of re-asking questions.
Chemistry - Know the key formulae basically, make sure you grasp the key concepts properly. I would also recommend past papers.

General:

For essay subjects, try mnemonics. They basically got me through all my RE class tests and worked wonders for my actual test last week.
Try the 'Mind Palace' technique. I created one for the Beatitudes and French parts of the body and can still recall it.
In general, I find flash cards work best, or wee A6 sheets. They fit in your pocket easily to take out at any time and concisely display all relevant information you need.
Sleep well. Don't go to bed straight after studying, go out for a run or even just for a walk. I've been out countless times this month at quarter to 11, simply because I knew I'd sleep poorly and would have a sore head otherwise.
Discuss with your friends a lot, you'll pick up on things you wouldn't otherwise have had. (2 words I asked my friend 10 minutes before our Irish exam came up).
Be disciplined. Know what you have to study, what time you have to start and when you want to finish. Study what you don't know, not what you do.
Reading the Chief Examiner Reports is invaluable. They are written by the person who will be marking your exam, telling you what to do and what not to do and where everyone slips up. I really don't know why so few people use these!

Hope this helps!
I have understood the essence of revision, but im not sure how to specifically revise for the aqa english language exam, edexcel triple science physics exam, edexcel IT and edexcel additional science P2 physics. Thanks alot.
Reply 8
Original post by aasvogel

Maths - past papers, past papers, past papers. Write down anything key on flashcards to prompt you before the exam, but to highlight what you don't know and perfect questions, do the past papers. I did every past paper on CCEA's website last year!
RE - Learn key words and quotes, people often slip up on these. try to get a few things into your exam that would differentiate you from others. I learnt a few obscure quotes before my exam. My personal favourite was that 'in the book of Deuteronomy, Onan was punished for 'Wasting Seed''. Yes, I used this. :biggrin:
English.Lit - I spent the most time on this subject. For the short stories anthology, I took 7 A4 sheets and I created notes for parts of them, for example 'Relationships' 'Form/Structure' 'Imagery/Symbolism' etc... For your novel, reread it and be familiar with it, you can't really afford the time to flick through it during the exam. I read Of Mice and Men and took key quotes for each character and created a few essay plans. In addition, do as many practice essays as possible - it's not good knowing these A* notes and coming out with a C standard essay. Finally, have an essay structure you know you'll stick to. I myself knew that for my short stories' essays I would firstly comment on the form and structure and then move on. For poetry, I would comment on the title, then form/structure, then language and then symbolism and imagery. Though try and add some flair.
Languages - if the exam board has a core vocab list (CCEA does), this is fantastic. Translate it (I've translated all 3, each over 1,200 words). Highlight the words that are unfamiliar and any silly words. IN both my French and Spanish listening, there were two words that nobody knew that were on the core vocab list. (I hadn't translated it yet :frown: ) In my Irish exam, of a condensed 150 word list I had learnt, 23 words came up and I probably got an extra 10 marks because of it. For readings, do as many past papers as you can. For listenings, try listening to songs in that language. (I have found some terrific French music that I'm happy to share. Spanish not so much:tongue:). For orals, know the questions and put them in a random order so you know them fully. Repeat the oral as much as possible and to anyone to perfect technique. Add tone and don't be monotonous, but know when to express this!
Geography - past papers yet again. Write out all the case studies to learn on separate A6 sheets and know them well, you can't bluff these. Learn the key terms.
Physics - learn the key equations again. Then learn the longer questions which are often repeated. Make sure you know the key concepts fully.
Biology - past papers again. Exam boards have a nice habit of re-asking questions.
Chemistry - Know the key formulae basically, make sure you grasp the key concepts properly. I would also recommend past papers.

General:

For essay subjects, try mnemonics. They basically got me through all my RE class tests and worked wonders for my actual test last week.
Try the 'Mind Palace' technique. I created one for the Beatitudes and French parts of the body and can still recall it.
In general, I find flash cards work best, or wee A6 sheets. They fit in your pocket easily to take out at any time and concisely display all relevant information you need.
Sleep well. Don't go to bed straight after studying, go out for a run or even just for a walk. I've been out countless times this month at quarter to 11, simply because I knew I'd sleep poorly and would have a sore head otherwise.
Discuss with your friends a lot, you'll pick up on things you wouldn't otherwise have had. (2 words I asked my friend 10 minutes before our Irish exam came up).
Be disciplined. Know what you have to study, what time you have to start and when you want to finish. Study what you don't know, not what you do.
Reading the Chief Examiner Reports is invaluable. They are written by the person who will be marking your exam, telling you what to do and what not to do and where everyone slips up. I really don't know why so few people use these!

Hope this helps!

+1 to this, excellent advice!
Original post by aasvogel

General:

Hope this helps!

Great advice, thanks! Care to share those French songs?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I am sitting my English Language exam in June. I am doing the higher tier; anyone have any links for past papers and mark schemes?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am aiming for an A grade.
Original post by Sheldor
Great advice, thanks! Care to share those French songs?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I PM'ed you. :smile:
Reply 12
Any tips for History?
ANYONE, please help I have a gcse english language exam this tuesday ( aqa) im not sure how i could get an A/A*, also very hard subjects due to the fact that i have no idea how to revise for them - I am clueless how to revise for gcse extension units P3 ( edexcel), which is next wednesday, i need as much help as/if possible. The last exam for the week that im dreading is the gcse ict unit 1 short course (edexcel), which is on next thursday. Anyone who got A/A* for the exams in the previous years, u guys may wish to contribute or not. Any help would be great or fantastic for the specified exams. Thanks, i appreciate it. Good Luck also to the people doing the exams too. :smile:
Any tips on how to revise for English language. I too have my exam on Tuesday and at the moment I'm really panicking because I have no idea on how to revise. HELP 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A HumanBeing
Any tips on how to revise for English language. I too have my exam on Tuesday and at the moment I'm really panicking because I have no idea on how to revise. HELP 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exam board are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing the aqa board, if u want to know mine, gcse aqa english language
Original post by Ray.Inspiration
I am doing the aqa board, if u want to know mine, gcse aqa english language

Ah, I do a different board so I won't really be much use.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I would STRONGLY suggest past papers from 2012 onwards.
Most exam boards hired new chief examiners in Jan 2012 so know the 2012 2013 papers inside out!

Best of luck!
Yes, I will reiterate that the Examiners reports are a incredibly good resource that are underused. They basically tell you what mistakes others who have taken the same exam usually make and how to negate these same errors. Read them.

Quick Reply

Latest