Turn on thread page Beta

tourists at Wadham, Ox watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are there a lot of tourists that pass through Wadham? What are the colleges that get a lot of tourists at oxford? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake2)
    Are there a lot of tourists that pass through Wadham? What are the colleges that get a lot of tourists at oxford? Thanks
    I think Magladen get a lot of tourists as it's well-known. When I was at New College for my interview there were several American tourists walking around even though there were big signs saying it was closed to visitors for a few days (due to interviews i'm assuming!)!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure but I think Wadham is closed to tourists, or certainly is most of the time. Oxford colleges basically fall into two categories: those which positively welcome tourists (and screw them for as much money as possible) and those who are completely closed to tourists (because tourists are annoying there's no debating it). I'm at Christ Church which is the worst for tourists. It has the whole Harry Potter/Alice in Wonderland, Oxford Cathedral thing and is very impressive so it attracts lots of tourists, and charges them lots of money, up to £5 a go I think, to look around. This means that you're constantly bumping into tourists and kicking them out of staircases when they ignore the signs (grrr). If you're very concerned about privacy the number of tourists might worry you a little. If so I suggest going somewhere either completely non-touristy (Catz, St Peters) or somewhere out of the way (Hughs/LMH).

ReputationRep:
    how's the tourist problem at balliol?

ReputationRep:
    Inside its okay but Baliol and Trinity students all complain about the woman on Broad street who insists on screaming "WALKING TOURS"[B] all the time at tourists not giving them a moment's peace. She then goes on to tell tourists lies about Oxford.

I'm sure that Baliol/Trinity students, tourists, WALKING TOUR lady will back me up on this!

ReputationRep:
    ouch - sounds painful- they can't remove her or something? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebrittzditz)
    how's the tourist problem at balliol?
    Not too many tourists inside but very busy outside.

The tourist trail is concentrated around:
    Christ Church
    Magdalen
    New
    Merton
    Trinity
    St Johns

ReputationRep:
    The big three tourist colleges are Christ Church, Magdalen and Merton.

I've been told by my friend at Magdalen that the college makes about £90,000 a year from tourism. There have been quite a lot of tourists whenever I've been there, so this amount of money is believable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    The big three tourist colleges are Christ Church, Magdalen and Merton.

I've been told by my friend at Magdalen that the college makes about £90,000 a year from tourism. There have been quite a lot of tourists whenever I've been there, so this amount of money is believable.

Tourism at Magd is def. not on the same scale as at Christ Church, though - I was amazed when I went into ChCh (admittedly as a tourist/tour guide for a school group) at just *how* many tourists there were swarming all over the place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by house badger)
    I'm sure that Baliol/Trinity students, tourists, WALKING TOUR lady will back me up on this!
    Aargh, damn that Walkingtour woman and her confounded lies. I don't know if it's true but I heard that she told some tourists that the Radcam was part of "King's College". She should be banned from standing within 100m of Trinity and made to stand outside Christchurch instead.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.