Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious, I was doing revision about this topic and I was wondering if anyone knows if there was an element or compound that acts as a catalyst to make two chlorine radicals react together to make chlorine? Because if they found a way to release something like that into the stratosphere (provided that the catalyst itself isn't something harmful) it would help to reduce depletion of the ozone layer, wouldn't it? It was just a thought so please tell me if I'm being completely stupid!

ReputationRep:
    We do not want a catalyst to make two chlorine radicals to react together to make chlorine because the UV radiation would just break the chlorine up into radicals again.

Natural processes will remove the excess chlorine and the last thing we want to do is to pump gases into the ozone layer which would have the potential to surround our planet.

Hope that helps x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 26, 2013

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.