The Student Room Group

Uni student currently looking for job- issues with poor grades on CV?

Hello, I am a 22 year old undergrad student in my first year. I find myself in a frustrating and depressing predicament. I had a job for about 5 years in a hotel 'pot-washing', this wasn't intended to be a permanent fixture, I started at age 16 just for a bit of money. I stayed there up until 2 months ago (throughout my formative education). I left because I was becoming miserable in the job, both with the people (personal grievances), and I felt I had been there too long. I had student finance to live off, but I mistakenly assumed this would last the full stretch of summer. I now regret it and I will have to "eat humble pie" and face the consequences (being jobless) of shunning my job and being spiteful to people because of the subjective experiences I had at work.

Maybe I had taken my employment for granted and was being ungrateful. I now find myself frantically worrying about money after hidden costs have swamped me. I will be left with very little money. I am now about to put together a C.V., with a view to obtaining some seasonal work, even if it is temporary, in a dingy cafe! I just need a constant income but also something to do with my 4 months off. The problem being I have really poor GCSE grades (even though I have done further education and I am at uni) my qualifications include: BTEC National Dip (L3) in Interactive Media, and other BTEC dips (done over the years). I have my GCSEs also which are as follows:

English (OCR): E(e)- original grade
Science-Double award: E(e)
Geography: F(f)
D&T (graphic products-AQA): D(d)
Art & Design: F(f)
Maths: F(f)
English (retake1):biggrin:(d)
English (retake2) C(c)

Yes, I appreciate that my grades are exceptionally poor and over the years I have had lots of 'stick' for it. I am deeply ashamed of these, and although I was not a bad student at school, and I did not truant or cause trouble. I just simply found it hard...also I was classed as somebody with special ed needs and so I don't think I was pushed or supported as much because people did not have high aspirations for me. Neither did I to tell you the truth. So ultimately, I ended up with the grades I got. I wish I could rewind the clock but I cant. I have since then, being in education since leaving school and I have obtained quite a few qualifications and have been through the HE system twice, I am currently undertaking a degree. But now I am looking for a temp/part-time job to just earn money, and in my area the only jobs available are retail/cafe work. Would employers shun me for my poor grades or take into consideration the fact I am doing a degree to make up for their preconceptions? Also should I include the poor grades on my CV?
Reply 1
Original post by royal1990
Hello, I am a 22 year old undergrad student in my first year. I find myself in a frustrating and depressing predicament. I had a job for about 5 years in a hotel 'pot-washing', this wasn't intended to be a permanent fixture, I started at age 16 just for a bit of money. I stayed there up until 2 months ago (throughout my formative education). I left because I was becoming miserable in the job, both with the people (personal grievances), and I felt I had been there too long. I had student finance to live off, but I mistakenly assumed this would last the full stretch of summer. I now regret it and I will have to "eat humble pie" and face the consequences (being jobless) of shunning my job and being spiteful to people because of the subjective experiences I had at work.

Maybe I had taken my employment for granted and was being ungrateful. I now find myself frantically worrying about money after hidden costs have swamped me. I will be left with very little money. I am now about to put together a C.V., with a view to obtaining some seasonal work, even if it is temporary, in a dingy cafe! I just need a constant income but also something to do with my 4 months off. The problem being I have really poor GCSE grades (even though I have done further education and I am at uni) my qualifications include: BTEC National Dip (L3) in Interactive Media, and other BTEC dips (done over the years). I have my GCSEs also which are as follows:

English (OCR): E(e)- original grade
Science-Double award: E(e)
Geography: F(f)
D&T (graphic products-AQA): D(d)
Art & Design: F(f)
Maths: F(f)
English (retake1):biggrin:(d)
English (retake2) C(c)

Yes, I appreciate that my grades are exceptionally poor and over the years I have had lots of 'stick' for it. I am deeply ashamed of these, and although I was not a bad student at school, and I did not truant or cause trouble. I just simply found it hard...also I was classed as somebody with special ed needs and so I don't think I was pushed or supported as much because people did not have high aspirations for me. Neither did I to tell you the truth. So ultimately, I ended up with the grades I got. I wish I could rewind the clock but I cant. I have since then, being in education since leaving school and I have obtained quite a few qualifications and have been through the HE system twice, I am currently undertaking a degree. But now I am looking for a temp/part-time job to just earn money, and in my area the only jobs available are retail/cafe work. Would employers shun me for my poor grades or take into consideration the fact I am doing a degree to make up for their preconceptions? Also should I include the poor grades on my CV?

I've realized I have not really portrayed myself in the best light, and me giving my grades maybe leads people down the garden path. I have spent the past 4-5years in education trying to redeem myself for my poor performances.

The primary question I am asking is, should I include all of these GCSE grades on my CV/covering letter??
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by royal1990
I've realized I have not really portrayed myself in the best light, and me giving my grades maybe leads people down the garden path. I have spent the past 4-5years in education trying to redeem myself for my poor performances.

The primary question I am asking is, should I include all of these GCSE grades on my CV/covering letter??

Get a grip!!!

No, no-one cares about your GCSE grades, the number you got and the fact you have English and Maths is the most employers will care about. Retail/catering employers don't care about your sixth-form grades either, they don't care about any grades at all. They want you to be reliable, hard working and quick and add polite and engaging if you have a customer-facing role.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending