Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, there has been quite a bit of debate lately in the political sphere about reforms related to the way in which history, more specifically British History is taught in schools.

So I'm asking :

How far up are you in the education system?

How much British History have you learnt so far?

Do you feel that we need to learn more British History?

ReputationRep:
    [/QUOTE=Thriftworks;4218144]
    [/QUOTE]

Year 12

(Original post by Thriftworks)

Primary

Native Britons ( Iceni tribe etc ) - Roman Britain - Saxons - Norman Invasion of 1066 - Bit more on the Normans - The Tudors ( DId this for about two years ) - The Stuarts -

Secondary

Roman Britain - Spanish Armada- War of the roses, English civil war - The industrial revolution.

It seems that the history course was pretty comprehensive however when you get to 18th century up until present day only the industrial revolution is covered... this is a pretty massive gap when you take into account how much happened over the 400 years from 300 years from 1700 - 2000 which involved Britain.

A level

None

Anyways

I feel that we should cut some of the earlier stuff and spend more time on 1700-2000 personally as it feels like we are missing out lots of important historical events which help explain modern society. For example the setting up of the first major MNCs e.g the V.O.C or British East India company, this also helps explain why we have such a multicultural society.

But this is just my personal experience and I know the curriculum differs school to school so I would like to know about what you have been taught

Anyways thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    We didn't do Saxons, which is odd. From what I've read it sounds the most interesting of it all. Also, it does miss out a lot of things from outside England, like Scottish kings.

In fact, I think most of my British history came from Horrible Histories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    We didn't do Saxons, which is odd. From what I've read it sounds the most interesting of it all.

I did them in like year 3, it was pretty cool we went to a museum and looked at ancient artifacts etc aswel.

ReputationRep:
    Primary:

Celtic Britain, Roman Britain, Local History (which I remember mostly consisted of learning about the railway, and looking at a Victorian census which had the number of imbeciles living in the village on it)

Secondary:
    Middle Ages, Tudors, the English Civil War and Restoration, the standard Slave Trade stuff, Industrialisation and the Great War

GCSE:

Cold War, Civil Rights in the USA, Russian Revolution and Hitler's Rise to Power

A Level:

We have to do a British History module, with our exam board at least, so with our Mussolini course we did Churchill

I definitely think the whole of British History should be taught in schools, at the very least up to GCSE. I think this is mostly already done though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Hey, there has been quite a bit of debate lately in the political sphere about reforms related to the way in which history, more specifically British History is taught in schools.

So I'm asking :

Do you feel that we need to learn more British History?
    1st year undergraduate.
    I learn quite a lot, but indirectly through my course (I'm studying Classics).
    And yes, ultimately we do. People should be aware of the fundamental principles of British society which can only be done by studying its history. It should also show instances where we got it wrong, I remember at school I was taught about the mismanagement of British provinces, and Northern Island.

ReputationRep:
    British history is vital for a young persons education, but from what I remember from secondary school it focused primarily on the world wars. At A level I studied the industrial revolution and the Irish rebellion.

As a classics student at uni I would say that it would be beneficial to learn about the ancient Greeks/Romans along side British history.

I remember learning about the Aztecs in primary school which seems a bit ridiculous considering what could have been covered.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.