The Student Room Group

What happens at the Job Centre when you're seeking Jobseeker's allowance?

I've been struggling to get by and have no job, so after putting my pride away I want to seek JSA? What happens there? What do they ask?
What proof/paperwork do they need? Is it hard to get qualified for JSA?

How long from applying to getting money?
Reply 1
Original post by Tim2341
I've been struggling to get by and have no job, so after putting my pride away I want to seek JSA? What happens there? What do they ask?
What proof/paperwork do they need? Is it hard to get qualified for JSA?

How long from applying to getting money?

You apply online
Reply 2
Original post by daindian
You apply online

Then they'll contact you to arrange an interview, at which point you need to bring ID, proof of NI, and proof that you're entitled to JSA, such as a P45.
As the others have said, apply online and you should be seen at the Job Centre within a week. They'll tell you what to bring when they contact you after you've applied online.

The amount of time from applying to getting money can vary greatly. When I signed on I think it was 3 weeks but I've known people who had to wait longer and a few shorter. In my experience the Job Centre is poor when it comes to bureaucracy, so don't be surprised if you have to wait a month or longer while they are processing your claim.
Reply 4
I didn't have an NI number when I came back home to England - from start to finish (that is, applying for NI and getting my JSA) everything took around 4 weeks. Not bad at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending