The Student Room Group

Why is M1 so hard?

Why is M1 sooo hard, is there any suggestions of how to study for M1 (especially resolving forces), my exams on the 6th of june and I need a C minimum, Its looking unlikely :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Dopey'
Why is M1 sooo hard, is there any suggestions of how to study for M1 (especially resolving forces), my exams on the 6th of june and I need a C minimum, Its looking unlikely :frown:

Unrelatedly, how did you manage a blue gem?Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 20.46.40.png
M1 isn't really hard once you've learnt how to answer the fifteen or so distinct questions they can ask. (The numbers may be different each time, but that's it - structurally they're the same.)
Have you done all the past papers?
Reply 2
Original post by Dopey'

For resolving forces it is all right angled triangles, exactly the same as resolving vectors :smile:

Original post by Smaug123
Unrelatedly, how did you manage a blue gem?Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 20.46.40.png

I think it might be exactly zero rep? but 'm interested too...
Reply 3
if its motivation for you, I was a loser at M1 I promise, I learnt it all on my own in 2-3 months because I missed 6-7 weeks of school and couldnt move onto the next thing until I had learnt the basics i.e SUVAT. I starting telling myself its maths and not physics. Used exam solutions, went over some things afew times and it started to click when I slowed down and understood the examples in the textbook.
Did ALL the questions in the textbook, and went over harder ones again and then did ALL the past papers and did the ones I got wrong again.
Just pulled out an A 80/100 hehe after a C in the mock and a poor U 6/50 haha at the start of the year when I was made to sit a test on my second M1 lesson and every else had learnt 4 chapters..
if I can do, anyone can!
Reply 4
Original post by natninja
For resolving forces it is all right angled triangles, exactly the same as resolving vectors :smile:

I think it might be exactly zero rep? but 'm interested too...

when its exactly zero its blue ;p
You just need to focus lots on trigonometry. If you draw a diagram for each question, you can draw the force triangles on (you should have a force at an angle, and a force paralel, and a force perpendicular.) Focus on nailing trigonometry and SUVAT, and m1 is in the bag.
Reply 6
Definitely understand the concepts and don't just learn a method of answering questions.
I got a U when I first took it last year as I never put in the time to actually work at it; in my recent mock tests I've been getting high 80s, it's definitely manageable.
Reply 7
Its a beast. But like any beasts it has to be maintained
We did a practice paper, kinda mock back in about February in M1 and I got flipping 33%. After that I just knuckled down and did all past papers, Im hoping I did enough for a high A in the exam :s-smilie:
Moral of the story, past papers and practice!
Reply 9
Original post by MedMed12
when its exactly zero its blue ;p

Hi medmed :smile: just quoting you to inform your PM is full, delete some messages:wink:
Reply 10
if its motivation for you, I was a loser at M1 I promise, I learnt it all on my own in 2-3 months because I missed 6-7 weeks of school and couldnt move onto the next thing until I had learnt the basics i.e SUVAT. I starting telling myself its maths and not physics. Used exam solutions, went over some things afew times and it started to click when I slowed down and understood the examples in the textbook.
Did ALL the questions in the textbook, and went over harder ones again and then did ALL the past papers and did the ones I got wrong again.
Just pulled out an A 80/100 hehe after a C in the mock and a poor U 6/50 haha at the start of the year when I was made to sit a test on my second M1 lesson and every else had learnt 4 chapters..
if I can do, anyone can!

I have like a week lol, I can do colliding forces and integration and differential equations but when it comes to forces on a slope or a force hanging but two strings it becomes hard and i never know what to do
Reply 11
Original post by jumblehunter
You just need to focus lots on trigonometry. If you draw a diagram for each question, you can draw the force triangles on (you should have a force at an angle, and a force paralel, and a force perpendicular.) Focus on nailing trigonometry and SUVAT, and m1 is in the bag.

Ive been told when you draw the triangle its easier but I never know what way the forces are acting for example tension? /:
Reply 12
Original post by Dopey'
I have like a week lol, I can do colliding forces and integration and differential equations but when it comes to forces on a slope or a force hanging but two strings it becomes hard and i never know what to do

oh i hated them too haha
have you watched exam solutions -look at edexcel m1 if there isnt any for your board-its all the same really. It helped me lots and go over examples in tehe books! It took me afew goes but I got there, so if you focus well you can do it.
If its another motivation for you a girl in my year got an E in the m1 a week before the exam and got an A too, with a week of hardcore work, she has Bs in all her other modules (except 1 C) so go for it you can do it :smile:

yes always annotate your diagrma but labelling what you know :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Dopey'

Look up lectures by Richard P. Feynman on youtube. He explains everything so clearly that, if you can tolerate browsing around long enough to find something relevant to M1, then you would certainly benefit from it! Of course it is important to practice questions, but mastering the basics like moments and newton's second law to the point where you instinctively know why you are applying the techniques you are will make everything seem intuitive and simple :smile:
Reply 14
oh i hated them too haha
have you watched exam solutions -look at edexcel m1 if there isnt any for your board-its all the same really. It helped me lots and go over examples in tehe books! It took me afew goes but I got there, so if you focus well you can do it.
If its another motivation for you a girl in my year got an E in the m1 a week before the exam and got an A too, with a week of hardcore work, she has Bs in all her other modules (except 1 C) so go for it you can do it :smile:

yes always annotate your diagrma but labelling what you know :smile:

Thanks I just going to knuckle down and try, thats all i can do at this point :smile:
Original post by Dopey'

Use the web called examsolutions. I got like 96ums because of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Can anyone help me with resolving forces I get the basic ones but when it comes to too a slope at a angle and a force acting on that object at a angle it becomes tricky :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by Dopey'
Can anyone help me with resolving forces I get the basic ones but when it comes to too a slope at a angle and a force acting on that object at a angle it becomes tricky :frown:

If you understand the concept of resolving... Basically figuring out how much of the force acts in a given direction using triangles. 90% of the time when finding the normal contact force on the slope you use cos beachside the angle is inside the triangle.... When finding the force parrallel to the slope you use sin. Once you've got that just split every force up and use f=ma.

Quick Reply

Latest