The Student Room Group

Moving & switching energy suppliers

My housemates and I are moving into a new house at the start of July, and we already know that we are going to want to change the suppliers for that house and that we won't be using the ones we're already with in our current house. I was wondering whether anyone knows if it would be possible to switch suppliers for the new house before moving in, so that as soon as we are moved in supply would be by our chosen supplier and we wouldn't have the interim of a deemed contract with whoever the current suppliers are. I've tried having a look online but i'm pretty rubbish at this sort of thing and so would be grateful to anyone who knows something about this.
Reply 1
No, you need to have control of the accounts at that address before you can switch them. Under the regulations of the energy industry set out by Ofgem, there can only be one set of accounts open per electricity/gas connection. Because of this, you cannot switch whilst the current tenants still have their accounts open.

When you move in, you will need to take meter readings and supply them to the company you wish to move to. They will then contact your old supplier so they can generate a final bill for you. Or, use a site such as uSwitch which is quick and easy. The process takes about 6 weeks to go through.
Original post by Tomcat449
No, you need to have control of the accounts at that address before you can switch them. Under the regulations of the energy industry set out by Ofgem, there can only be one set of accounts open per electricity/gas connection. Because of this, you cannot switch whilst the current tenants still have their accounts open.

When you move in, you will need to take meter readings and supply them to the company you wish to move to. They will then contact your old supplier so they can generate a final bill for you. Or, use a site such as uSwitch which is quick and easy. The process takes about 6 weeks to go through.

Ahh I expected as much, thank you very much for your help
It's different for each utility really.

Gas & Electric: Cancel your old bills by closing the account and giving your final meter readings on the day you move out.

when you move into your new house, find out the current suppliers and take meter readings. Then call the people that you want to go with and let them know all the details (they'll switch it all over for you).

Phone & Broadband: Cancel your current contract (check cancellation fees vs. paying off the end of your contract).

Try to get in touch with current tennants and ask them not to cancel the phoneline and that you will take it over (as BT sometimes charge a huge amount to "re-activate" a line). You should then just try to switch over to your name on the account.

You should also use that current line to order your internet (should do it about 2-3 weeks in advance). This means that they can send the router as well as activate the internet pretty soon after you move in (plus you get the 12 month contract started early to avoid cancelation at the other end).

Water: you just need to take reading (if there are any) and switch over the name on the account.
Reply 4
I'm with www.greatsavings.co/ for my services as they don't have contracts. Guaranteed cheapest too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I guess that the best answer you can get from a switching company. I can recommend you Tower utility cause I used it. My bills are lower than they were. I am sure that they can professionally tell you if it's possible and what to do.
Reply 6
Original post by TheOtts
I'm with www.greatsavings.co/ for my services as they don't have contracts. Guaranteed cheapest too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Checking them out and the amount of clauses they have for being cheaper is unreal. For gas they are cheaper than British gas, but who isn't since they are one of the mor expensive ones.

For electric they are cheaper than your local one, same again they are normally the most expensive.

Their internet looks really bad.

So I would advise you to look elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Presumably you've checked your tenancy agreement to see if there are any requirement to get the landlords permission before switching.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk 2
Original post by moneymanager
Presumably you've checked your tenancy agreement to see if there are any requirement to get the landlords permission before switching.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk 2

Unless you pay your bills to the landlord as opposed to the supplier then you are free to switch whether it states it in the contract of not.

The OFT state that any tenant has a right to switch their suppliers at anytime and any clause in a contract that denies this is void.

*if it does say that you can't switch in your contract then simply contact the landlord, state that it's your right to switch & then tell them that you will do so!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending