The Student Room Group

Any GEM Applicants NOT applying straight out of Uni...?

Just testing the water really.

I have 8 years of postgraduate work experience in the emergency services, and am applying for 2014 entry.

Just wondering how many others there are lurking out there who are coming to medicine as a career change rather than straight out of Uni...?

in my own logic more time = more life experience = better doctor, but I am happy to be corrected.
Reply 1
I agree, undergrad medics suck and are immature and know nothing (ok not really)

I have worked in finance for ages and unlike you have no experience at all in anything in a clinical setting, although I have always wanted to be a doctor.

I am kicking myself so much for not applying to undergrad med, I knew I would definitely have got a place no problems, what the hell was i thinking back then
Reply 2
Lots of graduate medics have taken time out between the end of their first degree and the start of their medical studies - I'd say the average age for my cohort is mid-twenties.
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
Lots of graduate medics have taken time out between the end of their first degree and the start of their medical studies - I'd say the average age for my cohort is mid-twenties.

Basically this. Plethora of people who have taken multiple years off.
Original post by Democracy

Mid-twenties? That is young in my eyes, I am in my early thirties....
Original post by 419
Basically this. Plethora of people who have taken multiple years off.

Years off? There I was thinking the time after Uni was the "work" part of life...
Reply 6
Original post by Pittawithcheese
Years off? There I was thinking the time after Uni was the "work" part of life...

The 'years off' generally involve full-time work. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending