The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do gay people act a certain way?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You're thinking of 'camp' and 'effeminate', 'gay' is not a byword for those.
I don't know. Can you imagine how popular they would be if they were all like Stephen Fry though? That would be the best thing ever.
Original post by cambio wechsel
a nymphomaniac is necessarily a woman. A man with an insatiable appetite for sex is a satyromaniac (cf. nymphs and satyrs). I wonder though whether the etymology doesn't as well imply heterosexual context.

Maybe I shouldn't have searched that on Google! :ahee:
Reply 43
As a gay man this post offends me, I don't see how you can generalise an entire section of the population due to the way we are portrayed in the media. Just because a man likes other men it does not mean he has to become feminine I certainly don't and neither do most gay men I am friends with.

Let me give you an example for many years the papers have declared teenagers to be "yobs" or hoodlums yet we all know that, that only represents a small percentage of the youth of this nation.
Reply 44
It probably because you don't notice gay people that act straight. Camp homosexuals stick out and are more visually present, whereas masculine types just tend to fad into the background with everyone else. Its not as if we go up to everyone and ask their sexuality.
Reply 45
Original post by ronki23
Had you not stated you were attracted, we wouldn't have known! If a homosexual doesn't state he loves another man (or she loves another women) or act like the opposite sex, they can choose to keep it to themselves.

Homophobes could state that homosexuals can keep the attraction to themselves.

One thing I do not like about some gay people is the campiness and/or the promiscuity. Then again I don't like promiscuity full stop but I see it more in gays.

I do not care if they are gay and act normal (not camp and not effeminate). Unfortunately the only person who does not act camp or effeminate is Ian McKellen!

On Eastenders when they introduced Christian he was really rude/camp but they sorted him out later on in the series. So Christian's not too bad (although Syed is a loser) Still, I do not think affairs are right.

You probably think that most gay people act like this because for those that don't act like this, you wouldn't even realise they're gay and just pass them off as straight.
I should also point out that you're referring to TV characters: TV, especially in the USA or in the past, has been notoriously bad at portraying LGBT people as little more than stereotypes. If you're judging two fictional gay guys' personalities and using that to genuinely judge all gay people, or further on using Power Rangers to enhance your world view, then you really need to open your eyes a little. Do you actually know any LGBT people in real life?

I believe it's true that some stereotypes exist for a reason and despite all the numerous exceptions (including myself), I think it's true that the average gay man is more feminine than the average straight man. But are camp men, gay or straight, a problem at all? Is it a bad trait to have? Is it harming anyone? No.

I hope that when people correct the generalisation that all gay men act a certain way, it's because the stereotype doesn't often hold true, and not because campness is seen as a bad thing.
Reply 46
Original post by Harve
You probably think that most gay people act like this because for those that don't act like this, you wouldn't even realise they're gay and just pass them off as straight.
I should also point out that you're referring to TV characters: TV, especially in the USA or in the past, has been notoriously bad at portraying LGBT people as little more than stereotypes. If you're judging two fictional gay guys' personalities and using that to genuinely judge all gay people, or further on using Power Rangers to enhance your world view, then you really need to open your eyes a little. Do you actually know any LGBT people in real life?

I believe it's true that some stereotypes exist for a reason and despite all the numerous exceptions (including myself), I think it's true that the average gay man is more feminine than the average straight man. But are camp men, gay or straight, a problem at all? Is it a bad trait to have? Is it harming anyone? No.

I hope that when people correct the generalisation that all gay men act a certain way, it's because the stereotype doesn't often hold true, and not because campness is seen as a bad thing.

I'm just saying he quit as he was harassed about his sexuality. I can't particularly see any campness in him. As for famous gay people, apart from Sir Ian Mckellen or the husband from Bewitched there are few that are not camp or few that are not promiscuos- I consider cheating on your wife as promiscuity. Sheldon from Big Bang theory,Freddie Mercury,Christopher Biggins,David Hyde Pierce- you can tell they're gay.
Original post by ronki23
I never suggested that they should hide the fact that they are gay, I am just saying one can argue that homosexuality can be hidden by people not following up on those thoughts. It will still be there but limited to their minds.

Of course that is very unlikely to happen but that is basically how it goes in countries than ban it- the homosexuals have to keep thoughts to themselves or risk being punished

Okay, I'm not sure what your point is anymore or what relevance it has to the thread topic.
Original post by ihatebrownbread
For example generally you can tell someone is gay by the way they talk. I don't understand how them loving their own sex makes them talk that way. Also sometimes by the way they walk. I don't understand how them being gay makes them act this way.

It doesn't. Sorry, but your statement is astoundingly idiotic. There are plenty of gay guys that don't act that way. That's why you don't notice them
Original post by Ezekiella
I think it's silly to draw generalisations - heaven knows they have enough discrimination to deal with as it is! I can't stand it when gay guys are obnoxious and try to "out-girl" me by making a silly attempt to put me down in the "bitchy" way many girls do, though

Has this ever actually happened in real life? It sounds like you're confusing TV with your life

It's like they're jealous of all the attention I'm getting from straight guys

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaa
Its possible that you think many gays act a certain way because they're the only ones you notice as being gay.

If you pass a gay guy in the street, you only realise he's gay if he acts in these certain ways you associate with homosexuality. Your sampling system is biased.
Original post by ronki23
I never suggested that they should hide the fact that they are gay, I am just saying one can argue that homosexuality can be hidden by people not following up on those thoughts. It will still be there but limited to their minds.

I'm sorry, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I'm gay, and I'm not one iota campy. I don't have any campy gay friends, they're all just.... normal.
Reply 52
Original post by ihatebrownbread
For example generally you can tell someone is gay by the way they talk. I don't understand how them loving their own sex makes them talk that way. Also sometimes by the way they walk. I don't understand how them being gay makes them act this way.

You mean they all act a bit like Mr.Humphreys from "Are you being served"?
Original post by ronki23
I'm just saying he quit as he was harassed about his sexuality. I can't particularly see any campness in him. As for famous gay people, apart from Sir Ian Mckellen or the husband from Bewitched there are few that are not camp or few that are not promiscuos- I consider cheating on your wife as promiscuity. Sheldon from Big Bang theory,Freddie Mercury,Christopher Biggins,David Hyde Pierce- you can tell they're gay.

By which you mean to say... "I don't actually know any gay people in real life"
I've noticed this with some gay friends I have(mainly male). One guy I've known for years recently came out as gay and really changed,he flounced around,his voice became higher and he acted really camp(these are not necessarily indicative of someone who is gay but after questioning him on the sudden change he said these things made him feel more natural as he is).
Rather anecdotal reply , apologies.
Camp straight men exist, too! There's no correlation between being gay and certain mannerisms.

For example, I'm gay... I fit the stereotype in that I'm a classical singer, but I'm a bass.

Basically- LOL at stereotypes.
Reply 56
It's not a choice for most people. I'm gay and I'm not particularly that way usually but I can get a bit flamboyant when drunk. My voice used to be a bit camp too although that seems to have faded as I've gotten older. It does interest me though why some of us do behave that way though.
Original post by OddThings
I've noticed this with some gay friends I have(mainly male). One guy I've known for years recently came out as gay and really changed,he flounced around,his voice became higher and he acted really camp(these are not necessarily indicative of someone who is gay but after questioning him on the sudden change he said these things made him feel more natural as he is).
Rather anecdotal reply , apologies.

I think that often happens because when someone comes out, they're so thrilled just to fit in somewhere re their sexuality, so they start to believe that the behaviour they see in the scene is de rigeur. The thing is, the gay scene is absolutely not indicative of most gay life.

I think it's fair to say that when you put a bunch of gay guys together, they often camp it up a little (the same as if you put a bunch of straight guys together, they will often become slightly more macho). You'll find they're often quite different by themselves
Reply 58
Original post by MostUncivilised
By which you mean to say... "I don't actually know any gay people in real life"

Actually I do-I know 5; 4 are campy and 1 is a furry. One of those camps is in a civil partnership while the furry claims to be gay but is most likely bi as he allegedly had a girlfriend or 2.

Also for your other post, as a homosexual would you stay with your partner? Do any of your friends not suffer from Satyromania? I have never seen a gay person who has a sensible relationship e.g. no holding hands/no kissing in public. Heck, i've never heard of a virgin gay person.
Original post by MostUncivilised
Why don't you go **** yourself? ********

Shhhh, that would be gay.:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending