The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do gay people act a certain way?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronki23
Did you hear the first one? I would also have put Jackie Chan in (Police Story, I'll make a Man out of You, Drunken Master, Believe in Yourself) but people don't like him for some reason (I love Mr Chan). I just don't think (from the music i've heard) that Chinese music is pop- they should stick to classical music because it sounds awesome. I think the languages of China are best suited to male singers.

And you call gay men campy?
Reply 61
Original post by ronki23
A bit of a generalization here but many do have a feminine accent and the majority do seem nymphomanic. I've never seen a 'normal' gay couple with a professional relationship

What a stupid thing to say, if a gay couple appears normal and have a 'professional' relationship how are you supposed to know they're gay? Or does everyone from where you're from carry a placard with their sexual orientation? The whole situation is warped, you don't know if someone is gay unless they are camp (even then you can't be 100% sure they are gay, especially with metrosexuality everywhere nowadays) - most gay people I know are 'normal', and those in a relationship a 'normal' couple, to the extent you wouldn't really think they're a couple when out and about. It is seriously mind boggling the nonsense this forum manages to come up with.
Reply 62
Original post by MostUncivilised
And you call gay men campy?

How is liking foreign music gay? I like Chinese music, some forms of Japanese music, some K Pop, Russian rap and Russian-Israeli folk music. I don't see any campiness in that.

I guess it's because it's considered gay because a man sings it? I guess that means foreign men should dislike Elvis or Tupac
Reply 63
Original post by Clickety
Im gay and Im a virgin and I'm saving it for someone special, wooh, It's funny people say they see how gays seems to be more camp and more promiscuous, you are really failing to notice how slutty heterosexual people can be, like, seriously slutty, jesus, telling us not to act on our attraction to other men is great and all if your not us, sure some impulses should be contained, but homosexuality isnt harmful so that point is moot.

Yes gay people can be really camp, I don't like it, mainly because its pandering to the stereotype, but there IS a pressure, and believe it or not, I don't act slightly more camp because I'm gay and I want sexual attention (as I don't) I can't really explain, but sometimes I act slightly camp and I do think its more like I feel like I'm expected to, because of the stereotype, I'd say it's done ironically really, but I think the irony just serves the stereotype as opposed to getting rid of it.

So yeah, I'm gay, I've never had a sexual partner, I don't plan on having more than necessary, and I'm not camp. I don't watch glee. I don't like musicals. I play sport. I buy clothes once a year to replace my torn clothes (I HATE shopping). I don't wash. I don't like shaving. I hate getting my hair cut. I did dye my hair once. It's great and all with you people saying that all gays are camp and promiscuous, but its just, so. wrong. you only see the gay people as camp and promiscuous because you see camp and promiscuous people and assume they are gay, you're probably right! but you're not going to assume people like me are gay when you walk past me on the street? It's a complete bias, you are literally ignoring all the exceptions because you can't even recognise them.

Good for you then- I asked if there were gay people who had a professional relationship and you are one of them. You have answered my question.

And yes, I dislike sluttiness with the opposite sex too
Reply 64
Original post by Noble.
What a stupid thing to say, if a gay couple appears normal and have a 'professional' relationship how are you supposed to know they're gay? Or does everyone from where you're from carry a placard with their sexual orientation? The whole situation is warped, you don't know if someone is gay unless they are camp (even then you can't be 100% sure they are gay, especially with metrosexuality everywhere nowadays) - most gay people I know are 'normal', and those in a relationship a 'normal' couple, to the extent you wouldn't really think they're a couple when out and about. It is seriously mind boggling the nonsense this forum manages to come up with.

Maybe they could say that they are in a relationship? I know some opposite sex couples who refrain from kissing in public or even holding hands. I was asking whether this also occurs with homosexuals
Original post by ronki23
How is liking foreign music gay? I like Chinese music, some forms of Japanese music, some K Pop, Russian rap and Russian-Israeli folk music. I don't see any campiness in that.

I guess it's because it's considered gay because a man sings it? I guess that means foreign men should dislike Elvis or Tupac

Lol you are camper than most of my gay friends. Your protestations make it all the funnier
Reply 66
Original post by ronki23
Maybe they could say that they are in a relationship? I know some opposite sex couples who refrain from kissing in public or even holding hands. I was asking whether this also occurs with homosexuals

Well ok... they might say "We're a couple" but that doesn't mean all gay couples do this - you can't pass any judgement on what the majority of gay couples do in the street without making yourself look like an idiot (which you've already done). I don't even know a gay couple who go around kissing in public and holding hands...
Reply 67
Lol you are camper than most of my gay friends. Your protestations make it all the funnier

I guess men who like music from foreign men are camp then :rolleyes:

I'm also assuming that to be considered straight you have to be a racist :rolleyes:
Original post by ronki23
I guess men who like music from foreign men are camp then :rolleyes:

Liking K-pop is camper than a row of tents.

I'm also assuming that to be considered straight you have to be a racist :rolleyes:

That doesn't even make sense. Then again, you haven't really made much sense throughout this thread, so this is not atypical behaviour for you
Original post by Noble.
Well ok... they might say "We're a couple" but that doesn't mean all gay couples do this - you can't pass any judgement on what the majority of gay couples do in the street without making yourself look like an idiot (which you've already done). I don't even know a gay couple who go around kissing in public and holding hands...

Well said. I also find it interesting that ronki holds gay people to a different standard.

I'm not effeminate or flamboyant. I do usually give my boyfriend a kiss if I'm seeing him off at the train station. This is not unusual behaviour by heterosexual standards
Reply 70
Original post by ronki23
Good for you then- I asked if there were gay people who had a professional relationship and you are one of them. You have answered my question.

And yes, I dislike sluttiness with the opposite sex too

I had a relationship which lasted five and a half years; we had a cat, a house, a car, and used to take turns with other couples we knew hosting dinner parties. We even looked at adopting at one time. We parted company because after both working away from home for a long time, we'd grown apart, but are still friends. Hell, I still get birthday cards from his nieces and he still gets invited to my family's parties.

If by a professional relationship you mean a civilized one, then it's very common. I would love to be in that position again, if I could find the right man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Liking K-pop is camper than a row of tents.

That doesn't even make sense. Then again, you haven't really made much sense throughout this thread, so this is not atypical behaviour for you

*cough cough* 1 billion+ Psy lovers. Didn't Gangnam style get over 1 billion views on youtube? I'm assuming all the male viewers were camp.
I actually like both male and female Korean singers. I guess that 'counters' being camp for liking Psy LOL.

According to your logic Korean men who like Elvis are gay. I could also use Michael Jackson as an example but you'd probably say that people are gay for liking Michael Jackson.

I forgot to mention, I like African music too. Anyway, here is music I like from around the world-if you wish I can post up more but then it's going off topic

Europe- I like Russian rap and Russian folk
Middle East- Israeli folk music. Some Arabic (though not much)

Asia- Chinese folk, Japanese (general-not that much J pop), K Pop

Africa- still in the process of discovering it but here's a cool song

[video="youtube;VNJzLEHfJ84"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNJzLEHfJ84[/video]
South America-again i'm still discovering it
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ronki23
Actually I do-I know 5; 4 are campy and 1 is a furry. One of those camps is in a civil partnership while the furry claims to be gay but is most likely bi as he allegedly had a girlfriend or 2.

Also for your other post, as a homosexual would you stay with your partner? Do any of your friends not suffer from Satyromania? I have never seen a gay person who has a sensible relationship e.g. no holding hands/no kissing in public. Heck, i've never heard of a virgin gay person.

I don't understand where you got your definition of a sensible relationship from...
I think that often happens because when someone comes out, they're so thrilled just to fit in somewhere re their sexuality, so they start to believe that the behaviour they see in the scene is de rigeur. The thing is, the gay scene is absolutely not indicative of most gay life.

I think it's fair to say that when you put a bunch of gay guys together, they often camp it up a little (the same as if you put a bunch of straight guys together, they will often become slightly more macho). You'll find they're often quite different by themselves

Interesting points you've made,certainly a plausible reason why he started acting that way. Many people want to fit in to society or various areas within society and so ape the characteristics of others to gain acceptance. I've observed that too,a guy I knew became quite macho and 'laddish' around his friends,but acted somewhat differently alone with me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Attention-seekers - people who put a voice on do it for this reason and because they think being gay is special, when in fact it's just as ordinary is being straight
Reply 75
There is so much stupidity in this thread.

Most of the time, really overtly camp gay men act that way as a defense mechanism; a warped one I grant you, but a coping strategy nonetheless. Most "out" gay guys will have faced considerable abuse/bullying, at school or from random strangers, and defiantly embracing their homosexuality sometimes results in this extreme campness. I was bullied a bit in year 8/9 by this fat boy who was obsessed with the possibility that I was gay, and I just kept my head down and stayed silent. Looking back, sticking up for myself by being louder and camper would've been very easy. Giving an impression of great confidence can be intimidating I guess.

As someone else said, gay guys are often friends with girls/women, as these are less likely to bully them and their interests generally align more. So in that company, traits may be developed even further e.g. Liking celeb gossip or having an eye for fashion. It's all just common sense with a bit of psychology. There is no great conspiracy here.

Also, have you considered that its just western gay culture? Yes, there is such a culture believe it or not. Whether an individual wants to be part of that specific culture, and to what extent, is up to them. The stereotypes of liking shopping for clothes, interior design, musicals and whatever else are just cultural trends.

Putting on a false lisp is confusing to me though. A boy from my school came out after we all left and suddenly had a lisp, despite talking perfectly since year 7. Trying to be cute maybe? Dunno.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ninth2
There is so much stupidity in this thread.

Most of the time, really overtly camp gay men act that way as a defense mechanism; a warped one I grant you, but a coping strategy nonetheless. Most "out" gay guys will have faced considerable abuse/bullying, at school or from random strangers, and defiantly embracing their homosexuality sometimes results in this extreme campness. I was bullied a bit in year 8/9 by this fat boy who was obsessed with the possibility that I was gay, and I just kept my head down and stayed silent. Looking back, sticking up for myself by being louder and camper would've been very easy. Giving an impression of great confidence can be intimidating I guess.

As someone else said, gay guys are often friends with girls/women, as these are less likely to bully them and their interests generally align more. So in that company, traits may be developed even further e.g. Liking celeb gossip or having an eye for fashion. It's all just common sense with a bit of psychology. There is no great conspiracy here.

Also, have you considered that its just western gay culture? Yes, there is such a culture believe it or not. Whether an individual wants to be part of that specific culture, and to what extent, is up to them. The stereotypes of liking shopping for clothes, interior design, musicals and whatever else are just cultural trends.

Putting on a false lisp is confusing to me though. A boy from my school came out after we all left and suddenly had a lisp, despite talking perfectly since year 7. Trying to be cute maybe? Dunno.

Someone with sense. (There's been a few) However despite having mostly female friends I like football (and musicals I admit) and have terrible fashion sense. :biggrin: and I try not to be too 'camp'. My voice is annoying, but not feminine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by MattFletcher
Someone with sense. (There's been a few) However despite having mostly female friends I like football (and musicals I admit) and have terrible fashion sense. :biggrin: and I try not to be too 'camp'. My voice is annoying, but not feminine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have mostly girls and gay guys as friends but I still like some mainstream "male" things, tv shows aimed at men etc. It's just the nature/nurture debate really I guess! I buy way too many clothes in attempt to keep up with trends and that's definitely influenced by being gay; I don't have a love for fashion but the pressure to look good is pretty intense which is something I really hate. I spend a lot of valuable time and money on this things I don't really want and definitely don't need, all to keep up with everyone else. Who are probably doing the same thing!

My voice is pretty soft, not high or lispy, just... gentle haha.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hobbsy95
As a gay man this post offends me, I don't see how you can generalise an entire section of the population due to the way we are portrayed in the media. Just because a man likes other men it does not mean he has to become feminine I certainly don't and neither do most gay men I am friends with.

Let me give you an example for many years the papers have declared teenagers to be "yobs" or hoodlums yet we all know that, that only represents a small percentage of the youth of this nation.

Why does it offend you?
I didn't say all gay people had that voice, I just thought the majority are that way as all the gay people I personally know speak in a gay tone if you know what I mean. Not that there is anything wrong with that anyway. And I know for certain that they are gay because they have a boyfriend or they have told me- I don't just assume they are gay because of their voice.
Original post by ninth2
I have mostly girls and gay guys as friends but I still like some mainstream "male" things, tv shows aimed at men etc. It's just the nature/nurture debate really I guess! I buy way too many clothes in attempt to keep up with trends and that's definitely influenced by being gay; I don't have a love for fashion but the pressure to look good is pretty intense which is something I really hate. I spend a lot of valuable time and money on this things I don't really want and definitely don't need, all to keep up with everyone else. Who are probably doing the same thing!

My voice is pretty soft, not high or lispy, just... gentle haha.

Haha I know few fellow gay people. And most of my money goes on food and memorabilia. I'm like one of about 10people in our year who listens to 80s and 90s music. I've given up with 'trends'., politics and the news are the only things I keep up with! And I grew up in a pretty masculine environment (hence my love for football and alternative/Indie rock) just a very tolerant and secular one. I don't get people who say its because of a lack of a farther figure or anything like that.

Posted from thw TSR Mobile App because I'm not on my computer because it's too late and I should be in bed. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending