Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much about the people there - not everyone who was there will be going in October, and many others who weren't there will be going too. You must have just met all the weirdos, because there really are some normal people (me included).

I realised that there was a distinct lack of Geordies, but apparently we must have just not noticed how many there really are.

Honestly, don't let the Open Day put you off, because it really will be much better in October. All you have to do is knock on loads of random doors and say hi to people. Everyone's in the same position.

By the way, what course are you doing? I'm doing Law - there were some rahs on that course, although none at the Wood, I thought.

I hope you don't abandon Durham completely, because it'd be good to meet up if we both go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thom18)
    Don't worry too much about the people there - not everyone who was there will be going in October, and many others who weren't there will be going too. You must have just met all the weirdos, because there really are some normal people (me included).

I realised that there was a distinct lack of Geordies, but apparently we must have just not noticed how many there really are.

Honestly, don't let the Open Day put you off, because it really will be much better in October. All you have to do is knock on loads of random doors and say hi to people. Everyone's in the same position.

By the way, what course are you doing? I'm doing Law - there were some rahs on that course, although none at the Wood, I thought.

I hope you don't abandon Durham completely, because it'd be good to meet up if we both go.
    what i've just come back from collingwood today and i'm law too. When were u there? I didn't see any other prospective lawyers at collingwood.

Definitely agree with the rah thing with law but not at collingwood.

ReputationRep:
    That's weird because I couldn't find any other Wooder who did Law either. I was there last night (22nd) and had the open day talks today (23rd) then came home. I'm really tired from last night though - did you go out?

Are you thinking about Durham as your 1st choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahgrasso)
    Hiya, i've was at the open day last nite 2! I didnt really enjoy it too much to be honest tho! Not 2 put any1 off! Ther was alot of waiting around and every1 i seemed 2 talk 2 were really strange! Apart from a couple of ppl! I think i mite hav just been unlucky and so far i think its still going to be my first choice but can anyone else who went give me abit more confidence about it, try to persuade me that it is where i should go! Especially those who are hoping to go 2 Colingwood! I am really scared i may feel isolated, homesick and end up not knowing anyone! I am not usually a shy person at home but last nite i found i was quite shy! I'm having such a dilemna! I dont kno if 2 go 2 Durham or to go to my local uni and stay at home! I want to get the full student experience tho and i dont think that staying at home would give me that! HELP!! xxx
    Hey, i felt a bit the same aswell u know! Talked to a few nice ppl tho, altho i agree there were a fair few numbers of weirdos! Collingwood was really kool tho, and i could imagine stayin there for a year! U r doin geog aswell arent ya? Must have seen u at some point, on the tues open day bit, weird eh?!

ReputationRep:
    So.. after the Open Days, who has chosen Durham as 1st choice now?

ReputationRep:
    That's weird because I couldn't find any other Wooder who did Law either. I was there last night (22nd) and had the open day talks today (23rd) then came home. I'm really tired from last night though - did you go out?

Are you thinking about Durham as your 1st choice?
    yeah, iDurham is my first choice.

I went to everything the same time as you but didn't see you.

I went out and quite liked it. I was at a pub before tea then after the talks went to the college bar and then out to the union. Was thinking of going to some of the other clubs but was quite tired. Where did you go?

ReputationRep:

Hiya, thanks for the advice! I'm going to have to have a serious think about what i am going to do! I do want to go 2 Durham but i'm just scared incase its not for me or i dont fit in! I'm doing Geography and there seemed to be a mixture of ppl on that course so hopefully that wud be ok. I'l do my best to persuade myself that i should go and then yeah, it wud b great 2 meet up if i go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retrac)
    Hey, i felt a bit the same aswell u know! Talked to a few nice ppl tho, altho i agree there were a fair few numbers of weirdos! Collingwood was really kool tho, and i could imagine stayin there for a year! U r doin geog aswell arent ya? Must have seen u at some point, on the tues open day bit, weird eh?!
    Hi, i'm so glad u felt a bit the same! I was looking forward to it so much and then now i'm so confused and dont know what to do! I liked Collingwood and i think once i'd personalised that room abit i could live there for a year. I think my main problem was that wen i got there everyone was in groups and i was by myself until i found someone to talk to, and even then there was just the two of us and that made me feel a bit left out, u know? Yeah, i'm doing Geog. U didnt get that chinese man for your tour did u? He was a complete freak! He didnt know what he was talking about! What is your offer for the course? What grades r u predicted?

ReputationRep:
    I had a great time at the open day, met loads of nice people and got to stay in a castle for a night - bonus . It actually made me sad that I'm hopefully not going there, and if it was my first choice I'd be very pleased about it. All the students were really nice and friendly and in love with their college and Durham city. I knew from when I went up there in the summer how ugly the Student Union was from the outside, but it's actually nice on the inside and Monday night there was a lot of fun. Cheap drinks + a very well air conditioned dance floor + lots of nice people = a good night. The Hild Bede students were annoying though! Castle also has an incredibly cool cave-like bar, and wasn't anywhere near as rah as I was expecting. Plus Meadowside rooms were nowhere near as bad as I'd been led to believe - they're not luxorious, but not awful either. Coming back to Castle at 2am was amazing - it's all lit up and looks incredibly beautiful, but negotiating your way through the mini door and up all those wonky steps is something of a challenge...

Random piece of information: the only reasons you're allowed on Palace Green are to play croquet in your gown or to feed the Bishop's goat.

The Geography department is fantastic. It's about 5 times the size and quality of Oxford's and 3 times of Cambridge's.

It's also an incredibly small world. I met so many people I knew from various places over the 2 days it was scary.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm so glad u felt a bit the same! I was looking forward to it so much and then now i'm so confused and dont know what to do! I liked Collingwood and i think once i'd personalised that room abit i could live there for a year. I think my main problem was that wen i got there everyone was in groups and i was by myself until i found someone to talk to, and even then there was just the two of us and that made me feel a bit left out, u know? Yeah, i'm doing Geog. U didnt get that chinese man for your tour did u? He was a complete freak! He didnt know what he was talking about! What is your offer for the course? What grades r u predicted?
    hi, i was hanging around with only a few people as well and i think everyone really felt the same as you. Don't worry i think people will get to know each other when we actually start uni there.

Did you go out to the union? I got the irish guy for the tour if you know who i'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much the same for me! I didnt get the chinese man, i was in the pink group (yay! lol) with some weird guy with brown trousers and a beard! I got a AAB offer for geo BSc, and am predicted 4 A's, so fingers crossed! What about u then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retrac)
    Pretty much the same for me! I didnt get the chinese man, i was in the pink group (yay! lol) with some weird guy with brown trousers and a beard! I got a AAB offer for geo BSc, and am predicted 4 A's, so fingers crossed! What about u then?
    I've taken a gap year so i've already got my results. I've applied for the Geog BA and I got AAC and so i've got an unconditional offer from Durham. That should give everyone more hope because the entry requirements were AAB and i just missed out on the B but they still accepted me! Yey! Well dun 4 being predicted 4A's!!

Ps - Aww, i wish i was in the pink group! I was pale blue! Hehe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    hi, i was hanging around with only a few people as well and i think everyone really felt the same as you. Don't worry i think people will get to know each other when we actually start uni there.

Did you go out to the union? I got the irish guy for the tour if you know who i'm talking about.
    I wish i was as confident as you about going! I am trying! Hehe! Yeah, i went out to the union. I thought it was ok but as i was only with one other person it wasnt as gud as it cud have been! She was really tired so wasnt really dancing/drinking much and i didnt feel as though i could get really drunk and take over the dance floor! Hehe! Wot did you think of the nite? Oh, did someone tell you about how the Geog students go 3/4 days before the official start of freshers week? Apparently we all go early and there is events organised so we get to know each other etc and then when everyone else arrives they are really jealous because the Geog students all know each other and they all know nobody! One of the reps told us that but i dont know if its true or not! Any1 else heard that? x

ReputationRep:
    I've not heard that thing about Geography. It sounds like a good idea - it's really good to build a community atmosphere through the college and department, even though it does result in a little bit of rivalry (I hope no-one here is a Hatfielder!).

I thought the Student Union was nice inside, but a bit ugly outside (although it was apparently designed by the same guy who designed the Sydney Opera House - bizarre!). The night was really good, although Durham isn't exactly known for its nightlife (can anyone say... Klute?). Nevertheless, there's always Newcastle (my home town) to resort to for good nights out.

Durham is definitely my first and only choice, because all my other offers are higher.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was at Aidans 22-23.

The college was OK, but I had to share a room which put the frighteners on for october - I really think I would hate that AND you have to pay the same price as somebody in a single room!

The uni didn't "grab" me really - the city did though - I'd forgotten how big the shops were.
    Everybody I met was either rejected by oxbridge or going to oxbridge which was unnerving, and as a gap year student I felt old!
    These are mainly the negatives - I'm just relaly confused about my decision now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what Aidan's is like, but it's near The Wood so it can't be too bad! I'm really surprised that they made you share a room on the Open Day - that would have put me off, too.

One of the Wood Reps told me that, when you're choosing the rooms you want, the college give you a questionnaire which asks you what kind of music you like and dislike, what you like doing etc. to match you up with someone who is like you. The rep said that, if you really don't want to share, then just make yourself out to be an absolute biatch, and then no-one will be compatible with you.

I really thought the Uni was good, although it's true about the Oxbridge thing - even I am a Cambridge reject. But that's OK, I'm not snobby or anything. I thought Cambridge Uni sucked.

I think it would be a shame to pass up Durham, because you will make so many friends there - people you'll know for life. Give it a little more thought.

ReputationRep:
    The friends you'll know forever thing is true for any uni thoiugh.

They don't have enough singles to have everyone in one on an open day - half rooms are shared half are single. Perhaps I could trya nd transfer to Mildert?

Is rivalry between the colleges usually that rife? I'd like to make friends with people in other colleges, not be so exclusive to my own.

Place in the market makes lovely chips though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    The friends you'll know forever thing is true for any uni thoiugh.

They don't have enough singles to have everyone in one on an open day - half rooms are shared half are single. Perhaps I could trya nd transfer to Mildert?

Is rivalry between the colleges usually that rife? I'd like to make friends with people in other colleges, not be so exclusive to my own.

Place in the market makes lovely chips though
    I went to Mildert on 22/23, and it was ace. Yea it seems like there really is alot of rivalry, all the colleges seem to have something against Hatfield!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    Hello, I was at Aidans 22-23.

The college was OK, but I had to share a room which put the frighteners on for october - I really think I would hate that AND you have to pay the same price as somebody in a single room!

The uni didn't "grab" me really - the city did though - I'd forgotten how big the shops were.
    Everybody I met was either rejected by oxbridge or going to oxbridge which was unnerving, and as a gap year student I felt old!
    These are mainly the negatives - I'm just relaly confused about my decision now.
    I thought Van Mildert college was nice enough, and I really loved what was going on in the philosophy department, but I really don't think I'm going to accept Durham's offer. I don't think I could spend three years there without going out of my mind. What's there is nice, but it's so impossibly tiny, borne out by the fact that despite there being a couple of thousand (probably - guessing by how many were at dinner in Van Mildert) people there for the open day, I managed to bump into the same six people again and again and again (not that that's so bad!). I'm not sure I'd fit in, given that I've never heard so many posh accents in two days and everyone did seem to be from private schools and Oxford applicants. One of the most important things is that it really doesn't feel like it's part of the real world, more cut off than anything, and then being up the hill makes that seem even more so. The union was a bit naff, too. As for the posh reputation, I popped into the Van Mildert shop in the town centre - they had pairs of trousers reduced TO £149!

ReputationRep:
    The rivalry is strictly healthy - it's all just to create a strong sense of camaraderie within the college - it is the place you'll spend most of your time at Uni, after all.

It's true that different colleges have different amounts of shared/single rooms, but try not to let that put you off your college too much. It's not that bad a situation - at least you're almost sure to make friends with your roommate.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.