Durham Tomorrow anyone? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Peapod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
They said if we can come up with a valid medical reason you can have a single room - so my brains churning that over trying to come up with something!

I agree about the posh accents and the union - but I'm not really concerned about nightlife.
I really don't know if it being a mini world of it's own would bother me, but my alternatives are Manchester (staying at home), Leicester (not as good rep and need all help I can get with a psy degree!), Southampton (5hour trek!).
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kenkennykenken)
All the colleges seem to have something against Hatfield!
Yeah, that's because they have such a high proportion of rahs! They deserve to be flogged.
Sparkly
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, I went to St Chad's for the open days and I thought it was brilliant- so much so, that I've just been on the ucas website and firmly accepted my unconditional offer! At Chad's, there were people from all sorts of backgrounds, the current students were really friendly and were genuinely positive and encouraging about the college. I can't wait to be a part of it.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Good on ya, Sparkly. Chad's seems pretty good - a very tight community, but that's good because you'll know everyone. I think Durham is really good for that.

I've got all my replies, but UCAS still hasn't sent me my final confirmation, although I know Durham will be my firm acceptance.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Thom18)
I've not heard that thing about Geography. It sounds like a good idea - it's really good to build a community atmosphere through the college and department, even though it does result in a little bit of rivalry (I hope no-one here is a Hatfielder!).

I thought the Student Union was nice inside, but a bit ugly outside (although it was apparently designed by the same guy who designed the Sydney Opera House - bizarre!). The night was really good, although Durham isn't exactly known for its nightlife (can anyone say... Klute?). Nevertheless, there's always Newcastle (my home town) to resort to for good nights out.

Durham is definitely my first and only choice, because all my other offers are higher.
Did your reps tell show you how the hatfield song goes, mine did right outside the cathederal. It went:

"The boys from Hatfield College went to Rome to see the Pope,

The boys from Hatfield College went to Rome to see the Pope,

The boys from Hatfield College went to Rome to see the Pope,

And the Pope said **** Hatfield College."

it's the bridge next to the union which was designed by the sydney operah house guy. Apparently is it a very structuraly sound design and won an award for this.

Well done on your ABC offer, how did you manage that?
All the other prospective law students seemed to have offers of AAA.
serendipity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hello, I was also at St Aidan's on the Monday-tuesday open day, and am soooooo confused between Bham and Durham for English! By the way, whoever's interested, the English Dept is fantastic! To everyone who says Durham's too small and quiet - wasn't very quiet yesterday, and just think how many students will be around in term time! Also it's 10 mins on the train to Newcastle - I wanted to go to Nottingham, and that's 15 mins on the bus to the city. Also think of Warwick, stuck in the middle of nowhere with only Coventry and Leamington Spa for company. HAHA!!!

Soo glad I was put in Aidan's - it def seems like a fantastically friendly atmosphere, and I actually met a lot of normal people, some of who were quite fantastic. And look on the bright side about the hill - it's only a 20 minute walk (I timed it!) and you'll get incredibly fit without even trying. The girl showing me round said she can now eat anything and has thighs like Beyonce because of it, which she attributes to the 89 steps, aka the Stairway to Heaven. Lol!!
Sparkly
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Good on ya, Sparkly. Chad's seems pretty good - a very tight community, but that's good because you'll know everyone. I think Durham is really good for that.

I've got all my replies, but UCAS still hasn't sent me my final confirmation, although I know Durham will be my firm acceptance.
Are you going to Chad's Thom? It's brilliant!
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
"...And the Pope said **** Hatfield College."
Hahahaha!!! That's really funny!! Those damn Hatfield rahs deserve everything they get, always talking about "dearest father and mama", "flogging the servants" and "releasing the hounds".

Well done on your ABC offer, how did you manage that? All the other prospective law students seemed to have offers of AAA.
The law department lower the offer to ABC if you're from the North East. They want to represent more people from where the Uni is, instead of just infinite Southerners and Oxbridge rejects, so they encourage locals to apply by lowering the grades. Not bad.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sparkly)
Are you going to Chad's Thom? It's brilliant!
Sorry, I'm a member of The Wood, through and through. I have no bad blood with Chad's though, so we must meet up when we're there and have a few drinks in the student bar - it's so cheap.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got the irish guy for the tour if you know who i'm talking about.
His name is Tim.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got the Van Mildert guy, called Rhys.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
His name is Tim.
how did you know that? Were u there too?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
how did you know that? Were u there too?
I was at the January open day. Tim is the lively and popular Irish lad, about 5'10" with spiky blond hair. He is a first year JCR member studying an arty subject. He works at the college bar and is partial to Bo Selecta! and Peter Kay.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was at the January open day. Tim is the lively and popular Irish lad, about 5'10" with spiky blond hair. He is a first year JCR member studying an arty subject. He works at the college bar and is partial to Bo Selecta! and Peter Kay.
cool, he was a sound guy. I think it was english lit he was reading.
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
He would be sound if he's reading English Irish too huh?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah that sounds right. Back in January he told us that he had to write a 16,000 word dissertation in two days.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah that sounds right. Back in January he told us that he had to write a 16,000 word dissertation in two days.
i felt a bit sorry for the guy as all the potential student on the open day were being so cold even though he was going right out of his way to be nice. He was speaking for ages but no one would say anything back and just looked at the ground.
HereFishyFishy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hahahaha!!! That's really funny!! Those damn Hatfield rahs deserve everything they get, always talking about "dearest father and mama", "flogging the servants" and "releasing the hounds".

hahaha...dear me Thom, are you being serious!? Trust me, not all the Hatfielders are public school rahs with bags of money...Hatfield hate is meant to be harmless banter, don't take it so seriously...
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Laces)
Trust me, not all the Hatfielders are public school rahs with bags of money...Hatfield hate is meant to be harmless banter, don't take it so seriously...
I realise that Hatfield isn't really full of all those kind of people, but it is a well-known fact that there is a Hatfield resentment thing going on, even though it is just friendly rivalry with the intent of instilling some community spirit and camaraderie in each college. I was just exploiting that, just for a laugh though, you understand.
I don't really have anything against Hatfield - illustrated by the tongue-in-cheek comments about "flogging the servants" etc.
HereFishyFishy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I realise that Hatfield isn't really full of all those kind of people, but it is a well-known fact that there is a Hatfield resentment thing going on, even though it is just friendly rivalry with the intent of instilling some community spirit and camaraderie in each college. I was just exploiting that, just for a laugh though, you understand.
I don't really have anything against Hatfield - illustrated by the tongue-in-cheek comments about "flogging the servants" etc.
haha...i know ... but being a forthcoming Hatfielder, i felt i needed to banter back with you To be honest, i think the rivalry is healthy... I found it fairly amusing...witnessing mock stabbings of Hatfield Hoodie wearers!!

One thing i'm going to make sure of....I'm going to be a pashmina. I'm told it's the Hatfield trade mark...I might as well adhere to the stereotype
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (86)
17.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (311)
64.39%
Not yet but I am planning to (23)
4.76%
Not yet but I might (63)
13.04%

Watched Threads