The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people from Essex sometimes face prejudice?

I live in Essex myself and everytime I visit a place and meet new people, the inevitable question is almost always asked "So where are you from?"
When I tell them Essex, they stick their noses up at me and look down on me in disdain. Why does Essex have all of these negative connotations?

People expect me to be really stupid and/or chavvy. I think people also associate Essex girls to be slutty, blonde bimbos, which is hardly the case.

Is it because of TOWIE (which I have NEVER watched) or is it because of a longer term perception that Essex is full of chavs??
Its actually a really nice place to live, OK it does have its fair share of chavs, but no more than any other place. So why do Essex people sometimes face prejudice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As you said, because of TOWIE.
stop telling people you're from Essex! say "greater London" haha
I live in Essex and go to school in Brentwood where TOWIE is set.
down my high street is sugarhut.

when I go to uni I do not plan to tell anyone I'm from essex
You face prejudice for the same reasons everyone else does, be they Muslim, Black, Blonde, Gay, Goth, Privately-educated, whatever.

People are presented with a stereotype about a sector of society and they blindly accept them because it's easier than judging people based on who they actually are. Specificaly to you; I think pizzle223 has it about right :/.
I would sooner tell people I'm a jihadi than from essex, no homo
Reply 5
Original post by JessicaGarlai
stop telling people you're from Essex! say "greater London" haha
I live in Essex and go to school in Brentwood where TOWIE is set.
down my high street is sugarhut.

when I go to uni I do not plan to tell anyone I'm from essex

Why wouldnt you want to tell people your from essex? Do you feel ashamed or embarassed?? :s-smilie:
I moved to Kent in 2011, whenever I tell people I'm originally from Essex they either make fun regarding TOWIE (Which, may I add, is scripted and most definitely not the way most people in Essex actually are), or they turn their nose up at me. But that is their problem I suppose.

I don't really care what others think tbh, I know I'm doing much better than pretty much everyone that I went to school with in my year. (almost everyone has at least 2 children and is stuck on benefits not bothering to work etc) only the minority of people I went to school with actually have a job and I'm one in about 4 people who made it to university.
Reply 7
Essex people don't come across as very bright.
Original post by shaw16
Why wouldnt you want to tell people your from essex? Do you feel ashamed or embarassed?? :s-smilie:

hmm just because of the prejudice really.
however, i have to admit when i want to come across and 'slutty' i do say Essex...

so maybe im the one prejudice-ing....
Reply 9
Original post by JessicaGarlai
hmm just because of the prejudice really.
however, i have to admit when i want to come across and 'slutty' i do say Essex...

so maybe im the one prejudice-ing....

You choose to come across as slutty :confused: why?
Attention seeking?? :rolleyes:
Yeah, because of TOWIE.
probably to do with a certain reality show set in essex.
Original post by shaw16
You choose to come across as slutty :confused: why?
Attention seeking?? :rolleyes:

:') idk, probably...

subconscious
Reply 13
I'm from Essex too and I think the stereotype is rather unfair, and Towie has only helped further the idea that we're all absolute morons. It's so hideously unrealistic and poorly acted too, it isn't even reality TV.

Also I do live in a crappy area of Essex so I wouldn't personally say it's a nice place to live in haha. But indeed there are a lot of lovely places in Essex. I border just on East London though so if people ask me where I'm from I'll often just say East London to avoid mockery :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Be proud to be from Essex! It's a lovely place, and people are stupid if they think that everyone is the same as the people from TOWIE. It's another stupid stereotype but when people ask you where you're from just be proud to say Essex and put them in their place if they turn their noses up at you.

I'm also from Essex and I'm nothing like the girls from TOWIE! :smile:
Reply 15
Well TOWIE sums it up pretty well to be honest...
Original post by shaw16
I live in Essex myself and everytime I visit a place and meet new people, the inevitable question is almost always asked "So where are you from?"
When I tell them Essex, they stick their noses up at me and look down on me in disdain. Why does Essex have all of these negative connotations?

I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that many Essexians (or whatever they're called) seem to be working class by nature, but middle-class in affluence. This phenomenon (back home, in Australia) is known as "cashed up bogans" (equivalent of chavs, though maybe more working class than underclass), and the middle-class sneers at their "McMansions" (large new-build houses in the outer suburbs, rather than the property close to the centre the middle-class tends to inhabit).

I think there's a degree of pique that many middle-class people see opportunities for themselves and their kids disappearing, while these working class folks from Essex flaunting not just their wealth but their culture (such as it is) as well.
Reply 17
It's not because of TOWIE - the stereotype existed long before that show. Long long before.

The show merely reinforced it.
Essex gets a bad rep, however it is actually a very beautiful County. We have great countryside and have a coast meaning we have some lovely beaches. Don't be ashamed to say you are from Essex - anyone who actually believes the stereotypes is probably the sort of person you wouldn't want to know anyway...

Sometimes the "I'm from Essex" line can come in handy - I've found it to be good way of throwing a few funnies in when you are talking to girls when outside of the County. :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by Jordanleighbaker
Be proud to be from Essex! It's a lovely place, and people are stupid if they think that everyone is the same as the people from TOWIE. It's another stupid stereotype but when people ask you where you're from just be proud to say Essex and put them in their place if they turn their noses up at you.

I'm also from Essex and I'm nothing like the girls from TOWIE! :smile:

I totally agree with you. +1 Rep :wink: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending