The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography A Unit 1: 4 June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aimeeeeeeeeee*
Does any one know what the grade boundaries normally are??

Around 50 something for 100%
Original post by Dannyboy1236
Around 50 something for 100%

Sorry, do you mean for an A*??
Original post by aimeeeeeeeeee*
Sorry, do you mean for an A*??

I think the A* boundary is around 50,
And then 100% ums is about the high fifties... Our scorees are converted to ums which then works out our grade..so you can get less than75/75 and still get 100%

Is that still confusing?
And then 100% ums is about the high fifties... Our scorees are converted to ums which then works out our grade..so you can get less than75/75 and still get 100%

Is that still confusing?

No, that's great thanks! :smile:
Reply 44
I'm also doing, Coasts, Water on the land, Restless Earth, i'm resitting last years as well as doing the human exam next week.
Does anyone have any idea what might come up questions/case studies wise for unit 1?
Any help will be appreciated
I don't see whats wrong with the CGP revision guide if you look past all the colours , its on point with the spec..
Reply 46
Anyone got any ideas of likely case studies/topics for Restless Earth, Water on Land, and Coasts?

Thanks!

EDIT:
The specification says for rivers we need 'A case study of a dam/reservoir to consider...'
Does this mean we need both a dam AND a reservoir, or just one of the two?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47

Is that still confusing?

I swear 80% is A* so that's 60/75?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by JustaDreamer

I don't like the managing water one, probably my least favourite. :frown:

What's your case study for managing water??
Original post by merlynct
What's your case study for managing water??

Kielder is mine.

I'm doing Water on the Land, Coastal Zone (only 2/80 of us in are year are doing it... :s-smilie:) and Restless Earth.
I have 19 case studies... Oh dear...
Oh and the English Language tomorrow! Fun fun fun! :redface:
Original post by Achroite
Anyone got any ideas of likely case studies/topics for Restless Earth, Water on Land, and Coasts?

Thanks!

EDIT:
The specification says for rivers we need 'A case study of a dam/reservoir to consider...'

Well you could do a dam (like Three Gorges, China) for your hard engineering and a reservoir for your water management in the UK. However, if you look at a dam in the UK you could just learn one case study for two potential questions.
Original post by Achroite

No you only need one! I'm doing the one in the CGP revision guide which is the Rutland Reservoir one. Dam and reservoir go hand in hand because you need a dam to make a reservoir.
Reply 52
Does anyone know what case studies we need for 'Ice on the Land'?

Slightly worried about this topic, we rushed through it a bit!
Reply 53
Thanks for the replies guys, got a new quarrel now.

For The Coastal Zone, we need: "A case study of coastal management to assess the costs and benefits of strategies adopted"
I'm fairly clueless what to use, in class we've done both minehead which is a bunch of hard+soft schemes on a tourist resort.
We've also done one on Slapton Sands, which involves alot of Cost Benefit Analysis.

Which one should I use! Slapton only has the 'CBA Score' where Minehead tells me the cost of defences vs. the potential damage inflicted.

Thanks a bunch... THIS IS URGENT!!!
Reply 54
Original post by saffire
Does anyone know what case studies we need for 'Ice on the Land'?

Slightly worried about this topic, we rushed through it a bit!

You need:
Case study of a glacier recent retreat since nineteenth century: causes and evidence.
Case study of an Alpine area for winter sports and an area for sightseeing of glaciers the attractions for tourists; economic, social and environmental impact. The need for management and the management strategies used and their level of success. Avalanche hazards.
Reply 55
For restless earth do we only need one volcanic eruption case study?
Reply 56
Original post by Srf123
For restless earth do we only need one volcanic eruption case study?

The spec says a case study of 'a' volcanic eruption. So you could assume one, but I've got and MEDC and LEDC one under my belt just to be sure.
Reply 57
Guys question:

What case studies are needed for Coastal Zone?
Thanks
Has anyone got notes on water management in uk case study
Cliff collapse and coastal management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending