The Student Room Group

Struggle with right turns at traffic lights :(

There's two lanes (both for turning right), I'm on the left lane and when turning I accidentally cross over to the right lane, I don't do it by purpose but my instructor always tells me off for this, how do I perfect my turns at traffic lights?
The two lanes are separate until you're past the junction and (I presume) there's a merge. When you're doing the right turn from the left lane, drive a little further forward before starting to turn. That way you won't enter the lane on your right and you'll stay in your lane.

You must keep to your lane, otherwise you'll hit someone on your right.
Reply 2
Original post by Fjarskafinn
The two lanes are separate until you're past the junction and (I presume) there's a merge. When you're doing the right turn from the left lane, drive a little further forward before starting to turn. That way you won't enter the lane on your right and you'll stay in your lane.

They don't merge together, both lanes a for right turn and it's a one way road, so basically what you're suggesting is go as far forward as I possibly can go? So kind of like the letter 'r'?
Original post by SFeet
They don't merge together, both lanes a for right turn and it's a one way road, so basically what you're suggesting is go as far forward as I possibly can go? So kind of like the letter 'r'?

Ok, I can picture it.

Yes, I do mean like a letter 'r' - imagine if the cars were painting on the road as two cars took that right turn simultaneously (and safely). If you viewed the road from above, you'd see a small curve (made by the right-hand lane car) with a larger one (made by the left-hand lane car) around it.

The right-hand lane car has a much tighter turn compared to the left-hand lane car. If you're in the left-hand lane you need to take a longer curve, which involves driving forward further than if you were in the right-hand lane. There's a longer 'straight' before you begin turning. It's not a case of driving as far forward as possible, but enough so you can allow cars on your right to make their turn with plenty of room.
Reply 4
The opposite is also true; if you approach in the far right lane for whatever reason and the adjacent lane also feeds traffic into the same right turn, then you must keep right and well apart from all other traffic until the turn is completed. Once straightened, you must then review your position so you are not obstructing an overtaking lane unnecessarily.

Original post by SFeet
my instructor always tells me off for this, how do I ...?
Your instructor should be analysing the fault with you and giving you a suitable remedy, rather than "telling you off" then leaving you wondering what is wrong. If you remain puzzled by other things he tells you off for, with no clue how to fix it, it might be worth changing instructor.
(edited 10 years ago)
Look where you want the car to go.

Sounds obvious, but I find that be it on a bicycle, motorbike or a car, if I'm looking at a point on the road, I'll naturally hit it. Try concentrating on where you want your front right wheel to be, a yard or so to the left of the lane divide.
Reply 6
Original post by Advisor
The opposite is also true; if you approach in the far right lane for whatever reason and the adjacent lane also feeds traffic into the same right turn, then you must keep right and well apart from all other traffic until the turn is completed. Once straightened, you must then review your position so you are not obstructing an overtaking lane unnecessarily.

Your instructor should be analysing the fault with you and giving you a suitable remedy, rather than "telling you off" then leaving you wondering what is wrong. If you remain puzzled by other things he tells you off for, with no clue how to fix it, it might be worth changing instructor.

It's a bit too late to change instructors now, I got my test very soon, if I fail the test then I'll probably consider changing instructors maybe
Reply 7
Original post by mikeyd85
Look where you want the car to go.

Sounds obvious, but I find that be it on a bicycle, motorbike or a car, if I'm looking at a point on the road, I'll naturally hit it. Try concentrating on where you want your front right wheel to be, a yard or so to the left of the lane divide.

Will try :smile:
Original post by Fjarskafinn

Imagine a car to your right the whole time, you dont want to cut someone up. I used to have a similar thing going around a two lane round about in the right hand lane - just be aware of other drivers and their lanes!! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by SFeet
There's two lanes (both for turning right), I'm on the left lane and when turning I accidentally cross over to the right lane, I don't do it by purpose but my instructor always tells me off for this, how do I perfect my turns at traffic lights?

why don't you just go in the right hand lane? but there should be some sort of markings on the road to guide you :s x
Reply 10
Original post by Abbbbz
why don't you just go in the right hand lane? but there should be some sort of markings on the road to guide you :s x

I actually don't know why I don't use the right hand lane, my instructor always tells me to stay in the left hand lane for some reason, and there's only markings on the straight bit of the road (no markings on where the bend is)
Reply 11
Original post by SFeet
I actually don't know why I don't use the right hand lane, my instructor always tells me to stay in the left hand lane for some reason, and there's only markings on the straight bit of the road (no markings on where the bend is)

Hm, have you asked him if you could possibly try the other lane? if he says no you could always do it in your test because he won't be there. Then again maybe the right hand lane is harder? he's probably got a reason for it, you could even ask him how to perfect it or could ask what you're doing wrong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending