Turn on thread page Beta

Sheffield, Bath, or UMIST? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently confused about which offer i should choose. I received offers from Bath, Sheffield, and UMIST for Chemical Engineering. I need some help with my choice, not just for the best Uni academically, but also for the best city to live in for the next 3 or four years. You see, im not from the UK and therefore know nothing about these cities. Your advice would be very useful.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kraslan)
    I am currently confused about which offer i should choose. I received offers from Bath, Sheffield, and UMIST for Chemical Engineering. I need some help with my choice, not just for the best Uni academically, but also for the best city to live in for the next 3 or four years. You see, im not from the UK and therefore know nothing about these cities. Your advice would be very useful.
    Thanks
    hey, im from near manchester and if u want a big, lively, dynamic city then it is definately for u! i might even stay here for uni myself, even though ive always lived here! UMIST is mergin with uni of manchester from next year and this will mean facilities and money are definately on the up! i love manchester, u cant get bored and whatever u enjoy u can get here! Hope this helps, kinda biased i know but i dont know about the other 2 choices!

ReputationRep:
    Bath is not only the best academically, but it is also and amazing world heritage city. it's a really beautiful place to study.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen, Sheffield and Manchester are dumps.

Bath is, by far, the best academically.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester = HUGE
    Bath = tiny
    Sheffield = just right (its also supposed to be the safest large city in the UK)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lupin Loopy)
    Manchester = HUGE
    Bath = tiny
    Sheffield = just right (its also supposed to be the safest large city in the UK)
    i live near sheffield and personally think it's a dump. as for being safe, one of my friends was mugged in the street at knifepoint.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is actually one of the safest cities in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    Bath is not only the best academically, but it is also and amazing world heritage city. it's a really beautiful place to study.
    However beautiful Bath may or may not be, you have experienced all the city has to offer students by the end of Freshers Week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    However beautiful Bath may or may not be, you have experienced all the city has to offer students by the end of Freshers Week.
    I presume this is your 'hearsay' as you are at UMIST - unless of course you have studied at Bath and are now on your second degree - how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is an awesome city, not a bloody dump. Very pretty, very busy, and really quite inspiring. Also, UMIST is particularly well renowned for it's engineering/sciency graduates, and I'm pretty confident that in some parts of the world it will be more renowned than Bath. However, if you're thinking about coming to England for the overwhelmingly English experience, the city of Bath is very much for you, though the university has far too much concrete for anybody's liking.

Edit: I think I've raised quite a good point actually, people in this thread are saying that Manchester is a dump and Bath is a scenic painting, but actually considering the universities themselves, independent of the cities, the buildings and greenery of Manchester University are considerably more 'English' than the U. of Bath. UMIST is a bit of a block admittedly but they're integrating anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Manchester is an awesome city, not a bloody dump. Very pretty, very busy, and really quite inspiring. Also, UMIST is particularly well renowned for it's engineering/sciency graduates, and I'm pretty confident that in some parts of the world it will be more renowned than Bath. However, if you're thinking about coming to England for the overwhelmingly English experience, the city of Bath is very much for you, though the university has far too much concrete for anybody's liking.

Edit: I think I've raised quite a good point actually, people in this thread are saying that Manchester is a dump and Bath is a scenic painting, but actually considering the universities themselves, independent of the cities, the buildings and greenery of Manchester University are considerably more 'English' than the U. of Bath. UMIST is a bit of a block admittedly but they're integrating anyway.
    When I glanced down the replies I was about to offer the same point about people liking scenic Universities... usually Arts students or girls. Anyway yes, I agree with fishpaste that if you're a City person, Manchester is cheap and cheerful compared to London and just as good in my opinion. International students wanting to know what ye olde England is like, go to Bath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    When I glanced down the replies I was about to offer the same point about people liking scenic Universities... usually Arts students or girls. Anyway yes, I agree with fishpaste that if you're a City person, Manchester is cheap and cheerful compared to London and just as good in my opinion. International students wanting to know what ye olde England is like, go to Bath.
    But anybody staying on campus in the university is not going to be experiencing ye olde England, just ye olde concrete.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why some people may not like Manchester as its a huge city (it makes Edinburgh seem like a village!) and can seem daunting for people used to remote villages.

However what Manchester offers is musuems, bars, clubs, great shopping centre, local countryside few cities can offer all this.

To me I take Manchester too much too granted to the point that I probably would not be happy living any where else because I would miss the place too much. For students it dosn't really get much better than 550 licenced bars and clubs in the city centre.

Museums and art galleries all the over the place and shops from Poundland to Harvey Nichols and Selfridges. Oh and bus travel can be as little as £3 a week.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.