The Student Room Group

Choosing extra subjects at university

Here it goes.

I will be studying Computer Science at the Uni of Edinburgh and I have 40 extra credits to choose from. Here's a dilemma:

1) I admire programming and anything technical thus I think about taking some engineering(electrical maybe) courses to fill extra credits I have. I wonder whether it's not going to be a struggle to balance out this:

* Part-time work
* Electrical engineering + Computer Science

2) No matter that I'm not that interested in all these societies, I think about joining some in order to relax from mental work.

Would there be enough hours to cope with this schedule? Don't offer any humanities courses as an easier subject to fill extra credits because, well, I am just not interested in them.

Since there many students on these forums, could someone enlighten me on my choices?
You're aware that universities work on the basis that a certain number of credits equals a certain number of hours work, right? So humanities will not be easier, Christ. Fewer contact hours, yes. But also a lot more reading and self study.

So unless it is labelled as an intensive course, you will still be required to work the same number of hours. The only variant in this will be your aptitude for the subjects. So if you're worried you will struggle greatly and will have to put in many more hours than usual to grasp the subject then only take it if you're very keen and highly motivated.
yeah the electronic courses are quite hard see how you deal with your degree first picking up more work is usually a bad idea
Original post by Valentas
Here it goes.

I will be studying Computer Science at the Uni of Edinburgh and I have 40 extra credits to choose from. Here's a dilemma:

1) I admire programming and anything technical thus I think about taking some engineering(electrical maybe) courses to fill extra credits I have. I wonder whether it's not going to be a struggle to balance out this:

* Part-time work
* Electrical engineering + Computer Science

2) No matter that I'm not that interested in all these societies, I think about joining some in order to relax from mental work.

Would there be enough hours to cope with this schedule? Don't offer any humanities courses as an easier subject to fill extra credits because, well, I am just not interested in them.

Since there many students on these forums, could someone enlighten me on my choices?

The programming modules will definitely take a lot out of you. Unless you are pretty confident at programming in the languages that will be used for the modules you are thinking of choosing, I would advise you to reconsider. Just depends on how willing you are to spend hours trying to debug your code if it goes wrong...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending