The Student Room Group

Differentials

We have that (y^2 dx + x(y^2) dy) is not an exact differential. The question is: write this differential in the form g df, for functions f(x,y) and g(y) to be determined.

I just don't get this question and haven't come across it before. Any help is much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Peter8837
We have that (y^2 dx + x(y^2) dy) is not an exact differential. The question is: write this differential in the form g df, for functions f(x,y) and g(y) to be determined.

I just don't get this question and haven't come across it before. Any help is much appreciated.

so we have (I'll use & instead of curly d) df=(&f/&x)dx+(&f/&y)dy

and g(y) is some function of y

so it seems we should be able to factor out g(y) and obtain an exact differential but that doesn't seem to be possible so are you sure that you typed out the question correctly?

expanding df in the coordinate (dual)basis and equating coefficients gives:
&f/&x=y^2/g(y) and &f/&y=xy^2/g(y)
note that &f/&x is only a function of y
Reply 3
Original post by natninja
so we have (I'll use & instead of curly d) df=(&f/&x)dx+(&f/&y)dy

and g(y) is some function of y

so it seems we should be able to factor out g(y) and obtain an exact differential but that doesn't seem to be possible so are you sure that you typed out the question correctly?

Here is the question (the last part) so you can see it for yourself:

VC.png

Original post by ben-smith
expanding df in the coordinate (dual)basis and equating coefficients gives:
&f/&x=y^2/g(y) and &f/&y=xy^2/g(y)
note that &f/&x is only a function of y

Right... sorry that's not clear! What is & here?
Here is the question (the last part) so you can see it for yourself:

VC.png

Right... sorry that's not clear! What is & here?

the partial derivative d thingy :tongue: (the same as natninja)
to be clear:
gdf=gfxdx+gfydygdf=g \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+g\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy
Differentials at a point form a vector space (the cotangent space) so we may equate coefficients with y2dx+x(y2)dyy^2 dx + x(y^2) dy giving:
gfx=y2[br]gfy=xy2g \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x}=y^2[br]g\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial y}=xy^2
To deduce a form for f, note that it's partial derivative wrt x only depends on y.
Reply 6
Original post by ben-smith
to be clear:
gdf=gfxdx+gfydygdf=g \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+g\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy
Differentials at a point form a vector space (the cotangent space) so we may equate coefficients with y2dx+x(y2)dyy^2 dx + x(y^2) dy giving:
gfx=y2[br]gfy=xy2g \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x}=y^2[br]g\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial y}=xy^2
To deduce a form for f, note that it's partial derivative wrt x only depends on y.

Sorry for this late reply!

So f(x,y) = x h(y), some function h depending only on y.

=> gh = y^2, AND g(dh/dy) = y^2.

Is that right? If so I can't think of a h(y) that satisfies the above...
Sorry for this late reply!

So f(x,y) = x h(y), some function h depending only on y.

=> gh = y^2, AND g(dh/dy) = y^2.

Is that right? If so I can't think of a h(y) that satisfies the above...

You have some freedom in the choice of solutions I think so the quickest way to solve it is to make an easy choice of f. For example f=xy^2/g. Subbing this into the other equation yields an ODE in y and g.

Quick Reply

Latest