The Student Room Group

Exexcel A2 English Literature - Help needed

Hi

This exam is made up of 2 sections, 1st section being 'unseen' you are given a piece of unseen poetry/prose and are asked to comment on language/structure/form. Most people persist they will do the poetry, although I find the prose easier. Any tips? as I always seem to get around 25/40 on this section in past papers although realistically need 32/40 + in order to get 111/120 UMS I require for an A overall. (10 marks ao1, 30 marks ao2)

The second section is an essay, focused primarily on something to do with war, the two novels I have studied are 'The Kite Runner,' and 'The Ghost Road.' We can also use selected poems, although this isn't 100% necessary and I do not plan to use any. Again just wondering if anybody has any tips? (10 marks ao1, 10 marks ao2, 20 marks ao3, 20 marks ao4.

The paper is out of 100 raw marks, 120 UMS.

ao1 - Stating a point/how strong is your argument.
ao2 - Analysis of language.
ao3 - Comparisons between the texts and use of critics.
a04 - Historical context.

Thankyou!
Reply 1
Bunp
Reply 2
With the unseen I find it easier to make a few or one paragraph per catergory ie for prose:
-Intro
-Structure (use of dialogue, repetition, sentence structure/length, caesuras etc.) and how each of these contributes to the "meaning" the author is conveying - always refer and link each point back to the Q.
-Language (Poetic language, similies/metaphors/personification, if its prose perhaps colloquialisms?)
-Form (Narrative style 1st/2nd/3rd person?, use of techniques such as free indirect discourse and how these techniques highlight perhaps the genre or mood of the prose)
-Conclusion

-A brief plan at the beginning is usually helpful and keeps you on track

With the "Spies" "Kite Runner" section, I have always referred to both texts in all my essays and at least one poem, maybe two.
Sometimes I will use one of the novels and a poem as my main focus and bring in the other novel as a "light touch" to tie up some loose ends on some points

I think that referring to 3 texts shows the range of genres and makes the examiner believe you are in a top band since you've shown a range.

Although the question always says "at least two texts you have studied", doesn't mean you should just do 2 texts, I reckon referring to a poem even as a light touch would improve your marks :smile: Remember to refer to other readers in this section too as that AO carries 20 marks!

If you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to help
Reply 3
Hi I'm doing the same exam on thursday:smile:
For the unseen part, I always do the poetry. I did it for my AS and it paid off as I'm much more comfortable analysing poetry. Though, if prose is easier for you then definitely go ahead just make sure you know all of the literary terms and techniques common in prose and have practiced before hand.

As for the section B, I have studied war poetry, The Kite Runner and Spies. Without a doubt I will be talking about The Kite Runner as my central novel, and will try and include as many poems as I can within the time left. My teacher said around 5, but not to try and cram loads in and talk about them in depth.
As for you, talking about the two novels will be fine but I think contrasting with a poem will probably make you seem like a more confident literary student (as otherwise the examiner might think you can only analyse prose, esp. if you chose prose in section A too).

Hope this helps, good luck for Thurs! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending