Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sorry bout this but i was wondering if someone could explian this to me. I applied to Nottingham for psychology in october and still have heard nothing, but they have put the course on ucas extra and this means that they have vacancies doesnt it? How can they do this when some applicants have heard nothing from them, im so angry and confused!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstenb)
    sorry bout this but i was wondering if someone could explian this to me. I applied to Nottingham for psychology in october and still have heard nothing, but they have put the course on ucas extra and this means that they have vacancies doesnt it? How can they do this when some applicants have heard nothing from them, im so angry and confused!!!
    Have you tried calling them up and asking them about the progress of your application....cos maybe they've somehow overlooked yours?? :confused:

G

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they just got a lot less applciations than usual, even if they offer most people places theyll still be some spare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    Maybe they just got a lot less applciations than usual, even if they offer most people places theyll still be some spare?
    ring them up!

ReputationRep:
    I rang them up, and felt at ease once I spoke to them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for nottingham psychology too!
    Maybe our applications blew out the window together!

Although can't say I'm too bothered - I probably won't take a place if it's offered.

ReputationRep:
    Aww gosh.. must be real annoying having to wait.. hmmm..

(Original post by Leeroy)
    very unlikely seeing as last year there were 30 applicants per place and it's the best psych departments in the country...

ReputationRep:
    I hope they don't tell me until 31st mArch so I get longer to make my decision!
    It'd feel rushed if they suddenly reject/accept me in the next few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstenb)
    As other people have said, ring them up. Also ring UCAS and see if they're heard from Nottingham either. I applied mid-late October last year but heard from them at the start of January.

They may have kept a few places for unsuccessful Oxbridge candidates who apply to Nottingham through Ucas Extra, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't have enough applicants this year. It's a really oversubscribed course, so I guess it takes a lot of time for them to go through all the applications, especially those who *just* meet the grade requirements (most people on my course got 3 or 4 As at A-level - yet the entry requirement is only ABB).

ReputationRep:
    Rejection bah!!

You'd think they'd be a bit kinder as they could find out I firmly accepted them for English last year.

but hey, twas not to be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    Rejection bah!!

You'd think they'd be a bit kinder as they could find out I firmly accepted them for English last year.

but hey, twas not to be...
    I'm sorry peapod. If it makes you feel any better I got rejected from them 2. Out of interest I emailed to ask why (I had already decided on Warwick as my firm choice at this point) and they sent me back a standarised email (making me think they must have rejected a lot of people) which said that the high volume of applicants this year meant that many people with the right grades, even AAA/AAAA predictions have been rejected - but that they couldnt discuss how my application compared to others because of confidentiality reasons.

Just though that might help a little......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    As other people have said, ring them up. Also ring UCAS and see if they're heard from Nottingham either. I applied mid-late October last year but heard from them at the start of January.

They may have kept a few places for unsuccessful Oxbridge candidates who apply to Nottingham through Ucas Extra, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't have enough applicants this year. It's a really oversubscribed course, so I guess it takes a lot of time for them to go through all the applications, especially those who *just* meet the grade requirements (most people on my course got 3 or 4 As at A-level - yet the entry requirement is only ABB).

IS THAT REALLY THEIR ALTERIOR MOTIVE FOR PUTTING COURSES THROUGH EXTRA??? FOR OXBRIDGE STUDENTS?? THATS DISGRACEFUL, NOT TO MENTION DISHEARTENING!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    IS THAT REALLY THEIR ALTERIOR MOTIVE FOR PUTTING COURSES THROUGH EXTRA??? FOR OXBRIDGE STUDENTS?? THATS DISGRACEFUL, NOT TO MENTION DISHEARTENING!!
    lol and i guess the majority of oxbridge students wont be lookin on ucas extra as they have good offers anway...ooh nottingham u silly fools!

(Original post by young_free)

:rolleyes: hardly, last year UCL had ucas extra places for psychology as well, they probably rotate and make sure there are decent places left for people who change their minds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    I'm sorry peapod. If it makes you feel any better I got rejected from them 2. Out of interest I emailed to ask why (I had already decided on Warwick as my firm choice at this point) and they sent me back a standarised email (making me think they must have rejected a lot of people) which said that the high volume of applicants this year meant that many people with the right grades, even AAA/AAAA predictions have been rejected - but that they couldnt discuss how my application compared to others because of confidentiality reasons.

Just though that might help a little......
    Thanks for that.
    It just seems mean as they could find out it was my first choice last year easily and I already have the grades. I will probably go to Durham or Southampton or manchester.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.