Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This thread is for people thinking of applying to Cambridge for 2014 entry and any kind application-to-Cambridge related discussion.

What are you planning to apply for? (Subject, college) What are you doing to prepare?

Good luck guys!

EDIT: Link to the stalking page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...age_2014_entry

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of to applying to NatSci (Biology) or Medicine (still unsure) at Corpus Christi.
    I have been reading around the subject my particular interest Genetics and went to Salters Chem Camp as I had a little bit of interest in Chemistry. Also a science prefect for 4 years. Done 2 weeks in a lab Medical Genetics.

Anyone going to Cambridge open day?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty set on Geography, preferably at Downing (love the location and it's right next to the Geography Dept!) but even though Geography is one of the 'less competitive' subjects, Downing seems really hard to get into...

I'm going to the open day on July 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claree)
    Out of interest, why Corpus Christi?

I'm also going to the July 4th open day with a group from school.
    As a mad fan of genetics it's where Crick and Watson discovered the DNA in the laboratry in Corpus Christi.

What college you interested in?

I indeed plan on attending the open day too.

ReputationRep:
    Interested in Economics in Kings but sort of deterred by the extreme competition. 90 applicants for 10 spaces this year. Depends on how my UMS goes, predicting myself to get 93% across 3 subjects, which I don't think is enough. But who knows, that's an issue for future me to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Interested in Economics in Kings but sort of deterred by the extreme competition. 90 applicants for 10 spaces this year. Depends on how my UMS goes, predicting myself to get 93% across 3 subjects, which I don't think is enough. But who knows, that's an issue for future me to deal with.
    I know what you're talking about. Economics is the second most competitive subject to get into in Cambridge.

I'm looking through the colleges myself too.

This might help:
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ly/statistics/

King's is one of the most competitive colleges in Cambridge (11,1% of the economics applicants get an offer).The economics average is 14,9%.
    Some colleges offered as little as 6,3% (Clare) and 8,3% (Queens'), while others 23,3% (St John's), 18% (Homerton) and 21,7% (Magdalene).

ReputationRep:
    But you could be pooled as other colleges might not have so many applicants per place for economics so even if you didn't get into to Kings you may get in at a different college if pooled so I wouldn't worry about the no. of applicants per place at one specific college, more about the no. of applicants per place in the university at a whole (though I'd rather not be pooled than pooled, but above all I'd rather get a place than not - that's me being really wishful and thinking I might get a place at all!).

How do you predict the UMS you think you're going to get? I didn't do any modules in January as my school has a policy to only do them in June so I've not really got anything to go on. You could end up with more/less than 93% average! I think 93% though is certainly in the ball-park range for Cambridge (and UMS isn't the only thing they look at, even though it is important).

You might as well apply as you definitely won't get a place if you don't apply.
    I know the UMS for 4 exams that I've sat earlier in the year (3 maths and 1 physics ISA). The rest of my maths exams, I looked at the unofficial mark schemes and what everyone else had got to give me a rough idea of how well I've done. :rolleyes:

Ironically I've messed Economics up, should get a B in one of the units, but the website said they look at the 3 best subjects. So there's a chance but not a great one.

But why would you not want to be pooled? It'd be like a personal achievement.

I don't mean to put anyone off but I took part in the Shadowing Scheme in Feb, and I asked the person I was shadowing about the pool and is it fair? Does it actually work? He said not really, you do have a better chance applying to less popular colleges but he might have been wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think being pooled would be really stressful, and would prolong the stress of waiting to know if you'd get an offer. (Also I'd rather get into the college that I apply to since I'll probably apply to the college I fancy most!)

Of course I'd rather be pooled and get an offer from the pool than not get an offer!
    I'd be delighted to be pooled, it's better than being rejected outright since at least you know you're Cambridge standard (sort of). I'm pretty sure after an interview you'd be picking up on all the little mistakes you've made and worrying about it, getting pooled means you basically did well in the interview.

But you've got a point, you want the college you applied for but they're all good at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering when we were going to have one of these. I'm hoping to apply for English, although I'm worried this may be a little premature without results yet. Hopefully I'm not being too optimistic. No idea yet on what college. I like Corpus Christi a lot, especially because of the Marlowe link. Peterhouse looks terrific too. I'm going to the open day on the fifth. Anyone else for English?

ReputationRep:
    Wow this thread makes me feel like a veteran and I haven't even taken my A2 exams yet! Good luck with your results and good luck applying guys

(Original post by Paramore<3)
    I'm pretty set on Geography, preferably at Downing (love the location and it's right next to the Geography Dept!) but even though Geography is one of the 'less competitive' subjects, Downing seems really hard to get into...

:hi: Geography offer holder here! If you ever want any help/advice, feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    I will be applying to the Engineering course, in Trinity College. It is an amazing department and I am quiet excited to finally go ahead and apply..
    I will go to the opening day aswell although I haven't checked the date yet.
    Also we really do need a stalking page in early october ish...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thephysicsguy)
    I will be applying to the Engineering course, in Trinity College. It is an amazing department and I am quiet excited to finally go ahead and apply..
    I will go to the opening day aswell although I haven't checked the date yet.
    Also we really do need a stalking page in early october ish...
    Good college choice :yy: although I would recommend that everyone have a good look around if possible.

Don't worry about the wiki page, I'll create one at some point if a Uni mod hasn't by then.

And make sure you lot post more than the Oxford applicants for 2014.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Wow this thread makes me feel like a veteran and I haven't even taken my A2 exams yet! Good luck with your results and good luck applying guys

:hi: Geography offer holder here! If you ever want any help/advice, feel free to PM me
    Woo hoo, Cambridge geographers on TSR seem few and far between compared to the others - that's incredible, well done! What college?
    Haha... you have opened a can of worms now... I definitely will, thank you so much! Good luck for your A2s, you definitely have something to aim for.

ReputationRep:
    Woo hoo, Cambridge geographers on TSR seem few and far between compared to the others - that's incredible, well done! What college?
    Haha... you have opened a can of worms now... I definitely will, thank you so much! Good luck for your A2s, you definitely have something to aim for.
    They do! Especially at this time of year. There's about 5 of us on here I think, but most of them are off studying, probably Haha thanks, Fitzwilliam. It's quite big on geography, it has the most fellows, most students, has its own geography society and has a slightly different interview. My bias is already becoming apparent But Downing is also a great choice geography-wise, particularly given its close proximity to the department as you said.

I'm happy to help! I might not have made it were it not for the help of my lovely teacher, so I feel like the least I could do is help out here

ReputationRep:

Excellent choice of subject. This one will go far.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha right on cue the Offer holders for 2013 are piling in!

HSPS offer holder here for Trinity College, anyone with any questions or who wants to help me procrastinate PM me!

Good luck everyone, focus on your AS levels for now, and try and get to the Open Day if you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Excellent choice of subject. This one will go far.
    Here's hoping, haha. For a moment I thought you were one of those sarky geography-bashers, but behold! Congrats on your offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm applying to do maths at Pembroke in 2014. Any tips on the process would be gratefully received - such as average UMS needed to auto-pool if it even exists for maths applicants; what kind of questions appear at interview; how the personal statement should read for maths applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Here's hoping, haha. For a moment I thought you were one of those sarky geography-bashers, but behold! Congrats on your offer.
    There are more of us than you'd expect. One user, Desktiny, has an offer for Geography from Downing so she might be worth getting in touch with. Bulbasaur is pretty much the king of Geography anyway.

I'm obviously biased towards Trinity Hall but have you considered...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    IT'S SO PRETTY
    Name:  1280px-TrinHall_LathLawn.JPG
Views: 987
Size:  109.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    I don't have much clue which college to apply for. I might have a better idea of where I'd like to live after the open day/visiting again. I'm quite interested in Clare College for obvious reasons though! (but I don't have any more intelligent reason than my name)

I play a lot of music so want to look at practice rooms etc. in the colleges.

Have you been to Cambridge before/looked around the colleges?
    I personally thought Clare College suits you and my friend chose Jesus college as she felt that if she was rejected she would be rejected by Jesus. I haven't been to Camrbidge myself. Mainly Oxford due to my cousin being there.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.