The Student Room Group

Just do not belong in university

Well here's the deal

-I don't drink and that makes me feel boring, or just makes me boring. For example I just saw my mates at another uni successfully complete the Milk Challenge, and I'm thinking 'why can't I do that?' I say it's 'cos I care about my health but it's more like I couldn't handle vomming everywhere, I'm a lightweight
-My anxiety goes sky-high when I sleep terribly (I can't remember the last time I truly slept well or got to bed before midnight) and that makes me weak
-I comfort-eat a lot so that makes me weak too
-I get easily stressed by deadlines and stuff, by work in general BOOHOO
-I am at a red-brick and I just think what the hell am I doing here? How the hell did I manage to get a scholarship? I don't fit in. I'm stupid, naive and a crybaby mummy's boy
Seriously if you talk to me you would realise I am a fecking dunce. I have delayed emotional reactions ffs
-I actually had to use a site-blocker program to stop myself procrastinating because I have no willpower to just not do it
-I am secretly a pretentious know-it-all-****er who always used long words and stupid jargon to make himself seem better than everyone else when he didn't have a clue, and this is probably how I got into the red-brick
-I am a virgin who spends most nights ****ing and yet has a girlfriend! What the hell! Can't help but think she's white-knighting me
-I go to the gym and I'm a skinny ****. I can just see all the other guys laughing at me. Even when Iw as bigger and stronger still they were laughing at me. Hell even the coaches are laughing sometimes..
-I have this thing where if I think for too long I just get angry and scream and generally hate myself

Well all this boils down to is I just do not belong in a student life which is essentially about manning up, getting **** done, not being such a stupid wuss about working and not getting sleep and hangovers blah blah and getting the **** over yourself and your problems. Which is, ironically, what being an adult is about
I am going to get eaten alive by the real world hahaha

So-has anyone else ever felt like this? Like they just were not cut for adult life? And how did they get pas it?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Get a ****ing grip
Reply 2
The negativity level here is above breaking point.
Reply 3
Do you even lift bro?
Give it another year and I'm sure you'll be fine! If not then maybe it's best to transfer, regardless of what anyone else is saying, if you're un-comfortable somewhere it's best to make a change for the better and remove yourself from such a situation, so my advice would be to perhaps transfer to another uni if after a year you still feel bad?

And I'm sure you're not alone, I've had thoughts like this lol. You're just a normal guy man :smile:

It also depends how long you've been at Uni? If it's like your 3rd/2nd year then there is no point. If you're doing a degree like med, I'd stick it out it'll be worth it. In fact, I'd just stick it out regardless, my qualifications are what matter, seeing as I've worked so hard to get here, what with a-levels/GCSE's and stuff...
Reply 5
Original post by reneetaylor
Give it another year and I'm sure you'll be fine! If not then maybe it's best to transfer, regardless of what anyone else is saying, if you're un-comfortable somewhere it's best to make a change for the better and remove yourself from such a situation, so my advice would be to perhaps transfer to another uni if after a year you still feel bad?

And I'm sure you're not alone, I've had thoughts like this lol. You're just a normal guy man :smile:

It also depends how long you've been at Uni? If it's like your 3rd/2nd year then there is no point. If you're doing a degree like med, I'd stick it out it'll be worth it. In fact, I'd just stick it out regardless, my qualifications are what matter, seeing as I've worked so hard to get here, what with a-levels/GCSE's and stuff...

Thanks. Second year. It's not the uni, it's me. It'd be the same at any uni I went to. It's a good uni and it has a great social life, just not one I fit in.

But if you're right then why is everyone else telling me to get a grip and what does that even mean?
Reply 6
Original post by paddlesnap
Get a ****ing grip

I lack any form of self-control mate and the last thread I posted asking for tips on that didn't even get an answerr
Original post by Riku
Thanks. Second year. It's not the uni, it's me. It'd be the same at any uni I went to. It's a good uni and it has a great social life, just not one I fit in.

But if you're right then why is everyone else telling me to get a grip and what does that even mean?

I think people are just being deliberately flippant to make others laugh and get +rep. Get a grip I think means just getting a grip on reality, though I think others need to get a grip on reality and realise people are going through some rough patches, and it doesn't make you a sissy or whatever!

I'd give it another year man, which is probably your last year? Then you'd be out. Sometimes these things just aren't for you!

Everyone is different, and you never know, you might prefer the workplace better, even though it's more pressure favored, you might find the controlled environment more favorable. I don't know haha.

I think it's just a learning thing. Stuff can change quickly too!

Stay strong!
Reply 8
everybody on tsr has some sort of anxiety, bi-polar, super depression. And your all qualified psychologists with your self diagnostics.

Mate just go to bed at a reasonable time and get a job.
Ah c'mon, Riku. You've been hanging out in darkness too long, you gotta try to think positive.
Reply 10
Original post by Muckoz
everybody on tsr has some sort of anxiety, bi-polar, super depression. And your all qualified psychologists with your self diagnostics.

Mate just go to bed at a reasonable time and get a job.

That's a bit unhelpful, when there are plenty of us who genuinely do have a mental illness.

OP: I would try to change something if you can, and see how it goes. For example, if you force yourself to go to bed at an earlier time - perhaps set your computer to shut down at a certain time? - then it may have an impact.
Original post by Riku
Well here's the deal

-I don't drink and that makes me feel boring, or just makes me boring. For example I just saw my mates at another uni successfully complete the Milk Challenge, and I'm thinking 'why can't I do that?' I say it's 'cos I care about my health but it's more like I couldn't handle vomming everywhere, I'm a lightweight

Drinking isn't the only way to have fun you know? There are plenty people out there who don't drink, you just need to get yourself out of the mentality that not drinking is a bad thing which makes you boring, because it's really not true.

Original post by Riku
-My anxiety goes sky-high when I sleep terribly (I can't remember the last time I truly slept well or got to bed before midnight) and that makes me weak

Doesn't make you weak, it's natural to be less composed if you have had little sleep. Maybe you should try to work on making sure you sleep better, read a book, drink hot chocolate before you go to sleep?! Listen to some relaxing music, just try not to think too much and focus on reeeelaaaaxinggggg xD

Original post by Riku
Everybody has their own methods of coping, yours happens to be comfort eating right now. It doesn't make you weak but then I can't say it's very good for you, so I personally think maybe you should try to find a different coping mechanism, not sure what works for you but I like to listen to music or just write xD or draw.

Original post by Riku

You're not alone in this, it's a normal reaction I think. Some people are just better at keeping themselves composed as others, my only advice here is that you should try to take things one step at a time, obviously if you think about just how much work you have to do it will stress you out a lot, but if you just think "Okay I need to get this done first" and just do that, you're focusing on tackling one problem at a time!

Original post by Riku
-I am at a red-brick and I just think what the hell am I doing here? How the hell did I manage to get a scholarship? I don't fit in. I'm stupid, naive and a crybaby mummy's boy

Looking at the negatives and insulting yourself isn't going to make you feel better, or the situation. Don't ask how you got the scholarship, tell yourself you were able to get it and that surely means something. I highly doubt you're stupid by the way.

Original post by Riku
Seriously if you talk to me you would realise I am a fecking dunce. I have delayed emotional reactions ffs

Nobody's perfect ._. heck I constantly ruin people's jokes because I'm so dense >.>

Original post by Riku
-I actually had to use a site-blocker program to stop myself procrastinating because I have no willpower to just not do it

At least you're trying to do something to stop yourself? You realise you don't have good willpower, you can admit, and then you found a way around, that's good?

There's nothing wrong with you, and you only feel like you don't belong in university because you keep telling yourself that. I know it's not easy trying to think nice things about yourself but... you're in university, if you weren't really cut out then you definitely wouldn't have gotten in. You just need to change how you think, a positive outlook on life will help you so much. Not saying it will be easy but... you know.

Anyway, try to do Riku's name justice eh.
Reply 12
So much cynicism. The sooner you stop thinking of things like this, the sooner you'll realise that you do belong at University and that everything is fine. Things are only bad for you because you want to see it like this.
Reply 13
which uni is this btw?
Wow. Just wow.

Honestly you're right you are a baby! And I agree get a grip...
Let me elaborate. You feel sorry for yourself. A lot. A lot a lot.

Your life is not bad at all. You've identified the things you are unhappy with. Now change them. You have a girlfriend...thats a bonus. You're at a good uni...another bonus.

You've started at the gym...it will take time.

All you really need is a good nights sleep. And someone to shake you by the shoulders and maybe give you a slap and tell you to look at your life in a more positive light.
Original post by Riku
Well here's the deal

-I am secretly a pretentious know-it-all-****er who always used long words and stupid jargon to make himself seem better than everyone else when he didn't have a clue, and this is probably how I got into the red-brick
-I am a virgin who spends most nights ****ing and yet has a girlfriend! What the hell! Can't help but think she's white-knighting me
-I go to the gym and I'm a skinny ****. I can just see all the other guys laughing at me. Even when Iw as bigger and stronger still they were laughing at me. Hell even the coaches are laughing sometimes..
-I have this thing where if I think for too long I just get angry and scream and generally hate myself

Well all this boils down to is I just do not belong in a student life which is essentially about manning up, getting **** done, not being such a stupid wuss about working and not getting sleep and hangovers blah blah and getting the **** over yourself and your problems. Which is, ironically, what being an adult is about

So-has anyone else ever felt like this? Like they just were not cut for adult life? And how did they get pas it?

Go have a nap
go to the gym more
drink alcohol
... Problems solved.
Reply 16
Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil
Wow. Just wow.

Honestly you're right you are a baby! And I agree get a grip...
Let me elaborate. You feel sorry for yourself. A lot. A lot a lot.

Your life is not bad at all. You've identified the things you are unhappy with. Now change them. You have a girlfriend...thats a bonus. You're at a good uni...another bonus.

You've started at the gym...it will take time.

All you really need is a good nights sleep. And someone to shake you by the shoulders and maybe give you a slap and tell you to look at your life in a more positive light.

Well this isn't that helpful. Why does everyone jump to the conclusion you're angry at others? I have a wonderful life. Life is, for the most part, wonderful. It's not perfect, but I'm not living in a dictatorship either so can't complain.
However, I fail at life. The problem is me, yeah, not the world. So if I'm feeling sorry for myself I'm feeling an equal measure of intense self-hatred for doing so. I am angry with myself for everything wrong with me although maybe it's not all my fault. If anything I feel sorry for the world for having to put up with a lot of my habits and problems.

Original post by Treeroy
That's a bit unhelpful, when there are plenty of us who genuinely do have a mental illness.

OP: I would try to change something if you can, and see how it goes. For example, if you force yourself to go to bed at an earlier time - perhaps set your computer to shut down at a certain time? - then it may have an impact.

I'm going to give this a go. My willpower is still low (hence why I'm posting at 11PM) but it's a start. I think you're right that the lack of sleep is making things feel far worse than it physically is.

Original post by SyOnGuitar
Drinking isn't the only way to have fun you know? There are plenty people out there who don't drink, you just need to get yourself out of the mentality that not drinking is a bad thing which makes you boring, because it's really not true.

Doesn't make you weak, it's natural to be less composed if you have had little sleep. Maybe you should try to work on making sure you sleep better, read a book, drink hot chocolate before you go to sleep?! Listen to some relaxing music, just try not to think too much and focus on reeeelaaaaxinggggg xD

You're not alone in this, it's a normal reaction I think. Some people are just better at keeping themselves composed as others, my only advice here is that you should try to take things one step at a time, obviously if you think about just how much work you have to do it will stress you out a lot, but if you just think "Okay I need to get this done first" and just do that, you're focusing on tackling one problem at a time!

Looking at the negatives and insulting yourself isn't going to make you feel better, or the situation. Don't ask how you got the scholarship, tell yourself you were able to get it and that surely means something. I highly doubt you're stupid by the way.

Nobody's perfect ._. heck I constantly ruin people's jokes because I'm so dense >.>

At least you're trying to do something to stop yourself? You realise you don't have good willpower, you can admit, and then you found a way around, that's good?

There's nothing wrong with you, and you only feel like you don't belong in university because you keep telling yourself that. I know it's not easy trying to think nice things about yourself but... you're in university, if you weren't really cut out then you definitely wouldn't have gotten in. You just need to change how you think, a positive outlook on life will help you so much. Not saying it will be easy but... you know.

Anyway, try to do Riku's name justice eh.

A lot to think about it. I'll consider it, thanks :smile:

Original post by LazyBazooka
Ah c'mon, Riku. You've been hanging out in darkness too long, you gotta try to think positive.

Made me laugh :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Rezzo
So much cynicism. The sooner you stop thinking of things like this, the sooner you'll realise that you do belong at University and that everything is fine. Things are only bad for you because you want to see it like this.

Going to think about it :smile:

Original post by Anonymous
Go have a nap
go to the gym more
drink alcohol
... Problems solved.

a) If it were really as easy as just having a nap...
b) I thought that the first time, it didn't work. Define 'more'. I've had a problematic relationship with the gym
c) That (getting pissed) is a really dumb idea for me, really dumb. It's something which I shouldn't do and one of the reasons I think I'm a loser is because I don't do that anymore
Reply 18
Original post by Riku
Well here's the deal

I must admit, my initial reaction was also 'get a grip', but I realise that Is possibly the worst thing you could say to someone. It seems like you've just hit a wall to be honest, it happens to everyone from time to time.

I would say Talk to your girlfriend and tell her all the things you just told us. If not, tell your mum, dad, brother, sister, friend, great great great aunty. Talking about your problems will give you some perspective and will make you feel cared for and listened to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know ? Everyone feels like this at some time- yes, everyone.

The trick is just to carry on and not frighten the horses.

You've got life in miniature. The idea is to find some thing to do , people to see, places to go when you're having a down moment.

But, the real cure is to help some one else. You're getting too involved in your own problems.

Go and volunteer in an Old People's Home - some folk never have anyone to see them. They'll be overjoyed at having a regular visitor just to chat or show them photos or read a local paper with.

Go and offer to do paired reading a a local Primary School.

Help at the local refugee centre.

By the time you've heard their horrors you feel over the moon! Yes really. Helping others is the biggest buzz out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending