The Student Room Group

rEDOX

Can someone please help me work out the oxidation numbers of A and B.

I am able to do C and D.
Reply 1
A is decomposition, look what happens to the oxidation number of each of the species involved from reactant to product.

B is neutralisation. is this a type of redox? work out by oxidation number changes

C is metal-acid rxn. is this a redox rxn? work out by oxidation number changes

D is a halogen-halide displacement rxn. is this redox? work out by oxidation number changes.
Reply 2
Original post by shengoc
A is decomposition, look what happens to the oxidation number of each of the species involved from reactant to product.

B is neutralisation. is this a type of redox? work out by oxidation number changes

C is metal-acid rxn. is this a redox rxn? work out by oxidation number changes

D is a halogen-halide displacement rxn. is this redox? work out by oxidation number changes.

yes i know the type of reactions involved.

However how can i tell if they have been oxidised or reduced for the equations 1 and 2 so if you can explain to me how to work out the ON for 1 and 2 i will be able to do it myself.

its just that i can't work out ON for complex calculations such as these.
Reply 3
I hate these questions! At a glance you can tell its B as all the oxidation numbers have stayed the same. - Hydrogen is +1 in every compound, Cl is -1, oxygen is -2 and Na is +1. Usually the answer will have simplish compounds in so you can tell without having to work out every single oxidation number in every single equation.

To work out oxidation numbers start with oxygen at -2. A group 1/2 element will be next at +1/+2. Then the other is used to get an overall number of 0 unless there is a charge on that compound.

Quick Reply

Latest