The Student Room Group

Studying at University in Germany

I'm seriously considering going to University in Germany, and was wondering whether anyone had any general information about how exactly A levels correspond to the German equivalent and how to apply for German Universities. I'm currently studying A level Philosophy, History, Politics and International Relations as well as English, and thinking about studying anything along the branches of the A level subjects I do. Ive had a look on a few German websites and it seems like their application information isn't a clear-cut as the majority of Universities in the UK I have been looking at. I've been considering Germany because German is a language I wouldn't mind learning, and the costs are a lot cheaper than in the UK and the country is fantastic. I also heard that a lot of courses are completely learnt in English, but I've also seen information that says you need to be able to speak German. Any advice or information would be fantastic. thank you
For an undergraduate/bachelor's degree, you almost certainly need to speak German. Admission shouldn't be a big problem - most German unis are keen to get international students and will accept you if you have passed most of your A Levels (and the language exam!). Some students opt to take a year out to learn German before going to uni there - if you choose to do this you will have to study very intensively, as the language exam for uni entrance is tough - you'll have to be more or less fluent in German.

There is the odd course that's taught in English - mostly things like business studies. Search here. There are also one or two private unis that teach entirely in English - ECLA and Jacobs being the best known. These are more expensive but do offer bursaries.

More info, and a few reviews of German unis, here.
Original post by John Wallis
Admission shouldn't be a big problem - most German unis are keen to get international students and will accept you if you have passed most of your A Levels (and the language exam!).

Hm, that depends on the course (some have grade boundaries, so passing most of your A Levels won't do it - it is not hard, but not as easy as you describe it, especially if you are planning to finish your degree). It can range from A*A*A*A*A* for Medicine to EEEe for a course, who isn't under much demand. (Note: You can't make the assumption, that entry requirements are connected to the level, you have to show, to be able to get your degree!!! This is a great difference to the UK.) NC is only connected to demand and supply and just a few universities, as e.g. TUM has clear grade boundaries, you have to pass to be admittable.

The point which let most UK graduates struggle is the late issuance of your A Levels and the fact, that while grades aren't that important, subjects are. (In German Abitur exams in German, Math, one Natural Science or Foreign Language and a "social science" are mandatory, so the students can't only concentrate on their strengths, which might also explain, why some ace at University, although having an overall Abitur grade most TSRs would look down on.) There is a whole thread in this forum, where everything is explained, but from my memory you should be fine with your A Levles, unless you want to study anything related to Math and Natural Sciences.
Reply 3
As a German, I think language is quite important. Even though there are some courses taught entirely in English and some to a certain extent, you will have to learn German
to communicate with people and for bureaucracy stuff (and oh we love it!). You might have a chance without German in Berlin, but that won't work in other cities.
As for the requirements: Just call/Email the respective university, because education is decentralised regulations vary.
Additionally, you should check how many people study abroad as Erasmus semesters are very common and easily organised at some schools, and harder at others (in general: if its required, it will be very easy to get a place and organise everything). Also, get a flatshare. Don#t move in a dorm!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest