The Student Room Group

A2 aqa media studies june 2013

Hey everyone!

So basically, I have been looking around for agesssss to try and find an a2 aqa media studies thread and there seems to be none at all!

The exam is a week today and I am freaking out about it as print has never been done before!

I thought I would start this thread so we can all discuss what our plans are for the exam, how people are revising and just general tips and tricks for the exam, e.g. answering the section A and B questions!

Hope this is useful for you all and stay positive and motivated everyone!

I will get the ball rolling by asking how everyone's revising for the exam?!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lack of past papers for this exam means that it's hard to revise that way but I've been simply made a list of every keyword I can drilled it into my head.
For section B I've just gone over my case study as many times as I can trying to link it to media theory. Hard for me to revise for this one because I have a Politics exam on the same day but I need a B overall for this.
Reply 2
Hey,
So happy that theres finally a thread for this! Do you know if it's definitely going to be on print, since all of the past papers have been on moving image? Ahh i hope that it's not on print :frown:

Section B is so much easier to revise for, as long as you solidly know your case studies, theories and examples for representation and/or New Media then choosing the question should be fine :smile:
Reply 3
It's 100% going to be on print, the exam board have confirmed it.

Do we need to do conclusions for section B?
Reply 4
Original post by dimitri6
Lack of past papers for this exam means that it's hard to revise that way but I've been simply made a list of every keyword I can drilled it into my head.
For section B I've just gone over my case study as many times as I can trying to link it to media theory. Hard for me to revise for this one because I have a Politics exam on the same day but I need a B overall for this.

I have gone over key terms and stuff too but I am really struggling as to how we should structure our section A answers as there are literally no examples anywhere!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by hibam3546
Hey,
So happy that theres finally a thread for this! Do you know if it's definitely going to be on print, since all of the past papers have been on moving image? Ahh i hope that it's not on print :frown:

Section B is so much easier to revise for, as long as you solidly know your case studies, theories and examples for representation and/or New Media then choosing the question should be fine :smile:

Haha i'm glad! :smile: and yes it is 100% print, my teachers seemed to be hinting towards website's possibly too....like a print screen of a home page or something.

Are you going to do representation or new digital media? I think NDM questions are generally nicer and broader, but you definitely need to have some solid facts. Representation can be easier, but I think the questions are worded weirdly!
Reply 6
It's 100% going to be on print, the exam board have confirmed it.

Do we need to do conclusions for section B?

Yessss I think so! Well in class when I have had to do case study questions I have always concluded at the end.

The conclusions do not have to be too long, you just need to show that you have some opinion on the topic.

I usually just say - overall..... A judgement can be made..... I think that.... However some people may think that..... In conclusion.... and then I basically reword the question and answer it in about a sentence! :smile:

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Thanks, I'm aiming for a mid-B for this exam btw what about you?

I'm answering the NDM question because I think they're much broader as has already been said and I feel like my case study for NDM is much stronger.

Has anybody got any tips we should note down?
Reply 8
section A is hard to revise for but I don't know how to. Section A is mainly about representations
Reply 9
Original post by charli.beau
Haha i'm glad! :smile: and yes it is 100% print, my teachers seemed to be hinting towards website's possibly too....like a print screen of a home page or something.

Are you going to do representation or new digital media? I think NDM questions are generally nicer and broader, but you definitely need to have some solid facts. Representation can be easier, but I think the questions are worded weirdly!

Ahh the fact that it's now on print worries me, how are we meant to answer the question? :frown: If it's an e-media print of a home page then i think that'll be better!

I'm doing NDM for section B, there's just more to talk about :smile: Plus, the previous questions have been fairly similar, so as long as the you know your case study thoroughly then you can adapt it to any of the questions. Yeah i agree, the representation questions are a bit...haha
Reply 10
I have been doing a lot of practice exams for revision, and I've also been trying to keep up with the news.

For section A I haven't done a lot on the first question, but you can practice answering the 2nd and 3rd questions, from past papers. Which is what I've been doing.

For section B, again, I've just done loads of past paper practices.

I'm starting to get nervous now!! What does everyone think the exam is going to be on? It might be likely that they'll give us 2 front pages or articles on the 2011 summer riots, phone hacking, savile scandal or Arab Springs..... but sometimes they come up with some random and very niche subjects. Like the vampire one, or the war games and films :s-smilie:

Good luck everyone!! :smile:
Reply 11
I'm quite worried for the exam now u are all mentioning print :frown:
Surely we'll all be fine..

For section b there only revision that I'd suggest is going over your case studies, but choosing one in particular, in detail and relating theories.

For section a I've struggled for what areas to revise and I have basically just learnt as many theories as I can and looked over the past questions.

Does anyone know how we revise the print aspect because all we have done in school is watch moving image which is why I'm worrying now... :confused:
Reply 12
Honestly i haven't been revising, except for going though theories. i don't know what else to do. for my case study i've been researching on how the LGBT community have been portrayed in media.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 13
BTW only aiming for a C or higher overall :smile:
Reply 14
Thanks, I'm aiming for a mid-B for this exam btw what about you?

I'm answering the NDM question because I think they're much broader as has already been said and I feel like my case study for NDM is much stronger.

Has anybody got any tips we should note down?

I would love to get an A as that's my target grade! :smile: and yeah me too, and just remember theories for the NDM case study!
Go and do a proper subject instead of worrying about it.
Reply 16
Original post by beth_g19
I'm quite worried for the exam now u are all mentioning print :frown:
Surely we'll all be fine..

For section b there only revision that I'd suggest is going over your case studies, but choosing one in particular, in detail and relating theories.

For section a I've struggled for what areas to revise and I have basically just learnt as many theories as I can and looked over the past questions.

Does anyone know how we revise the print aspect because all we have done in school is watch moving image which is why I'm worrying now... :confused:

My teacher contacted AQA and they told him that a dvd player wouldn't be needed. Therefore it is very likely that it will be on print, I'm afraid.

However you don't need to worry, all you need to do is go over newspaper and website forms and conventions. If you haven't done this already, it will take you at the most an hour to go over them. Then answer the question you would if it were a moving image! You really will be fine :smile:
Hi guys! can anyone help me with this question?

Constant media stories about gang crime create a depressing and unbalanced picture of black youngsters.’ (www.guardian.co.uk)
Using the group or place you have studied, consider whether media portrayals are more
complex than simple positive or negative representations.
Original post by paddlesnap
Go and do a proper subject instead of worrying about it.

just go and die
media studz 4 eva :elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:
Original post by AbbieOwen
I have been doing a lot of practice exams for revision, and I've also been trying to keep up with the news.

For section A I haven't done a lot on the first question, but you can practice answering the 2nd and 3rd questions, from past papers. Which is what I've been doing.

For section B, again, I've just done loads of past paper practices.

I'm starting to get nervous now!! What does everyone think the exam is going to be on? It might be likely that they'll give us 2 front pages or articles on the 2011 summer riots, phone hacking, savile scandal or Arab Springs..... but sometimes they come up with some random and very niche subjects. Like the vampire one, or the war games and films :s-smilie:

Good luck everyone!! :smile:

i reckon it could be about the 2012 olympics
i hope not tho cause i hate the olympics and know nothing about it :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending