The Student Room Group

making up case studies

Obviously there are common case studies mentioned in lots of textbooks that lots of students use in their exams. The examiners know these inside and out. But what happens if you either use an obscure case study they don't know about or even make up a case study?

I'm just curious because on an essay question last year I used a local example, that we hadn't been taught as a case study at all. But because I knew the area so well, I could give more detail than if I had chosen a standard case study from the textbook !

But do they just believe what you're saying as long as it sounds reasonable ?

For example in my exam last year, the question was about issues in tourist areas. I wrote about a place in England, near where I live. If I had said about the competition for space between humans and lions or humans and polar bears I probably wouldn't have got the marks. But I mentioned about sensible things that do happen.

But surely the examiner doesn't have time to check what you're saying. But for all they know I made up the name of the river. Or even if it does exist, some of the issues i mentioned may be made up!

Someone this year re-doing an AS exam said they could remember what happened in the case study and the date. But couldn't think of the location for the life of them. Because we have to use located case studies, they just put the name of the first town they could think of thats got a river running through it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not sure, but I've thought of this before.

You can literally do anything that refers to the question in hand, whether that be a town/river/etc in Australia, Italy or the UK. I imagine they'll Google the name and check it out if they don't know what you're referring to.

Interesting though.
Reply 2
Original post by Jack59
I'm not sure, but I've thought of this before.

You can literally do anything that refers to the question in hand, whether that be a town/river/etc in Australia, Italy or the UK. I imagine they'll Google the name and check it out if they don't know what you're referring to.

Interesting though.

But why would they bother ? They only get a couple of pound per paper and on each OCR a-level paper you need at least 4 case studies I'd reckon. What if you used local/obscure examples for all of them?
Reply 3
Original post by anony.mouse
But why would they bother ??

I imagine its stated somewhere that they have too.
Reply 4
Original post by Jack59
I imagine its stated somewhere that they have too.
Then the exam boards would find it hard to get people to mark papers. I know ocr pay £2 per chemistry paper marked, they won't pay that much more for geography.
Reply 5
Also, in psychology we have to mention the name of the researcher and date for all the research we use. My teacher said to make it up if we forget !!!
Reply 6
I strongly believe that WJEC, or any exam board, will not allow someone to get full marks on a case study if its made up. I'm certain they will check.
Reply 7
Think about how many thousands of scripts an examiner has to get through. They're paid by the number of scripts they mark. I highly doubt they will care never mind look it up. As long as it sounds feasible and is not an obvious fake figure you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most of the geography case studies I did at GCSE were made up.
Obviously I made them quite realistic though. In the end, I got a good grade by making up rubbish rather than knowing my stuff :')

-I bull**** through several case studies in my geography exams.
-Got full UMS.

True story :L

Just make sure they're believable :biggrin: :yy:
I always make them up at Geography GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously there are common case studies mentioned in lots of textbooks that lots of students use in their exams. The examiners know these inside and out. But what happens if you either use an obscure case study they don't know about or even make up a case study?

I'm just curious because on an essay question last year I used a local example, that we hadn't been taught as a case study at all. But because I knew the area so well, I could give more detail than if I had chosen a standard case study from the textbook !

But do they just believe what you're saying as long as it sounds reasonable ?

For example in my exam last year, the question was about issues in tourist areas. I wrote about a place in England, near where I live. If I had said about the competition for space between humans and lions or humans and polar bears I probably wouldn't have got the marks. But I mentioned about sensible things that do happen.

But surely the examiner doesn't have time to check what you're saying. But for all they know I made up the name of the river. Or even if it does exist, some of the issues i mentioned may be made up!

Someone this year re-doing an AS exam said they could remember what happened in the case study and the date. But couldn't think of the location for the life of them. Because we have to use located case studies, they just put the name of the first town they could think of thats got a river running through it.

Judging by what's been said, the consensus is that you can, but only if you must - and if you do then make it believable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending