Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about putting down Claycroft, Lakeside and Tocil as prefered choices, but I don't know in what order. Does anyone here know how these campus flats compare?

Thank you.

btw Warwick will either be my firm or insurance. If I put it down for insurance is there any chance of getting to live where I want? Claycroft, Lakeside and Tocil have 39 week lets and it is essential for me to be able to stay on campus during vacations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I'm thinking about putting down Claycroft, Lakeside and Tocil as prefered choices, but I don't know in what order. Does anyone here know how these campus flats compare?

Thank you.

btw Warwick will either be my firm or insurance. If I put it down for insurance is there any chance of getting to live where I want? Claycroft, Lakeside and Tocil have 39 week lets and it is essential for me to be able to stay on campus during vacations.

Not sure of actual details, but I think Tocil is quite dominated by 4th years - my brother lived there in his last year. Lakeside too generally has older/foreign students - but I'm not sure whether that's who gets allocated there or just generally who applies there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    Not sure of actual details, but I think Tocil is quite dominated by 4th years - my brother lived there in his last year. Lakeside too generally has older/foreign students - but I'm not sure whether that's who gets allocated there or just generally who applies there.
    Generally, I think foreign students like myself apply there because it's too troublesome to go home every vecation.

Also, for the second year, which town is nicest to live in, Coventry, Royal Leamington Spa or Kenilworth? How do they compare in terms of nightlife/entertainment/scenic parks etc etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Generally, I think foreign students like myself apply there because it's too troublesome to go home every vecation.

Also, for the second year, which town is nicest to live in, Coventry, Royal Leamington Spa or Kenilworth? How do they compare in terms of nightlife/entertainment/scenic parks etc etc?

ahh sorry was being Unobservant again :rolleyes: yes then it would make sense for you to apply to lakeside. I think Coventry and Leamington have more life to them, Kenilworth is quiet. Generally Leamington is a nicer place, but is more expensive than coventry. Also involves getting two buses to get to campus, wheras coventry is nearer and more convenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    ahh sorry was being Unobservant again :rolleyes: yes then it would make sense for you to apply to lakeside. I think Coventry and Leamington have more life to them, Kenilworth is quiet. Generally Leamington is a nicer place, but is more expensive than coventry. Also involves getting two buses to get to campus, wheras coventry is nearer and more convenient.
    oki, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well you can judge from the prices really; Lakeside is the nicest (en suite), Claycroft next, Tocil good enough also, IMO.

The accommodation office seems very conscientious of the needs of international students, and I doubt you'll get rejected from all three. Best thing is to phone them up and ask them though.

As for the 2nd year...none of the towns seem exactly wonderful. Think you're best to worry about that when you actually get there though.

ReputationRep:
    I would really like to go to lakeside if i hadnt accepted my offer at durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)

Thank you.

lakeside have big rooms and are on suite. Usually given to foreign students. Tocil are smaller rooms, given to foreign students too, but also have 2nd year students. I don't know much about claycroft. What i do know is that they are given to 4th years and are en suite, I THINK. If you do put warwick as your insurance, you are most likely to be given the accommodation that no-one chooses (i.e. Westwood). But don't start having babies if they do put you somewhere that you do not want. After 3 weeks, there is a transfer list to change accommodation, and there is always spare rooms in other halls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Well you can judge from the prices really; Lakeside is the nicest (en suite), Claycroft next, Tocil good enough also, IMO.

The accommodation office seems very conscientious of the needs of international students, and I doubt you'll get rejected from all three. Best thing is to phone them up and ask them though.

As for the 2nd year...none of the towns seem exactly wonderful. Think you're best to worry about that when you actually get there though.
    My first choice is Lakeside but it's the most expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valcandy)
    My first choice is Lakeside but it's the most expensive.
    I made Tocil my first choice, then Claycroft, then Lakeside (gotta keep that budget down!)

ReputationRep:
    hey

i am a first year at warwick, so i thought i might give you a little synposis of some of the accomodation (from a student perspective!) to help you in your decision...

1- Rootes. People think because its cheap its skank. NOT TRUE! if you want to make the most of your 1st year by living in a vibrant place with lots of outgoing people then this is your best bet! Rootes has the reputation of being the party halls and its close to the union

2- Jack Martin. This is nice but both the en-suite halls have a reputation for being a bit boring. Also because of the bathrooms the rooms arent that big

3- Arthur Vick. If you want an en-suite then go for this rather than Jack Martin. Again has a reputation for being a bit quiet, but its so nice the rooms look like hotel rooms!

4- Whitefields. If you want a flat, most first years live here. Its close to the union and everyone seems quite friendly and up for a laugh

5- Cryfield. This is a little bit of a walk compared to some other halls but a lot of first years live here and it seems to have a good sense of community.

Apart from that I dont know much about the other halls cos they tend to be foreign student and older years, although Benefactors is also quite a nice first year halls.

If you need to stay on campus during vacation you can rent rooms in cryfield, so don't let that necessarily dictate where you choose!!

p.s. for the record i live in rootes- i was really disappointed when i didnt get Jack Martin but now i wouldnt swop rootes for the world!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaBun)

2- Jack Martin. This is nice but both the en-suite halls have a reputation for being a bit boring. Also because of the bathrooms the rooms arent that big

3- Arthur Vick. If you want an en-suite then go for this rather than Jack Martin. Again has a reputation for being a bit quiet, but its so nice the rooms look like hotel rooms!

i remember seeing both AV and JM, that was last yr so i can't remember which is which but i remember i was impressed with both and thought they were both like hotels.........now i've chosen JM......was that a very bad idea then??

ReputationRep:
    hey

Apart from that I dont know much about the other halls cos they tend to be foreign student and older years, although Benefactors is also quite a nice first year halls.
    Any particular reason why you don't know any foreign students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Any particular reason why you don't know any foreign students?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seana)
    :confused:
    sorry, I was just wondering if it was the norm for foreign students to be anti-social or something 'cuz everyone seems to know so little about Tocil/Claycroft/Lakeside 'cuz they don't have any firends there (since moslt foreign students live there and all).

ReputationRep:
    hey was hopin sum1 could help me. excepted my offer from warwick on friday and now im looking at accomodation. I was looking for somewhere with a party atmosphere ( rootes then u might say) but i dont fancy sharing a bathroom/kitchen with so many 'sweaty' students lol. any ideas where would be best for would be greatly welcomed

ReputationRep:
    Linda, I'm choosing Claycroft for the same reason - got to stay during vacations as well. But I'll be doing biochemistry, so plenty of walk and fresh air, probably wet when rainy & snowy. Or should I use bicycle?

Hope to see you in September. Bye now.

ReputationRep:
    hey

i am a first year at warwick, so i thought i might give you a little synposis of some of the accomodation (from a student perspective!) to help you in your decision...

1- Rootes. People think because its cheap its skank. NOT TRUE! if you want to make the most of your 1st year by living in a vibrant place with lots of outgoing people then this is your best bet! Rootes has the reputation of being the party halls and its close to the union

4- Whitefields. If you want a flat, most first years live here. Its close to the union and everyone seems quite friendly and up for a laugh

5- Cryfield. This is a little bit of a walk compared to some other halls but a lot of first years live here and it seems to have a good sense of community.

If you need to stay on campus during vacation you can rent rooms in cryfield, so don't let that necessarily dictate where you choose!!

p.s. for the record i live in rootes- i was really disappointed when i didnt get Jack Martin but now i wouldnt swop rootes for the world!!
    is it possible to change ur mind about choices of accomodation now, even thought u've already submitted ur form away?

ReputationRep:
    Ensuite Halls are very boring. Dont go for them unless you want no social life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awaiting)
    Ensuite Halls are very boring. Dont go for them unless you want no social life.
    really?! why?! Just because the have en suites...does that make it quiet and boring?
    What's lakeside like in ur opinion?

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.