GCSE- OCR History British Depth Study 1890-1918

Scroll to see replies

ok, this is the 2003 specimen paper
again, these are the sources in case they are unclear:

source a - the same as source a on the specimen draft paper
source b - the same as the source b on the specimen draft paper
sources c - e - clear enough i think
source g - the same as source f on the specimen draft
source h - a very realistic painting of the trenches. it shows two dead soldiers, barbed wire, discarded belongings, the floor is quite marsh-like, it has an overall atmosphere of grimness and dullness.

again, i can go into more detail if necessary :smile:

p.s. i'll do the rest if someone posts asking me to. If no one is going to use them, i'll not bother
Original post by closet_nerd
hey,
:biggrin:

WOW, this is pretty amazing stuff, I think everyone would love to see it on the first page. :biggrin: Do you want it there? This cigarette source seems to be a popular one for the first spec.If home front comes up it might be thrown in; as one of the sources.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm a bit confused about how to structure a couple of the questions?

When you get asked 'how surprised are you?' and 'how reliable is this source?' so you have to explore both sides of the argument and reach a conclusion? Different people have told me different things :s-smilie:
Original post by beckylouise_

When you get asked 'how surprised are you?' and 'how reliable is this source?' so you have to explore both sides of the argument and reach a conclusion? Different people have told me different things :s-smilie:

Hey becky- you chose a wise first post!:biggrin:

I guess when you get asked about if you are surprised, you may have to try and find something which is surprising in the source. Then you might try to find a point which says something different. It's kinda the same with reliable. You find aspects both unreliable and reliable. E.g if a source is saying the suffragists is the most important factor to winning the vote. however, the source may be from a suffragist: making it unreliable. haha:argh:. Then look at what the person might be saying, they could be saying facts that are true and not twisted- making it more reliable. then do a short conc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lil_Luffy
Does anyone have any advice on how to structure these questions especially the 12 markers?!?! I hope Women's Suffrage come up!
Is Women getting the vote/contributing to war effort in the topic of Women's Suffrage or Home Front in WW1?

Group the sources. E.g ones which may support the argument in the question and ones which say otherwise. USE ALL THE SOURCES!!!!! I cant stress this enough. Dont look at each source in isolation, integrate them into your answer . e.g don't talk about just one source in one paragraph.

try saying something like this...( example i made up)

Source c may agree with the statement but it can't be fully trusted (from a bias source) but still backs points from source B and contridicrts points from source G which is even more unreliable because of so and so.. (extra point: you may want to expand on what source B was saying once you are done with saying how source G is more unreliable)

Don't be afraid to ask questions and spot mistakes on my part.:smile:

Good luck on studies Lil:biggrin:
Original post by theslowbaker
WOW, this is pretty amazing stuff, I think everyone would love to see it on the first page. :biggrin: Do you want it there? This cigarette source seems to be a popular one for the first spec.If home front comes up it might be thrown in; as one of the sources.

Sure, if it will help people :smile:
I have every single past paper (my awesome teacher!) so I'll try to upload as many as possible :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beckylouise_

Hey, I've said this on a previous page, but I really can't tell you how helpful I found the teacher's hand book. Just google OCR History B teachers' handbook
I think the helpful but begins on page 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
ok, this is the 2003 specimen paper
again, these are the sources in case they are unclear:

source a - the same as source a on the specimen draft paper
source b - the same as the source b on the specimen draft paper
sources c - e - clear enough i think
source g - the same as source f on the specimen draft
source h - a very realistic painting of the trenches. it shows two dead soldiers, barbed wire, discarded belongings, the floor is quite marsh-like, it has an overall atmosphere of grimness and dullness.

again, i can go into more detail if necessary :smile:

p.s. i'll do the rest if someone posts asking me to. If no one is going to use them, i'll not bother

hey,
this is the draft specimen paper 2003
at the moment i'm scanning each page and adding them as attachments (which i hope is working because i have no clue how to work this website.. :confused:), if there is an easier way i'd happily do that :wink:
sorry, if the quality isn't very good; this is a scan of a photocopy of a photocopy :wink:
so, in case it is illegible these are the sources:

source a - a really famous propoganda poster which reads, "Daddy, what did YOU do in the Great War?"
source b - also propaganda poster reading, "To the young women of London, Is your best boy wearing khaki? If not, don't YOU THINK he should be? If he does not think that you and your country are worth fighting for, do you think he is WORTHY of you? Don't pity the girl who is alone - her young man is probably a soldier, fighting for her and her country - and for YOU. If your young man neglects his duty to his king and country, you won't be surprised when he NEGLECTS YOU. Join the army TO-DAY."
sources c - e are more clear.
source f - an advert for cigarettes. It has a picture of five British soldiers about to leave the trench for no-man's land. The atmosphere is glorious and glamorous. It reads, "Time for one more, Mitchell's GOLDEN DAWN cigarettes."

I hope the rest is clear, ask if anything needs more explaination :biggrin:

Thank you so much! This is so helpful :smile: Must've taken you a while, so thank you for taking the time to do this :biggrin:
Original post by AparnaX
Thank you so much! This is so helpful :smile: Must've taken you a while, so thank you for taking the time to do this :biggrin:

I'll try to do as many as possible tomorrow as well.
Happy revision everyone :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
I'll try to do as many as possible tomorrow as well.
Happy revision everyone :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excuse my ignorance but how is uploading very old past papers helpful? Just wondering what you guys are doing with them ?
Reply 70
Can somebody please explain the Cigarettes source to me, please? And also, what do you think is most likely to come up, I heard women was likely to come up because this month is the 100th anniversary of Emily Davison's death?
Thanks.
Reply 71
Original post by mizzy96
Can somebody please explain the Cigarettes source to me, please? And also, what do you think is most likely to come up, I heard women was likely to come up because this month is the 100th anniversary of Emily Davison's death?
Thanks.

Thanks that's worth knowing. :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by IHTWFR
Excuse my ignorance but how is uploading very old past papers helpful? Just wondering what you guys are doing with them ?

Well, we've gone through basically most of the past papers in class so I wanted to look at some older ones. Aren't you doing past papers for revision? Because even past papers from 2003 include the same topics and same style of questions etc. So they're basically just as useful as the past papers from the new spec :smile:
I hope this thread is wrong..

My school said that Liberal Reforms won't come up (99.99%) sure. Thus, we didn't get taught it. We skipped the section entirely and went on the other two.

After studying Votes for Women we were told The Homefront was the most likely to come up, so we shifted and went onto that.

Is there a good chance of Reforms coming up? If so, can someone direct me to the nearest bridge..?

I'm scared.
Reply 74
Original post by Jamesplussky
I hope this thread is wrong..

My school said that Liberal Reforms won't come up (99.99%) sure. Thus, we didn't get taught it. We skipped the section entirely and went on the other two.

After studying Votes for Women we were told The Homefront was the most likely to come up, so we shifted and went onto that.

Is there a good chance of Reforms coming up? If so, can someone direct me to the nearest bridge..?

I'm scared.

I think your school made a massive mistake?! Very silly decision, I was told it was likely to come up...
Original post by Jamesplussky

I think that your school is right; Liberal reforms came up last summer, so it is unlikely to come up again. however, you do need to at least know the basics.
I would start with the specification if I was you, and I'll try to upload some stuff for you.
good luck :smile:
Ok, here is the 2003 paper...
I think that all the sources are clear on this paper so I'll only describe them if someone else can't understand them.
:biggrin:
Reply 77
I personally think Liberal Reforms is the most likely to come up. This is because if you look at previous years almost always there has never been the same topic in June as in January, thus Home Front is least likely to come up. And because Liberals came up last June it would seem Suffragettes is most likely. However if this was the case you could just follow the pattern and predict that Suffragettes would come up tomorrow, instead they need to break the pattern at some point and because Home Front was in January I'd predict Liberals is the most likely! (This doesn't mean you shouldn't revise all three, they could just throw a screwball at you and come up with Homefront, ALTHOUGH VERY UNLIKELY!)
Reply 78
Does anyone know what the january 2013 exam was on liberal reforms, homefront or suffragettes?

Quick Reply