The Student Room Group

Can I drop a GCSE at the end of y10?

At the end of y9 my school gave us the option to opt for something called independent learning instead of a fourth option, where you would do your own work/revision, catch up on things etc. but end up with one less GCSE. I didn't take it, but now I am seriously struggling with one of my options (geography); I've been doing badly all year and I can't cope with the controlled assessment, and the stress it's causing is having a negative effect on my other subjects.
One of the independent learning classes is at the same time as geography so me and my parents think it would be best to drop geog and do that instead - and I know it's not a doss because 3 of my friends take it and they barely have to work at home.
So yeah, I brought it up with my head of year and she basically said no, and that I should have taken it from the beginning and I'm just being sulky about the controlled assessment and I'm better than that and blah blah blah.
I honestly just want to know whether they have the right to not let me drop it and if it's ever going to happen, if like, I get my parent's involved and all that.
Anyway, thanks!
Ultimately, it's the school's decision. As far as I know, you don't possess any right to be allowed to change the subject you do and the school can simply claim that it's impossible due to timetabling (even if it's not technically true). If the school is saying no to you now, I don't think getting your parents involved is going to change a huge amount (although if you're really desperate I suppose you could). Ultimately, if the school doesn't let you change the subject - which they probably won't - you could simply refuse to do the exam and try to strategically force them to withdraw you to you dragging down their A*-C ranking although this is risky because if they don't withdraw you, you'll still be forced to declare your result to Unis and so forth. Whilst you're not going to like this, the best solution is probably to speak with your school about help with Geography. Dropping the subject a year in is a really bad idea. Talk to your geography teacher about help with the controlled assessment or the work in general.
ok then...thanks :-)
Reply 3
I don't recommend dropping it, you've already done half of the work! If you do history then it would be okay to drop it, if not then don't - it's important to have a humanity subject
I do do history :smile: plus I did an extra GCSE in Arabic, so yeah...I dunno

Quick Reply

Latest