The Student Room Group

Do girls prefer taller guys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by manchesterunited15
implying you think this thread is saying every tall guy is more attractive than every small guy :rolleyes:

No. I thought I'd just name some ( or a) short guys who women might find attractive.
Reply 41
Generally speaking, girls prefer guys taller than themselves. Which means that the taller you are, the more girls you can appeal to. It is not the be-all and end-all obviously, but most guys can testament to this from their own experience.
A guy being tall is a plus in the same it is a plus for a woman to have long legs, great hair or a nice ass. If you don't have it, you can work your way around it, but there is no doubt that it is a plus. A research I read showed that men below a certain height who were successful with women showed very clear strengths in other areas - such as confidence, success, wealth and education.
Some girls are more focused on it than others. In general, the more powerful a man is, the better he does with women. Some women care more about social power, some about financial powers and some about physical power, the latter being the ones who care about height.
I am less focused on height than my other female friends, but I prefer for him to not be shorter than me. I am 5"9 and often wear heels. He may be slightly shorter if I am in 5" pumps, but preferably not when I'm in flats.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Obviously looks are more important than a persons height.

A persons height doesn't make them more attractive.
lol.. im 5 ft 9 and dont have a problem.

I think its also because im not really into tall girls so i just cancel them out of the equation and go for shorter girls instead.
Original post by Scott.
No. I thought I'd just name some ( or a) short guys who women might find attractive.

Imagine a thread talking about how men are faster than women, then someone comes in and says "stephen hawking disagrees". Same principle :wink:
Original post by Scott.
Obviously looks are more important than a persons height.

A persons height doesn't make them more attractive.

Despite essentially every girl who has replied on this thread saying they prefer tall guys?

Height obviously makes guys more attractive, or else girls wouldn't say they prefer tall guys...

Seriously, just read the thread from the start, even just the first page if you can't be bothered reading the whole thing.
Original post by NathanW18
Tom Cruise is an extremely wealthy, movie star.

Of course women will find him attractive.

He wasn't an extremely wealthy movie star before he was an extremely wealthy movie star, though, was he? In 1980 or whenever it was, some Hollywood casting committee looked at 5'7" of anonymous nobody and agreed "yes, the girls will go crazy for this one".
Reply 47
Original post by Anonymous
Despite essentially every girl who has replied on this thread saying they prefer tall guys?

Height obviously makes guys more attractive, or else girls wouldn't say they prefer tall guys...

Seriously, just read the thread from the start, even just the first page if you can't be bothered reading the whole thing.

I don't need too.

Obviously there's more important things than height, such as body type, and what a persons face looks like.

I'm 5ft11 which isn't tall. But I'd rather have a decent body type, and have average looks than be a six inches taller, and have a face like ****.And i very much doubt that if I were five inches taller I'd be seen as more attractive.
Original post by cambio wechsel
He wasn't an extremely wealthy movie star before he was an extremely wealthy movie star, though, was he? In 1980 or whenever it was, some Hollywood casting committee looked at 5'7" of anonymous nobody and agreed "yes, the girls will go crazy for this one".
What does his attractiveness in 1980 have to do with anything today? Back when he was starting out, I'm sure whoever picked him was picking him for his acting ability. His good looks would have been a nice extra.

Tome Cruise's height will not matter to the vast majority of women. Mainly because he is rich and famous. It also helps that he is facially attractive.
Original post by Scott.
I don't need too.

Obviously there's more important things than height, such as body type, and what a persons face looks like.

I'm 5ft11 which isn't tall. But I'd rather have a decent body type, and have average looks than be a six inches taller, and have a face like ****.And i very much doubt that if I were five inches taller I'd be seen as more attractive.

But you said being taller doesn't make a guy more attractive (all else being equal, obviously). That is quite clearly incorrect. As I said, read the thread.

On this poll, over 60% of girls said they wouldn't date a guy who was shorter than them. (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=25657) Therefore, quite obviously, the guy being taller would have made him "more attractive".
Reply 50
Original post by Anonymous
But you said being taller doesn't make a guy more attractive (all else being equal, obviously). That is quite clearly incorrect. As I said, read the thread.

On this poll, over 60% of girls said they wouldn't date a guy who was shorter than them. (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=25657) Therefore, quite obviously, the guy being taller would have made him "more attractive".

The question is, "would you date a guy shorter than you", quite clearly this is implying any guy, and it only takes into account one variable, which makes no sense because it's obvious other variables have to be taken into account.

And only two hundred people answered.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by llessur123
Yes.

I am personally attracted to taller guys like from 5'10 to 6'3(im 5'6), I just prefer guys to be taller than me when I wear both flats and heels. But that doesn't mean if I met a great guy who was the same height as me or a tad bit shorter he would be dismissed.
I'm quite short, so pretty much all guys are taller than me anyway.

I prefer someone who isn't too tall, otherwise I'd have to wear heels every time I'm with them to talk them properly and avoid getting neck cramps :P
Yes - I don't know why, it's probably innate.
What this forum seems to constantly fail to agree on is what "short" male is defined as. I'm 5'7 1/2 - 5'8, so near 5'8, I think thats regarded as short, but "too short" or "damningly short"? Like to think not. But that depends on the person I suppose.
Reply 55
I am 5’2....you are all taller....and I like you!
I don't see why men here are getting so irate about a bunch of women generally saying that they prefer taller men when on the whole it works the other way round too - men generally prefer smaller women. There have been threads about smaller women with the majority of men stating their preference and lust for them. Somehow guys can do this, but women can't express their preferences. Guys, would you WANT to date a taller woman? If not, stop being so bitter. In the majority of cases we're talking about relative height. Taller does not necessarily mean tall, and smaller doesn't necessarily mean small.
Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse
I don't see why men here are getting so irate about a bunch of women generally saying that they prefer taller men when on the whole it works the other way round too - men generally prefer smaller women. There have been threads about smaller women with the majority of men stating their preference and lust for them. Somehow guys can do this, but women can't express their preferences. Guys, would you WANT to date a taller woman? If not, stop being so bitter. In the majority of cases we're talking about relative height. Taller does not necessarily mean tall, and smaller doesn't necessarily mean small.

I think whilst men probably do prefer smaller women, they wouldn't have a "cutoff" whereby they'd refuse to date a taller woman. Whereas most women do seem like they would simply refuse to date a guy if he wasn't taller - I've heard loads of girls explicitly say this in real life, eg "I like him, but he's shorter than me, so I couldn't go out with him", and "I had to stand beside him to make sure he was taller before I asked him out".

I've never heard a guy say anything remotely similar. So it's more like a requirement than a preference when it comes to girls and taller guys.
Any girl 5'11, is my criteria.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by desdemonata
Personally I don't care. You can be a foot taller than me, half a foot taller, the same height, whatever. I've dated guys from all three groups. There's some good to each.

Yes, that's tall. If it isn't, what is? :lolwut: 6ft is above average, even for the UK.

Thanks, wasn't sure because of all the 6ft 3's in this thread. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending