The Student Room Group

Do girls prefer taller guys?

Scroll to see replies

I do like taller men me being 5ft 11 myself however I dont dislike shorter men I dont find shorter men unattractive or ugly its like saying some woman like men with blonde hair it doesnt mean if a man with brown hair came along she wouldnt fancy him. My boyfriends shorter than me so really height is irrelevent to me it may be a preference but its no biggie if their shorter
Reply 81
Original post by eliza.anne
I've been attracted to guys shorter than me. :dontknow: There are a lot of factors more important than height to me personally :redface:

Are you over 5'10''? since half the guys alive are shorter than 5'10'' (5'10'' is the national average for young men and by definition half of the population is below average), it's not surprising that you'll be attracted to guys shorter than you.
Reply 82
Original post by Cornelius
Are you over 5'10''? since half the guys alive are shorter than 5'10'' (5'10'' is the national average for young men and by definition half of the population is below average), it's not surprising that you'll be attracted to guys shorter than you.

Rofl no I'm just under 5'6".
Reply 83
Original post by eliza.anne
Rofl no I'm just under 5'6".

:colondollar: oh ok.

My sociological analysis failed.
Reply 84
Original post by Solid.Snake
Judging from comments in previous similar threads, I think it is very clear that the vast majority of girls do like tall men...

yep check out Buss D study on sex differences in human mate preferences if I recall. Women look for financial stability, physical factors like tall well built men who are in Western culture usually older. Conclusions stronger offspring and more dependable 'mate' to provide for family. Kind of weird to think about but interesting to look at the cross cultural variations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by Cornelius
:colondollar: oh ok.

My sociological analysis failed.

Its okay :tongue: I understood where you were coming from anyway. I happen to find Peter Dinklage for example extremely sexy though so as I said before, height isn't top priority :lol:
Reply 86
What is this the misc?

Who cares about height? Just lift, get shreded and forget what everyone else thinks.
Reply 87
Original post by jadpan
I prefer guys who are tall enough for ne to wear heels and myself still be shorter. I am 5'7" so >6' but I can't say I would avoid a shorter guy you can't chose how tall guys are going to be to be of a nice personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow love, aint asking for much are you?
Reply 88
Original post by Millie228
Generally speaking, girls prefer guys taller than themselves. Which means that the taller you are, the more girls you can appeal to. It is not the be-all and end-all obviously, but most guys can testament to this from their own experience.
A guy being tall is a plus in the same it is a plus for a woman to have long legs, great hair or a nice ass. If you don't have it, you can work your way around it, but there is no doubt that it is a plus. A research I read showed that men below a certain height who were successful with women showed very clear strengths in other areas - such as confidence, success, wealth and education.
Some girls are more focused on it than others. In general, the more powerful a man is, the better he does with women. Some women care more about social power, some about financial powers and some about physical power, the latter being the ones who care about height.
I am less focused on height than my other female friends, but I prefer for him to not be shorter than me. I am 5"9 and often wear heels. He may be slightly shorter if I am in 5" pumps, but preferably not when I'm in flats.

The thing is, taller men aren't stronger lol. Men can you aware these women on strength? Go for guys who lift iron. Taller men are more flimsy. Mike Tyson was 5"10 and could knock out most.
Reply 89
it may make a guy more attractive but thats only a short term factor cuz if the guy is a tall egghead then the girl will go for shorter nicer guy :smile:
Original post by jadpan
I prefer guys who are tall enough for ne to wear heels and myself still be shorter. I am 5'7" so >6' but I can't say I would avoid a shorter guy you can't chose how tall guys are going to be to be of a nice personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't suppose you carry a measuring tape with you when checking out potential boyfriends, do you?
Reply 91
Original post by Hasumi-Yamanaka
Hey Dara!! What the hell its pretty wierd stumbling across a post by someone i know in real life l o l

Anyway, biologically girls prefer taller guys because evolutionarily they were the strongest hunters, meaning they could come back to their cave dragging along a bigger beast behind them. they could also ward off any danger because of their intimidating size and therefore protect his family. But of course.. Life isnt a jungle, and although our basic instincts and primitive brain control our attractions, we live in a society where we value other traits in men besides their height.

That being said, tall guys get me excited
*drool*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well bless david joneses locker, but you look like jenna louise coleman

+ taller guys aren't stronger! Please watch any combative sport and come back to me.
Reply 92
Original post by kashfia
it may make a guy more attractive but thats only a short term factor cuz if the guy is a tall egghead then the girl will go for shorter nicer guy :smile:

So you would prefer a guy who had a few more inches of bone and muscle tissue, if both had the same personality?

Putting it into perspective.
Reply 93
tl;dr

yes.
Reply 94
Original post by Foo.mp3
Fair point but you'd then have malformed and structurally unsound legs, and look like a freak - rendering such an effort not only beyond cosmetic surgery (which is really the most that all your points re: female physical characteristics need entail) but also beyond common sense!

Furthermore, something I didn't raise in my previous post is that guys have diverse sets of physical requirements, the percentage of the male population who see: "big ass, big tits, green/blue eyes and long perfect hair" as the pinacle of female physical perfection is probably < 1%. One thing I should also say however, is that many guys also have a height preference (myself included)

Spoiler

The proportion of women who would ideally like a guy who is taller than them will be > 90%

So, like I say, girls can fix the things you mention far more easily/sustainably, and they also have makeup (can turn a 6/10 into a perceived 8/10), and the fact that men are more at the mercy of their sexual urges, on their side e.g. a shortass man has to work hard to 'win a girl over' whereas a slightly unfortunate girl (in the respects you mentioned) simply has to get a guy horny (..and then get herself pregnant, in some instances - not that I condone this practice or am suggesting all that many girls think that way, but it is one way in which lasses 'snare' guys)

(Young) women are in a far more privileged position when it comes to being able to game men on the basis of physical characteristics alone, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that really. Of course, that changes over time and the tables turn dramatically later in life (so enjoy it while it lasts!) :awesome:

This. Women just use lipo, or lose weight, or get implants. Men have to work their butts off to get swole.

Men have it much harder, and are more at the mercy of their hard work and genetics than women. But we're the king of the jungle, so it evens out.
Reply 95
This thread is racist. There are men in some races who are on average shorter, and hence on average less attractive.
Of course they do.

Glad I'm half Dutch and 6'3 then :cool:
Reply 97
This thread is esoteric as hell. It feels like we've all been given UKCAT scores out of pot luck.
Original post by Zürich
Of course they do.

Glad I'm half Dutch and 6'3 then :cool:

the Dutch bit is cooler for me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pinksugar
the Dutch bit is cooler for me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

:banana:

Quick Reply

Latest