The Student Room Group

Can I do a Medicine degree at Cambridge? Looking ahead.

Hey guys,

I really want to study Medicine at a top university with a beautiful setting and at a recognized university by employers.

These are my predicted GCSE results:

β€’

A in I.T.

β€’

A* in Film Studies

β€’

A in History

β€’

B in Photography

β€’

B in English

β€’

A in Maths

β€’

Credit in DiDA (Equivalent of a B)

β€’

B in Religous Studies

β€’

C in Science (OCR Gateway Foundation)

β€’

C in Additional Science (OCR Gateway Foundation)

Then at A-Level if I got:
The school predicted me these in a trial 3 weeks I was put on in October if I continue at the standard I was working.

β€’

A in Biology

β€’

A in Chemistry

β€’

A in English Literature

β€’

A* in History

β€’

A* in Film Studies

Would I be accepted to Cambridge with those A-Levels.

Could I get into Cambridge to do Medicine with those sort of results?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cs at GCSE science, then As at A level?

EDIT: Also i'm pretty sure I have read that the average number of A*s at GCSE for a cambridge student is around 7. You don't need to worry about a medicine degree not being respected by employers. Doing medicine anywhere in the UK shows you're very academically capable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
1) GCSE's don't matter if you have good AS/A level results
2) Getting an offer isn't dependent on grades, it depends on the UMS marks you score.
3) Film Studies won't be considered and more importantly it wouldn't feature in your offer so you're better off doing well in Chemistry and Biology.
4) Cambridge has a very science based Medicine course and so it is often high recommended that you have three science subjects (including maths) as it makes it easier to deal with.
5) There are sooooo many other factors which are also considered. For instance, getting those A level results from a poor school is amazing in comparison to someone getting them from an already high achieving school.
Reply 3
Original post by Economi

This ^^

The only person I've ever known to get an offer for medicine at Cambridge got 5A* predictions at A-level, though i'm not saying that you shouldn't look into applying if you do get those grades. You have to remember you only have 4 choices anyway and even a normal medical schools are incredibly hard to get into.
Original post by Economi

This, pretty much.

OP, I think those Cs may hold you back a little when it comes to Cambridge. The A-Level results are all fine and dandy, but they ARE only predictions. Also, you will be up against many people who got straight A and A* grades at GCSE, particularly in the sciences.

You seem to be good at your arts subjects though (History and Film Studies in particular). Is medicine definitely what you want to do at this point in time? There is nothing like having something to aspire for, but your GCSE predictions do suggest science is currently your weakest subject.
Reply 5
Original post by uniphysics
1) GCSE's don't matter if you have good AS/A level results
2) Getting an offer isn't dependent on grades, it depends on the UMS marks you score.
3) Film Studies won't be considered and more importantly it wouldn't feature in your offer so you're better off doing well in Chemistry and Biology.
4) Cambridge has a very science based Medicine course and so it is often high recommended that you have three science subjects (including maths) as it makes it easier to deal with.
5) There are sooooo many other factors which are also considered. For instance, getting those A level results from a poor school is amazing in comparison to someone getting them from an already high achieving school.

So my GCSEs won't matter as much at Cambridge and I go to Kingsbridge Community College which is a pretty high achieving school I think.
No, Cambridge mostly look at AS results and for the medical school effectively require 90%+ in Bio and Chem and if you're doing 5 subjects that will be incredibly difficult, it's hard enough with just 4, I tried that and ended up dropping my 4th A2 during April because even having one essay subject was too much work and honestly your GCSE grades aren't really up to it and this is coming from someone with very low GCSE grades for someone who applied to medical school (1A* 4A 4B 1C).

While I'm here which medical school you go to doesn't really matter, when applying for foundation programs they don't see which university you attended and after that what matters most is where you trained.

I would strongly advise that you consider another career path.
Reply 7
Original post by Where'sPerry?
This, pretty much.

OP, I think those Cs may hold you back a little when it comes to Cambridge. The A-Level results are all fine and dandy, but they ARE only predictions. Also, you will be up against many people who got straight A and A* grades at GCSE, particularly in the sciences.

You seem to be good at your arts subjects though (History and Film Studies in particular). Is medicine definitely what you want to do at this point in time? There is nothing like having something to aspire for, but your GCSE predictions do suggest science is currently your weakest subject.

The school could not decide whether to put me in for Higher or not and they now regret it as it is too late too change over. Also, Medicine is my dream!
Reply 8
Original post by jsmben
Hey guys,

I really want to study Medicine at a top university with a beautiful setting and at a recognized university by employers.

These are my predicted GCSE results:

β€’

A in I.T.

β€’

A* in Film Studies

β€’

A in History

β€’

B in Photography

β€’

B in English

β€’

A in Maths

β€’

Credit in DiDA (Equivalent of a B)

β€’

B in Religous Studies

β€’

C in Science (OCR Gateway Foundation)

β€’

C in Additional Science (OCR Gateway Foundation)

Then at A-Level if I got:
The school predicted me these in a trial 3 weeks I was put on in October if I continue at the standard I was working.

β€’

A in Biology

β€’

A in Chemistry

β€’

A in English Literature

β€’

A* in History

β€’

A* in Film Studies

Would I be accepted to Cambridge with those A-Levels.

Could I get into Cambridge to do Medicine with those sort of results?

you need to take higher tier science...
Reply 9
Original post by jsmben
The school could not decide whether to put me in for Higher or not and they now regret it as it is too late too change over. Also, Medicine is my dream!

I hate to be mean but a medicine student wouldn't even have to consider whether or not they're going into higher or foundation. I think you need a new dream i'm afraid. :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by jsmben

Same happened with me :frown:

Schools are awful at determining this, I had to sit though mind boggling hours of foundation GCSE and I ended up getting a B and C respectively (my coursework pushed my C above the boundary). It is frankly ridiculous, that schools shoot down peoples dreams from such a young age, I was frankly pissed off with my school entirely.

Come my GCSE results, I've being told I can only take mathematics as a science alevel, this just infuriated me, and now I'm stuck with a bunch of essay subjects. People who are like ''C at GCSE, BUT A at as level, impossibru'' are wrong in some scenarios, if your willing to put in the work, you will get the grades. Take myself for example, I got a C in history GCSE and a B in Maths GCSE, yet for alevel after self-teaching further maths AS, nearly all my scores are above 90+ with hard work (apart from history which is 80+).

Do not be discouraged, if you can't actually find a place to study, self-study it is hard but it is worth it if you want to get into the likes of Cambridge, GCSEs should not shatter all your chances or be the determinant on whether you make it into Cambridge or not.
Reply 11
Original post by Economi
I hate to be mean but a medicine student wouldn't even have to consider whether or not they're going into higher or foundation. I think you need a new dream i'm afraid. :frown:

I didn't get the choice. I tried and the school now realize by not listening to me it was a huge mistake. :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Robbie242
Same happened with me :frown:

Schools are awful at determining this, I had to sit though mind boggling hours of foundation GCSE and I ended up getting a B and C respectively (my coursework pushed my C above the boundary). It is frankly ridiculous, that schools shoot down peoples dreams from such a young age, I was frankly pissed off with my school entirely.

Come my GCSE results, I've being told I can only take mathematics as a science alevel, this just infuriated me, and now I'm stuck with a bunch of essay subjects. People who are like ''C at GCSE, BUT A at as level, impossibru'' are wrong in some scenarios, if your willing to put in the work, you will get the grades. Take myself for example, I got a C in history GCSE and a B in Maths GCSE, yet for alevel after self-teaching further maths AS, nearly all my scores are above 90+ with hard work (apart from history which is 80+).

Do not be discouraged, if you can't actually find a place to study, self-study it is hard but it is worth it if you want to get into the likes of Cambridge, GCSEs should not shatter all your chances or be the determinant on whether you make it into Cambridge or not.

Thank you for your kind words. That has really boosted my confidence and I am extremely determined to get into Cambridge no matter how hard I have to work at A-Level in Year 12 & 13. My dream means loads to me. Congratulations on your scores as well. Bring on the A-levels! Also I have a place to study at my schools 6th Form and they said they would take me on no matter what!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by jsmben
Thank you for your kind words. That has really boosted my confidence and I am extremely determined to get into Cambridge no matter how hard I have to work at A-Level in Year 12 & 13. My dream means loads to me. Congratulations on your scores as well. Bring on the A-levels! Also I have a place to study at my schools 6th Form and they said they would take me on no matter what!

Great! A few words of advice for a new alevel candidate

- START FROM DAY 1, go over your lesson work, devise your own notes, effective revision strategies are essential
- Do not do too much, I did this for history and my January module turned out a C, I knew why though and have improved it this time
- Towards exam i.e. lets say 1month before, belt out a few past papers every now and then such that you have everything done and perhaps notes on exam responses noted down before you sit the exam
- It will be a step up, but it will be more rewarding to not rote-learn everything, instead you will tested on your exam technique, and knowledge over time.

This is great news that you have a place at your 6th form, by all means take it, if you get AAA (90+ preferably) Cambridge will notice this, and you will not be disadvantaged.

Also your alevels may need switching up a bit, are you sure film studies, although probably fun, will be of use in the long run? I do 4Alevels, cambridge only require 3, with 5 and C's at GCSE it could become overwhelming

It can get tough at times, you just gotta keep pushing, I was at grade F in maths at the start of the year, now I'm at A* (well 90+ but you get the point)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
As stated above, getting into a 5 year medicine course - even 6 shows your capable enough by employers and you will get a job regardless because they have like what 99% employment rates? - obviously aiming for a russel group to do medicine will make you a stronger candidate...

I woouldnt stresss yourself out mate, you need a bunch of A*'s and only a few A's for gcse's and a levels for cambridge - aim for a russel for medicine that'll light up an employers face

(still dont understand how they can predict your alevels if you haven't even done your gcses) boy that's just misleading....
Reply 15
Original post by Robbie242
Great! A few words of advice for a new alevel candidate

- START FROM DAY 1, go over your lesson work, devise your own notes, effective revision strategies are essential
- Do not do too much, I did this for history and my January module turned out a C, I knew why though and have improved it this time
- Towards exam i.e. lets say 1month before, belt out a few past papers every now and then such that you have everything done and perhaps notes on exam responses noted down before you sit the exam
- It will be a step up, but it will be more rewarding to not rote-learn everything, instead you will tested on your exam technique, and knowledge over time.

This is great news that you have a place at your 6th form, by all means take it, if you get AAA (90+ preferably) Cambridge will notice this, and you will not be disadvantaged.

Also your alevels may need switching up a bit, are you sure film studies, although probably fun, will be off use in the long run? I do 4Alevels, cambridge only require 3, with 5 and C's at GCSE it could become overwhelming

It can get tough at times, you just gotta keep pushing, I was at grade F in maths at the start of the year, now I'm at A* (well 90+ but you get the point)

Do you believe I have made the right choices at A-Level, I opted for film studies as I enjoy films and it is taught after school. Biology and Chemistry are a must, anything you would recommend?
Original post by jsmben

That's really bad. :frown: I think that Higher tier should be the default tbh, unless it is VERY obvious a student isn't able to cope with the work.

That's great that you have that dream! I have wanted to study marine biology ever since I was in year 7, and I was interested in the ocean long before that. People didn't really take me seriously but it's something I have always had a passion for and this September, I begin my marine biology degree! Having my dream has always given me direction and made me work hard towards all my exams. Don't let anyone try to put you off. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by SagarG
As stated above, getting into a 5 year medicine course - even 6 shows your capable enough by employers and you will get a job regardless because they have like what 99% employment rates? - obviously aiming for a russel group to do medicine will make you a stronger candidate...

I woouldnt stresss yourself out mate, you need a bunch of A*'s and only a few A's for gcse's and a levels for cambridge - aim for a russel for medicine that'll light up an employers face

(still dont understand how they can predict your alevels if you haven't even done your gcses) boy that's just misleading....

I sat in on some A-level classes for 3 weeks in October and did a few tests at the end of it and they predicted me those A-Level grades. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by jsmben
Do you believe I have made the right choices at A-Level, I opted for film studies as I enjoy films and it is taught after school. Biology and Chemistry are a must, anything you would recommend?

Tbh I'd go an alevel down, I was on the brink of tipping with 4Alevels, I don't understand how people do 5, and although you enjoy films, is this a good use of your time, do you really need a qualification for films, your subjects apart from film studies are in the top tier here is the list. Trinity college - http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Also, a major point here to note - Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics.

Look at the success rate otherwise - 98 per cent of applicants for Medicine (A100) offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 22 per cent were successful in obtaining a place. Of the two per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, just six per cent were successful in gaining a place.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/

This means you need 3 science alevels essentially, and your not offering this, you definitely need to offer 1 more science, so boot out two of your options for one science, if you don't want to die from alevel pressure, cambridge prefer more focused candidates anyway, 5 alevels can often distort direction
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
If medicine is "your dream" then how come just a few days ago you were asking about the film industry?

And even eleven hours ago you made a thread asking for peoples advice about what do to as a career? Nowhere was medicine mentioned.

I'm not trying to bully you here, I'm just genuinely interested to know if medicine is a long-standing dream or not and, if it is, what you know about medicine at university.

It's fine if it isn't, as some don't consider medicine until their twenties or thirties, let alone their mid teens.

As for your results, Film Studies shouldn't matter if taken as a fifth subject. However, there's no need to take five subjects. It is actually quite stupid considering the workload that is required for just three. You also should have A*s and As and Science GCSE.

Original post by SagarG
As stated above, getting into a 5 year medicine course - even 6 shows your capable enough by employers and you will get a job regardless because they have like what 99% employment rates? - obviously aiming for a russel group to do medicine will make you a stronger candidate... aim for a russel for medicine that'll light up an employers face

No it won't, for two reasons.

Firstly, Russell Group universities are not necessarily stronger, and better perceived, than non-Russell Group universities.

Secondly, applications to foundation posts within the NHS are "blind". The name of the university attended is not made known.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest