Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We have just recently had some overseas visitors staying with us. We were all watching TV one night when our Drink Driving commercial came on with a derro ausise bloke saying "If ya drink n' drive, your a Bloody Idiot" they were shocked to see such an ad on TV, We have never noticed, but it was mentioned again when a scottish comedian started talking about how our culture is 'hard but fair... next youll be saying on your cigarett packets, Dont smoke ya ****!" which wouldnt surprise me. What I was wondering is if you guys over in you part of the world have any commercials like that?

ReputationRep:
    Not the bloody idiot bit, but we do have quite hard-hitting adverts, including one with a slice of pizza.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Not the bloody idiot bit, but we do have quite hard-hitting adverts, including one with a slice of pizza.
    Oooooh...that's a nasty one....the one before that was worse...with the guy in the back of the car without a seatbelt craking his head into the back of his mum's head!! Eeeeew!!! I always wear a seatbelt!!!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Oooooh...that's a nasty one....the one before that was worse...with the guy in the back of the car without a seatbelt craking his head into the back of his mum's head!! Eeeeew!!! I always wear a seatbelt!!!!!!

G
    Oh yes - with the white van. That was a good one.

ReputationRep:
    those adverts are nothing

the one that shocked me was

a guy was driving along, under the influence, his car flips, rolls into someones garden where a young boy of maybe 3 years was playing - rolls on top of him - all in a split second - now that is scary

ReputationRep:
    We have another for Driving while tired... It shows car accident footage and dead bodies and then "Dont roll over in your sleep"

ReputationRep:
    dont drink and

D R I V E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    We have another for Driving while tired... It shows car accident footage and dead bodies and then "Dont roll over in your sleep"
    Oh no..

ReputationRep:
    Nope, perhaps my country is not so open yet as advertisments are still quite conservative. No inappropriate words are allowed.

Henceforth, 'blood idiot' and '****' is definitely out of the question.

ReputationRep:
    The pizza one?

I remeber the boy in the back killing his mum in the car. And the one with the driver following the boy on a bike... and then he swerves in to a van.

As for controversial ad's ch4's new can't be show on TV only online one is great... http://www.channel4.com/ads/index1.html.... if you remeber all the ads with famous people saying when they lost their virginity, favourites foods, words etc... this is their fave swear word and not it is not a spoof.

As for other controversial ads in the UK... the "evil twin" Ford Ka adverts were funny (see here http://www.the-eviltwin.co.uk/ click "view highlights")

The new smoking ads are bit wierd... there was one with children and babies breathing out smoke and one with a fag cut over to see a vein full on fat... looks really dicusting and is on billboard all over the town... and they complain about children seeing "inapproriate" things.. well I don't tihng its very approriate to see that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txt_eva)
    The pizza one?

I remeber the boy in the back killing his mum in the car. And the one with the driver following the boy on a bike... and then he swerves in to a van.

As for controversial ad's ch4's new can't be show on TV only online one is great... http://www.channel4.com/ads/index1.html.... if you remeber all the ads with famous people saying when they lost their virginity, favourites foods, words etc... this is their fave swear word and not it is not a spoof.

As for other controversial ads in the UK... the "evil twin" Ford Ka adverts were funny (see here http://www.the-eviltwin.co.uk/ click "view highlights")

The new smoking ads are bit wierd... there was one with children and babies breathing out smoke and one with a fag cut over to see a vein full on fat... looks really dicusting and is on billboard all over the town... and they complain about children seeing "inapproriate" things.. well I don't tihng its very approriate to see that.
    The fat dripping out of the cigarette has been a hige success in putting me off smoking for life. it makes me feel physically sick! Thanks british heart foundation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theycallmemrpig)
    those adverts are nothing

the one that shocked me was

a guy was driving along, under the influence, his car flips, rolls into someones garden where a young boy of maybe 3 years was playing - rolls on top of him - all in a split second - now that is scary
    theres the one with the guy speeding ~10mph over the limit, and hits the young boy in the road. That one's quite shocking.

ReputationRep:
    I remeber that one... that was shocking, but it was done well in a way that (i think) there was not blood or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    theres the one with the guy speeding ~10mph over the limit, and hits the young boy in the road. That one's quite shocking.
    Yeah its horrible. alot of people i know just dismiss that ad cus its old. crazy really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    The fat dripping out of the cigarette has been a hige success in putting me off smoking for life. it makes me feel physically sick! Thanks british heart foundation!
    I don't smoke (much) but I think it is really really revolting. If it was anyone but BHF then it wouldn't be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    We have just recently had some overseas visitors staying with us. We were all watching TV one night when our Drink Driving commercial came on with a derro ausise bloke saying "If ya drink n' drive, your a Bloody Idiot" they were shocked to see such an ad on TV, We have never noticed, but it was mentioned again when a scottish comedian started talking about how our culture is 'hard but fair... next youll be saying on your cigarett packets, Dont smoke ya ****!" which wouldnt surprise me. What I was wondering is if you guys over in you part of the world have any commercials like that?
    I saw that on *tarrant on tv* a show where they show clips from other countries tv progs and ad's. I thought it wasnt as effective as some fo the british ones as they are much more graphic

ReputationRep:
    We have a smoking series, but the best one is where a surgeon is holding an aorta and then squeezes the fat build up caused by smoking out of it onto a plate... It was not cool to watch at dinner time.

ReputationRep:
    There was one with a driver who had a motorcyclist following them, and they kept chekcing their rear view mirror to keep an eye on them and when they next look the motorcyclist is gone. They then turn right without checking their blindspot, and the motorcyclist who had been overtaking goes straight into them. Not that shocking or graphic but it was on around the time I just started learning to drive and it made me paranoid about motorcyclists following me and checking my blindspot.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.