Turn on thread page Beta

Travelling after uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to do my degree then take my year out and go travelling around the world with my boyfriend. I have to go travelling some time, i can't imagine being stuck in a job straight out of uni and spend 40yrs doing the same thing. However, the second part of my master plan is to either do a further degree post-grad or go into accountancy, and do a placement in my penultimate year. I don't know what it would do to my employment prospects to go swanning off for a year? I plan to hone my French skills on the way, i suppose that is something! What does everyone think on what this would do to my employment prospects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I am planning to do my degree then take my year out and go travelling around the world with my boyfriend. I have to go travelling some time, i can't imagine being stuck in a job straight out of uni and spend 40yrs doing the same thing. However, the second part of my master plan is to either do a further degree post-grad or go into accountancy, and do a placement in my penultimate year. I don't know what it would do to my employment prospects to go swanning off for a year? I plan to hone my French skills on the way, i suppose that is something! What does everyone think on what this would do to my employment prospects?
    I think it would be a good idea to take a gap year before starting your job, especially if your planning to learn French during this time. That will certainly help your application. If you're planning to do a further degree, you might want to take your gap year after that. That's how I would do it anyway. Hope this helps! Bonne chance!

ReputationRep:
    I think that it would actually be great to go of traveling after Uni, i have similar plans to travel. The way i look at it, if a person has gone off traveling for a year then the chances are they will have broardened their horizons and learned so much that they would be a really interesting and inteligent person so employers are more likely to hire you. I'd say definetly go off traveling, if you can't do it when u are 21 and free of kids and commitments then when can you???

ReputationRep:
    Yeah go travel whilst you are young and before you rack up any more debt by doing a postgrad!
    Im sure it will make you more focused to take a break whilst doing something constructive (even if it is lying on beach!)

ReputationRep:
    I want to travel WHILE I'm at uni.... more debt for me!

ReputationRep:
    i plan to travel after uni as well, a welcome reward after so moany years of education. i dont think it will have any negative effects on your job prospects. more a ppositive thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    I want to travel WHILE I'm at uni.... more debt for me!
    I plan to travel in the summer holidays. Oh the long summer holidays...

ReputationRep:
    How about taking a Sandwich degree - Most uni's will be happy to place you abroad to work for a year and that way you'll be able to travel and live in a different country, be working and earning and it will still be acedemically worthwhile - many employer wil REALLY like that. You can also improve on a foreign language if you want to aswell

ReputationRep:
    i'm going travelling before uni - i don't have any commitments right now and can do it easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    i'm going travelling before uni - i don't have any commitments right now and can do it easily.
    Same here. I'm planning to tour Europe this summer.

ReputationRep:
    i think i'll be going travelling in the holidays while i'm at uni. i'm of to mexico for a month this summer, where's everyone else going?

ReputationRep:
    Cool, I started a trend yesterday by buying my boyfriend a travel guide to Barcelona, so we are going to get millions of books and travel everywhere that we have a book for. I definately want to spend some time in Rome, S.France and Australia, he defo wants to go to Canada and New York so we will go wherever we feel like. I may get one of those EuroTrain card things so I can go wherever I want. Thanks for reassuring me, will get down to planning it now!
    xxx

everyone i know plans to do this but i doubt i will travel after uni, an extra grand or so of debt does not appeal, am travelling this summer (first year) instead and this seems like the best plan to me

when it comes down to it its very unlikely you will be able to afford to spend a year travelling, plus if you do so you will miss the graduate recruitment for the next year as well..sorry

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about taking a year out. Just make sure you collect up a lot of work experience before then (that goes for anyone actually). Word the year out on your CV so that it stresses the learning French bit of it. Enjoy yourself!

ReputationRep:
    the second part of my master plan is to either do a further degree post-grad or go into accountancy,
    Noooooooooooo not accountancy!!! It is absolutely the most boring thing you could possibly do!!! Believe me, my dad's one, and he's pushed me to go into it since I waslittle. Couldn't imagine doing anything worse!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    everyone i know plans to do this but i doubt i will travel after uni, an extra grand or so of debt does not appeal, am travelling this summer (first year) instead and this seems like the best plan to me

when it comes down to it its very unlikely you will be able to afford to spend a year travelling, plus if you do so you will miss the graduate recruitment for the next year as well..sorry
    This was what I was worried about, missing out on the milk round opportunities, but I have missed the boat for gap years and I have to compromise because my boyfriend doesn't want to go in the summers of university, anyway-i need to earn money because LSE is not covered by student loans alone. I am in a bit of a predicament :-)

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking of doing that too. It still seems quite a long way off though so I'll see how things go. I'm spending a year in France as part of my degree but there are so many other places I want to see! I think it's better if you do something constructive in a gap year as this employers will appreciate it.
    On the other hand, there are times when you have to push aside the practical things and create opportunities to do something that's important to you, like travelling.
    We had a talk from a guy at school who went back-packing round the world. He said he only had to work for 4-5 months to save about £5000 and he had enough money to travel round the world. He described his experiences to us and I thought how great it'd be to have memories like that.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.