The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Dale Hall or Derby and Rathbone Halls

Hey guys, so this is my first post on here and I've got a question. So I'm on my gap year at the moment and have just finished applying for accommodation at University of Liverpool where I have an unconditional for Mechanical Engineering, I just wanted to ask which accommodation out of the two mentioned in the title you lot prefer? It has to be self-catered so that's why I've narrowed it down to these two, also being the cheapest. However I would like to know from any past/current students who have stayed at either of these halls, which one is the best for the social aspect of student life? I.e. which one has the most flat parties and has the atmosphere better suited for clubbing/drinking :biggrin:? I know it seems a tad dumb considering how full on my degree is, but I do aim to have a good time at uni hence Newcastle and Liverpool being my choices.. Any help would be much appreciated!
Dale has only got a bit of self-catered. But it is based a 'long corridor' system. I think that means that you are likely to meet more people because you meet everyone on the corridor. Carnatic is big student community, which is different to the posher halls.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by Joshie_T
Hey guys, so this is my first post on here and I've got a question. So I'm on my gap year at the moment and have just finished applying for accommodation at University of Liverpool where I have an unconditional for Mechanical Engineering, I just wanted to ask which accommodation out of the two mentioned in the title you lot prefer? It has to be self-catered so that's why I've narrowed it down to these two, also being the cheapest. However I would like to know from any past/current students who have stayed at either of these halls, which one is the best for the social aspect of student life? I.e. which one has the most flat parties and has the atmosphere better suited for clubbing/drinking :biggrin:? I know it seems a tad dumb considering how full on my degree is, but I do aim to have a good time at uni hence Newcastle and Liverpool being my choices.. Any help would be much appreciated!

I had an unconditional offer last year and went for Dale as my first choice which I got. Derby was a close second. Anyway after they gave everyone their halls (after exam results) they decided they weren't offering Dale to undergrads and tried to put me in a random on campus halls. I had a massive argument which went all the way up until September and they eventually put me in Roscoe and Gladstone, but I had to settle for catered. Anyway be careful with Dale! Derby looked like a great halls though, would recommend it self catered.
Reply 3
Original post by Ardinator
I had an unconditional offer last year and went for Dale as my first choice which I got. Derby was a close second. Anyway after they gave everyone their halls (after exam results) they decided they weren't offering Dale to undergrads and tried to put me in a random on campus halls. I had a massive argument which went all the way up until September and they eventually put me in Roscoe and Gladstone, but I had to settle for catered. Anyway be careful with Dale! Derby looked like a great halls though, would recommend it self catered.

They weren't offering Dale to undergrads? what do you mean?? Dale is my first choice!
Reply 4
Original post by jonnny
They weren't offering Dale to undergrads? what do you mean?? Dale is my first choice!

Same, if I don't get into Dale I will kick off biggg time
Reply 5
Same, if I don't get into Dale I will kick off biggg time

Yeah, well I if they're not offering dale to undergrads this year then I doubt they would have advertised it. are you already in or dependent on results?
Reply 6
Dale is my first choice as well - I'm assuming it wouldn't be an option if they're not accepting students into it - hopefully anyway, will be gutted if they change it again!
Reply 7
Original post by jonnny
Yeah, well I if they're not offering dale to undergrads this year then I doubt they would have advertised it. are you already in or dependent on results?

I'm already in but still haven't heard anything about accommodation yet..
Reply 8

I stayed in Dale Hall about 10 years ago. It was the only accomodation that offered self catering at the time (and I really wish I had gone for the catered option on reflection). However, there is a tesco at the top of Rose lane (about 10-15 minutes walk), so it's not bad.

My abiding memory of my time there was that our s/c corridor decided to trash the shared kitchen on a weekly basis, lol. So the whole corridor lost our deposits. I didn't find it funny at the time though- I had nothing to do with any of that. When you're s/c the cleanliness and hygiene in the kitchen is important. While we did have a cleaner, we were constantly told that she refused to clean it because it was in such a state. So they billed everyone for the extra time she worked in order to clean it.

I don't know how its changed in 10 years, but there's a blast from the past for you :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending