Lambeth College Access to medicine

Watch
gully88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all,
I've got a an assessment and interview at Lambeth college for the access to medicine and biomedical sciences on the 12th June. I've spent a good amount of time brushing up on my a level maths/sciences as i'll be taking gamsats this September. I was also recently successful in my application to study at Islington college. From previous threads I'm sceptical about this assessment being anything like that of the one I took in Islington college. Could anyone give us a take on their experiences on taking this assessment?(2013/14 applicants please)

Much appreciated.
SarahGummer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey

I hope you don't mind me commenting. I received places at both Lambeth and CANDI and went to CANDI. Just wondered what it is you want to study? I'd suggest asking about their success rates as Lambeth is often seen to be better than CANDI but actually I found CANDI excellent and our year group were very successful university offers wise (for Medicine, Dentistry, Physio, radiography diagnostic and therapy, Pharmacy, Biomedical Science, Biochemistry etc). I'm sure both courses are excellent I just found it hard to find much info about the courses when I was applying so wanted to give you my feedback
gully88
Rep:
?
Hey sarah,
Well I'm hoping to pursue a career in medicine and yes I had the same impression too concerning Lambeth college's success rates. I'm glad to hear that your year group were successful in securing university places in such a wide selection of courses including medicine.
Your feedbacks been very helpful I've yet to go to any of the open days at either colleges but as candi is significantly closer to where I live it now my preferred choice.

If anyone else is interested in applying to Lambeth college for an access course I will be posting my experience of the assessment. There is also a very accurate thread about the candi assessment somewhere on this site.

If anyone could post some details on the assessment at Lambeth it will be much appreciated.
SarahGummer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gully88)
Hey sarah,
Well I'm hoping to pursue a career in medicine and yes I had the same impression too concerning Lambeth college's success rates. I'm glad to hear that your year group were successful in securing university places in such a wide selection of courses including medicine.
Your feedbacks been very helpful I've yet to go to any of the open days at either colleges but as candi is significantly closer to where I live it now my preferred choice.

If anyone else is interested in applying to Lambeth college for an access course I will be posting my experience of the assessment. There is also a very accurate thread about the candi assessment somewhere on this site.

If anyone could post some details on the assessment at Lambeth it will be much appreciated.
No problem, that's great

I myself am pursuing medicine and received offers from 3 Medical schools and withdrew from my 4th option. Two other people from my year also got places at a medical school each. I very much think the success of candidates is based on the candidates themselves... rather than the college necessarily. Some colleges tend to attract better candidates which keeps their success rates high (such as COWA) but ultimately if you are prepared to work hard CANDI are very supportive. My tutor Imran wrote me an excellent reference which defiitely contributed to my success, and the teaching is very good. I believe every medical school which accepts the Lambeth course also accepts the CANDI course, hopefully you will find the best option for you! Also the Lambeth interview when I interviewed was a group discussion type interview, very different from CANDI
haimoka
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi all,
I've got a an assessment and interview at Lambeth college for the access to medicine and biomedical sciences on the 12th June. I've spent a good amount of time brushing up on my a level maths/sciences as i'll be taking gamsats this September. I was also recently successful in my application to study at Islington college. From previous threads I'm sceptical about this assessment being anything like that of the one I took in Islington college. Could anyone give us a take on their experiences on taking this assessment?(2013/14 applicants please)

Much appreciated.

Hey there,
I had my interview in may <i think> so i might be able to help you a bit. Anyway the assessment is basically in 2 sections. The first is a math and English computerized test which isn't that difficult and mostly basic. After an hour or so <depends on how fast/slow you finish the previous one> we were led to one of the classrooms for a written test on maths which comprises of basic and applied maths and then English;essay and comprehension. A couple of people complained about how difficult the test was and how they couldn't make head nor tail of it but in my opinion I thought the exams was standard and ok however it might be advisable to brush on your gcse math and also with regards to the applied maths read and analyze the question thoroughly before attempting to answer it. And if possible do not waste too much time on one question since it might eat into the others and you will have to hand in your papers half finished. p.s. it happened to one lady. Anyway I hope i was of much help and I wish you all the best. Let me know if you need any more help
Fdahir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey I was wondering if you tell me more about the assessment test because my English is not that good but my Maths is really good. What type of essay writing was it and the online English test. Thank you
Fdahir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by haimoka)
Hey there,
I had my interview in may <i think> so i might be able to help you a bit. Anyway the assessment is basically in 2 sections. The first is a math and English computerized test which isn't that difficult and mostly basic. After an hour or so <depends on how fast/slow you finish the previous one> we were led to one of the classrooms for a written test on maths which comprises of basic and applied maths and then English;essay and comprehension. A couple of people complained about how difficult the test was and how they couldn't make head nor tail of it but in my opinion I thought the exams was standard and ok however it might be advisable to brush on your gcse math and also with regards to the applied maths read and analyze the question thoroughly before attempting to answer it. And if possible do not waste too much time on one question since it might eat into the others and you will have to hand in your papers half finished. p.s. it happened to one lady. Anyway I hope i was of much help and I wish you all the best. Let me know if you need any more help

Hey I was wondering if you tell me more about the assessment test because my English is not that good but my Maths is really good. What type of essay writing was it and the online English test. Thank you
haimoka
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fdahir)
The online test is mostly about basic stuff and the written test consisted of comprehension and essay which was about obesity. From what I gather the essay is just to see how well you can express yourself in english. Hope this helps. all the best
crystal1330
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi all,

Much appreciated.
Hi,

I was going to study this at Lambeth as I didn't think I could go to Uni this year (Law). I didnt want to spend a year out of study and before I knew about Birkbecks Cert to HE in Legal Methods, I was going to study the medicine Access for "fun" as its an area that I have an interest in but do not want to pursue a career in.

Anyway, im going to Uni now but I have to say, I probably would have changed my mind about studying at Lambeth anyway. After submitting an online application two months ago, emails asking questions etc, I receive a letter last week just telling me what date to go and enroll. No mention of an assessment, no questions answered about the course that I had sent emails about. I found the process very disorganised and found it very strange to not even be asked to go to an assessment. Yet the previous year when I applied, I was told as I had no relevant work experience I wouldn't be considered! A client of mine who wants to study an Access to science attended an assessment at Lambeth and said the whole thing was diabolical and she found them very rude and apparently there Ofsted was extremely poor.

Everyone has good and bad experiences at every college out there but I would just say think very carefully about Lambeth, its ability and its reputation as although how well you do will be the most important things to Universities, if they have a poor teaching rep and very poor Ofsted, Universities may not hold the college in very high regard and be a bit "weary" of the students it is producing.

Good luck with the course anyhow!
jami74
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by crystal1330)
Hi,

A client of mine who wants to study an Access to science attended an assessment at Lambeth and said the whole thing was diabolical and she found them very rude and apparently there Ofsted was extremely poor.

if they have a poor teaching rep and very poor Ofsted, Universities may not hold the college in very high regard and be a bit "weary" of the students it is producing.
I went there a couple of years ago when Ofsted were visiting. The college did receive an overall bad Ofsted report, however the Access to medicine department is generally quite separate to the other parts of the college and was exceeding in their targets. The year I went there were no complaints from the students (that I was aware of) and lots of people got onto the degree of their choice. Over the years they have built up good relationships with medical schools and universities and I would imagine that these relationships plus the conduct and achievements of ex-Lambeth students outweigh a bad Ofsted report.

Obviously things might have changed but when I was there I found the service at reception or on the phone not that great but once the course actually started the teaching, resources and course structure was excellent.
Fdahir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by haimoka)
The online test is mostly about basic stuff and the written test consisted of comprehension and essay which was about obesity. From what I gather the essay is just to see how well you can express yourself in english. Hope this helps. all the best
Thank you so essay is relating to medicine
gully88
Rep:
?
Hey got in, assessment was nothing to worry about. I'm currently working at kings college hospital and doing some volunteer work there also! I also got in to city and islington college. I'm still unsure which college to go to and i have been sent enrollment dates to attend :s Both colleges have the same course and can get me into the university's i'm interested in!

lambeth is close to kings but i finish my work placement there in september..

Just need some upto date insight into each college

if anyone could help it'll be much appreciated.
SarahGummer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey got in, assessment was nothing to worry about. I'm currently working at kings college hospital and doing some volunteer work there also! I also got in to city and islington college. I'm still unsure which college to go to and i have been sent enrollment dates to attend :s Both colleges have the same course and can get me into the university's i'm interested in!

lambeth is close to kings but i finish my work placement there in september..

Just need some upto date insight into each college

if anyone could help it'll be much appreciated.

I studied at CANDI 2012-2013 and highly recommend it. Most people got into their chosen course including all medic applicants with a UKCAT of 600+. I'd say pick the one you think will be the best fit for you, I had a very good experience at CANDI and would definitely recommend it
gully88
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello all

I thought i'd let you know how i got on this year.

I finally settled on going to CANDI and it was fantastic the teachers, environment and the course. Unfortunately i was plagues with sickness whilst studying and didn't do as well as i hoped.

soo i didn't get into any uni's for medicine although i did pretty well in the ukcat 670 avg. i wont be pursuing a career in medicine as i've found something more to my taste.

I've chosen to study nursing at kingston through ucas extra and from all the experience i've had and quite abit of insight into the course, i think it will be just as challenging and engaging for myself.

I never knew nurses were so diverse in the healthcare field! i would definitely recommend it to anyone who didn't get into medicine it might be the course for you!

please feel free to contact me for further information.

regards,

Gurlal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads