Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    It's a capital city, all capital cities are like that. Bet New York's even worse.

And yes, london does rock. You'll never get bored there. I like it so much I want to live there for the rest of my life
    i like new york more than london though, ny has more + higher skyscrapers

America is by far the best place in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i like new york more than london though, ny has more + higher skyscrapers
    and is a major terrorist target!

ReputationRep:
    How can u lot say that new york is better than london !??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa13)
    America is by far the best place in the world.
    But the American president is an idiot, that makes it so not the best place in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Only the president is and idiot..... I dont think many people in the US even knew where spain was until they heard about the terrorist attack. They live in there own sick sad world.

The shopping is cheaper tho...

ReputationRep:
    the bad thing about US is it hasnt got the nice atmosphere in england. The US is just like 1 big place to me, i guess maybe england has got a much deeper tradition + history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpAnIsH_fLy)
    The shopping is cheaper tho...
    slightly more important to americans eh

ReputationRep:
    I love it And it doesn't have to be that much more expensive than other places to be honest. Eg. if you eat out in ask or somewhere like that it doesn't cost more in london! Plus there are SO MANY cheap places, you just have to find them and not be tempted to eat at the first place you see.

The same goes for accommodation - it IS possible to find somewhere reasonably priced provided you don't settle without looking much.

And I think it's actually pretty good for part time work as well as less structured things like one off work for concerts etc.

If you live there, you can get cheap theatre tickets and all sorts by turning up on the day and there are so many free things to do (science museum is excellent!!)

And everywhere is on terrorist alert not just london. Manchester, birmingham.. all these places are probably at the same level of risk to be honest. That's just the way things are nowadays and i'm not going to let it put me off moving to a city that I love!

However, parking is indescribably expensive. £3 an hour + and that is as long as you can actually find somewhere. I don't mind driving around london , it isnt a good idea if you suffer from road rage or are impatient though. I quite like the tube to be honest there are plenty of weirdos but it isn't so bad and it gets you places quickly.

ReputationRep:
    London is good to spend a few days in a go every year or maybe every two years. However I would find it too big if I had to live there. What I like so much about Manchester is that its a big city (it makes Edinburgh seem tiny) yet at the same time its not too big. Its freindly and there is countryside only 4 miles away from the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    London is good to spend a few days in a go every year or maybe every two years. However I would find it too big if I had to live there. What I like so much about Manchester is that its a big city (it makes Edinburgh seem tiny) yet at the same time its not too big. Its freindly and there is countryside only 4 miles away from the city centre.
    Have you been to Edinburgh yet?

ReputationRep:
    London expensive? Maybe you're just poor.

I can't wait to live in Milan and Tokyo one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)

i want to live in Tokyo/New York one day
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    London is good to spend a few days in a go every year or maybe every two years.
    I like to go up to Camden christmas shopping a couple of times during Autumn - then spend New Yrs Eve wandering round Camden then having a meal in China Town.

And of course we always go up for the Notting Hill Carnival

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    But the American president is an idiot, that makes it so not the best place in the world.
    i just love america, stupid president or not.... you may dislike america because of the iraq conflicts but me and america have this attraction, maybe because i have a little USon in me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa13)
    i just love america, stupid president or not.... you may dislike america because of the iraq conflicts but me and america have this attraction, maybe because i have a little USon in me
    bad thing about us is its too traditionless and cultureless, inevitable future for a capitalist country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Is there anything to like about it? I was there yesterday, its so damn expensive just to eat out, why do people like london ?! apart from eastenders?
    its very very cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)

at the same time...hmmmmm..... London is expensive you fool...if you compare it to other parts of the uk, do us all a favour and stop being so damn stuck-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Is there anything to like about it? I was there yesterday, its so damn expensive just to eat out, why do people like london ?! apart from eastenders?
    I love the science and natural history museums. I also love camden market on a sunday morning. I can only take london at one week at a time, it does my head in after a while. I know someone who lives there, they live opposite a v. famous person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    bad thing about us is its too traditionless and cultureless, inevitable future for a capitalist country
    we have tradition, its just that the world refuses to recognize it as tradition.......

what about surfing, and skating with your best buddies after school? sandlot baseball, and park football during the summer? what about american children that are old enough, pilgrimage to the swimming pool every day when it gets hot? and the curfew that is most commonly said as, "get home when the street lights dim?"

thats tradition.....and while it might not be a queens coronation or anything, it is most certainly the way we are raised.....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.