London Watch

This discussion is closed.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
bad thing about us is its too traditionless and cultureless, inevitable future for a capitalist country
traditionless? what are you mad?!?! do you know how many traditions america have?!!?!?!?!? they have more traditions than we have each year!!!!!
SpAnIsH_fLy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
we have tradition, its just that the world refuses to recognize it as tradition.......

what about surfing, and skating with your best buddies after school? sandlot baseball, and park football during the summer? what about american children that are old enough, pilgrimage to the swimming pool every day when it gets hot? and the curfew that is most commonly said as, "get home when the street lights dim?"

thats tradition.....and while it might not be a queens coronation or anything, it is most vertainly the way we are raised.....
emm..we do that here too
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why do so many people seem to hate London?? Even my roommate hates it .
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
its very very cold.
I complain about the weather here persistantly however when on hoiliday for some unknown reason i always end up missing the miserable weather here I love London because there's so many great people and always something to do.
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SpAnIsH_fLy)
emm..we do that here too
yeah but who invented baseball....and i wasnt talking about soccer!
SpAnIsH_fLy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
they dont like to admit that they really like
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
we have tradition, its just that the world refuses to recognize it as tradition.......

what about surfing, and skating with your best buddies after school? sandlot baseball, and park football during the summer? what about almost every american child old enoughs pilgrimage to the swimming pool every day when it gets hot? and the curfew that is most commonly said as, "get home when the street lights dim?"

thats tradition.....and while it might not be a queens coronation or anything, it is most vertainly the way we are raised.....

ok fair enough but i can relate the surfing and skating the same as in australia--> it is not really unique. In terms of history, USA hasnt exactly got a long history, comparing to many other countries, and this links to other things such as types of houses, which i have to say i dont really like.
SpAnIsH_fLy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah..baseballs good.

But nobody plays it except in america, which is a shame
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Have you been to Edinburgh yet?
Yep I was there last weekend.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yep I was there last weekend.
Did you like it? What pubs did you visit?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Did you like it? What pubs did you visit?
It was good thanks, the break was good, the city seemed a bit small (compared to what we were used to) we went to an indie club (The Venue) but it turned out to be hard core dance so that put a damper on the first night. Also the beer was stronger so that resulted in me being very sick the next day.

There was a lot of scallies about though on the saturday night but that may have just been the area where on, maybe the west end is better? We stayed near cowgate. The main pubs we went to where the Standing Order (Wetherspoons) and The Tron (Scream) oh and we bought our food from Greggs and Sainsbury's (yes we are commerical junkies!!).

I've done much more work since I have come back anyway its given me a lot of energy for some reason.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Where's he come from?

From what I've heard, most people north of London hate it. I've been there a few times and what I hated was that the city centre was so dispersed that unless you want really long walks you have to take the tube, which takes away the kind of continuity between the places... it makes it seem as if the only way to get around is by tube, and you go in this tunnel network and resurface at different areas which seem to have no surface connection between them.

Also that meant that last time we went my mum was scared to go on the tube. We were dropped off at the Marble Arch a couple of hours late (the coach broke down just before Oxford) and we couldn't go beyond Oxford Street or Baker Street because there just wasn't time to walk to the other places we wanted to go.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It was good thanks, the break was good, the city seemed a bit small (compared to what we were used to) we went to an indie club (The Venue) but it turned out to be hard core dance so that put a damper on the first night. Also the beer was stronger so that resulted in me being very sick the next day.

There was a lot of scallies about though on the saturday night but that may have just been the area where on, maybe the west end is better? We stayed near cowgate. The main pubs we went to where the Standing Order (Wetherspoons) and The Tron (Scream) oh and we bought our food from Greggs and Sainsbury's (yes we are commerical junkies!!).

I've done much more work since I have come back anyway its given me a lot of energy for some reason.
Glad you had a nice time. Standing Order... hmm... was this on George Street? I only remember that Weatherspoons, it was quite nice.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Where's he come from?

From what I've heard, most people north of London hate it. I've been there a few times and what I hated was that the city centre was so dispersed that unless you want really long walks you have to take the tube, which takes away the kind of continuity between the places... it makes it seem as if the only way to get around is by tube, and you go in this tunnel network and resurface at different areas which seem to have no surface connection between them.

Also that meant that last time we went my mum was scared to go on the tube. We were dropped off at the Marble Arch a couple of hours late (the coach broke down just before Oxford) and we couldn't go beyond Oxford Street or Baker Street because there just wasn't time to walk to the other places we wanted to go.
Living in london is a different matter though. When i've spent prolonged amounts of time there it's been a lot better - when you go for just a day there is always a big rush to do all the things you want to do in the smallest amount of time. If you live there you can just do one thing in a day. Plus because of the discontinuity, you have a 'base' which is somewhere that feels like your own little town or whatever, which i think is nicer than seeing the whole of london as one big place.

That's the error i used to make with london - i'd go for one day and expect to be able to shop in x amount of places AND go to a museum AND eat... which just isn't really very practical.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Glad you had a nice time. Standing Order... hmm... was this on George Street? I only remember that Weatherspoons, it was quite nice.
Yeah thats right, just at the back of Princess Street.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah thats right, just at the back of Princess Street.
It was nice in there . Did you go down that big pub street I mentioned?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
Living in london is a different matter though. When i've spent prolonged amounts of time there it's been a lot better - when you go for just a day there is always a big rush to do all the things you want to do in the smallest amount of time. If you live there you can just do one thing in a day. Plus because of the discontinuity, you have a 'base' which is somewhere that feels like your own little town or whatever, which i think is nicer than seeing the whole of london as one big place.

That's the error i used to make with london - i'd go for one day and expect to be able to shop in x amount of places AND go to a museum AND eat... which just isn't really very practical.
Nah, I've never been stupid enough to do that. My mum's cheap anyway.

Is it true that people don't even say thankyou when they get off the bus in London?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3522532.stm
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)

Is it true that people don't even say thankyou when they get off the bus in London?
D'you mean to the driver? Because this isn't really possible, as you will usually get off the bus in the middle and get on at the front.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
I like it
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
London is great much better than Birmingham, Manchester or Sheffield.

But I like Edinburgh better.
I agree, Edinburgh is a great place to live. There's not as many shops, nightclubs etc as London but there is definitely enough to keep anyone content. It's also a beautiful city and isn't dirty or overcrowded. It's cold and windy at times but it's usually quite bright at the same time.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.87%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (327)
63.62%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.67%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed