This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
I agree, Edinburgh is a great place to live. There's not as many shops, nightclubs etc as London but there is definitely enough to keep anyone content. It's also a beautiful city and isn't dirty or overcrowded. It's cold and windy at times but it's usually quite bright at the same time.
Yup that's why I like it so much. It's big but not too big and it's beautiful with great shops and bars. And the Scottish people are the friendlist in the UK, they are all happy to help you... unlike Londoners who just walk straight past you.

Although Edinburgh is great, it's not quite my favourite place. But close
arunabh
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
dear friend
i will be coming to kings this september for my MA education course. would you please tell me will i be better of staying at kings accomodation or intercoll. halls.I would love to make some enduring frndships in your country.
I am from india funds r not a problem for me as they are covered by my sponser.
waiting for your reply
thank you
legon
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
I dont get it, why do arethere some of the most upmarket and wealthy areas right next to deprived areas, how can there be so much of a market contrast in living standards in such a close area?
thats one of the things london is praised for quite often by town planners and politicians etc...even in the midst of chelsea and mayfair there are council houses and flats etc so unlike other cities there is not so much seperation between rich and poor...though of course whether people choose to embrace this interaction is another matter.
legon
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by LA$_VEGA$)
at the same time...hmmmmm..... London is expensive you fool...if you compare it to other parts of the uk, do us all a favour and stop being so damn stuck-up.
it is expensive but not compared to quite a few other places in the country. most of the south, especially the south east, much of the midlands and even parts of the north can be just as pricey...so the thing with london is you can pay a large amount of money and live in a world class city, or you can pay the same and live somewhere like medway!!! yuck. towns are generally nasty, too many chavs. know what i would choose.
Masonne
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
Living in london is a different matter though. When i've spent prolonged amounts of time there it's been a lot better - when you go for just a day there is always a big rush to do all the things you want to do in the smallest amount of time. If you live there you can just do one thing in a day. Plus because of the discontinuity, you have a 'base' which is somewhere that feels like your own little town or whatever, which i think is nicer than seeing the whole of london as one big place.

That's the error i used to make with london - i'd go for one day and expect to be able to shop in x amount of places AND go to a museum AND eat... which just isn't really very practical.
definitely agree with that. living in london is a totally different experience to visiting it! i get so stressed when i visit it but if you live there generally you arent living in trafalgar sq.....ive lived in loads of places in london, all are incredibly different! and all with plus points and bad points. it annoys me when people say they could never live in london cos as you rightly point out although london can be seen as one big city it is in fact more like a collection of various londons, from leafy terraces in north london and the quiet 'village' of hampstead to the more edgy areas of east london such as shoreditch and hoxton. chelsea and south kensington are fundamentally different to places such as brixton and frinsbury...london is to diverse to disregard so simply! if you cant find a place in london you wouldnt want to live then you havent experienced enough (except of course country living). the best thing about london though is how cosmopolitan it is, it has more cultures in it than practically anywhere in the world, more so even than new york and that makes for one eclectic, creative and fascinating place to live.

there really is nowhere else like it in the uk! i often go to other 'cities' in the uk and wonder how they are at all different to a town (the answer i assume is because they have a cathedral) for example norwich, plymouth, southhampton, bournemouth...all great places dont get me wrong.

for people that dont want to live there thats fine, its not for everyone, no place is, im living in the counrtyside at the moment which is nice but awfully dull....however i definitely think london is for those who are not afraid to try new things and explore the many possibilities life has to offer, both in terms of simple things like food, art and nightlife to deeper things such as exploring new identities and modes of expression and living. of course other places have this too, manchester springs to mind, but it is still not comparable to london.

london is for people who are energetic, lively, adventurous and open minded, and if you are not like that then dont live in london as you probably wont like most of it.
Masonne
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Yup that's why I like it so much. It's big but not too big and it's beautiful with great shops and bars. And the Scottish people are the friendlist in the UK, they are all happy to help you... unlike Londoners who just walk straight past you.

Although Edinburgh is great, it's not quite my favourite place. But close
i liked edinburgh, especially some of the bars, but i found the people terribly rude during the time i stayed there. i just think like all places you will get some rude, some welcoming, london or edinburgh alike!
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
I dont get it, why do arethere some of the most upmarket and wealthy areas right next to deprived areas, how can there be so much of a market contrast in living standards in such a close area?
The Capitalist dilemma...
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I do love London though, as it has a more 'lived in' feel that any other city in this country.

As for the point about London being a collective of different communities, I would agree with this and it adds to the appeal of the place.

I do believe that there is 'something for everyone', from the vibrancy of Soho and Camden, the beauty and tranquility of the Great Parks, the buzz of Oxford Circus, the exotic that is Brick Lane and the urban grit that is Tower Hamlets, parts of Hackney etc.

I live in Birmingham and have been to Manchester, Liverpool etc. They cannot compare to London, they come nowhere close to it in terms of scale, diversity and quite simply - breadth of stuff to do.

London isnt without its faults though, traffic is obviously problematic, people clutter is terrible for the claustrophobic and in some underground stations you do feel slightly...exposed.

That said, comparing the place to Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome - I would definitely choose London (somewhere in the list after Barcelona et al )
sloaney87
Report 15 years ago
I personally could not imagine myself living anywhere else in england except london, its the best!

and yeah there is that thing that you get estates in good areas next to houses worth a few million, personally i think thats fair, it just means they get the same benefits as other people wealthier do...like same park same shops etc,

but the bad thing is the amount of crime people from the estates do, and thers ALOT of trouble between estate boys/ girls and others which is a slight annoyance,
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads