The Student Room Group

Applying for an admin job - what hobbies and interests do I mention?

Hey, I'm applying for an admin job for a local company. It's a health company I think it's connected to the NHS. Ultimately, I want to go in to the NHS so although it's not the role I want to do it in the future, it will provide me with some good experience!

Anyway, it asks for my hobbies on the application form. What on earth do I mention? I'm just a normal 20 something year old girl, and I like going out with friends etc but I have no weird hobbies that stand me out from the crowd. I like football and that;s about it! I volunteer at a local charity but I have mentioned that on my supporting statement so I don't really know what to put.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys :smile:
I don't think you need to list hobbies as much, maybe go into more depth, as in yes you like football, and what have you done with it/because of it? Why do you like football? Say that this gives you the ability to work in a team. It's more about why you like the hobbies and how they make you a stronger candidate.
Don't just list hobbies because you feel you have to. Employers unfortunately will have lots of candidates' CVs to go through and if they're reading "hobbies include walking my dog, watching films, going out with friends" they're gonna be thinking "well so what?".

Admin jobs are all about organisation, working with clients, and using/collecting information so see if you can twist your hobbies to fit that. So even if realistically you only have the volunteering at a local charity to write down, talk a lot about it i.e. you enjoy helping others, organising support for people, gathering knowledge etc.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending