The Student Room Group

Michael Gove Ideological Reform

Hi fellow students! :smile:

I'm taking an exam on education policy for A2 politics and have a feeling they may ask something on Michael Gove's reforms. I have compiled quite a few together; E.G. no january exams, curriculum reform etc. but if anyone knows any others please share! The more I have the better!

Also, what do you think about them? Do you think they are his attempt at an ideological stamp on education policy? Or do you think they are a pragmatic solution to the failing standards of education? Do you like him? Don't you?

Good debate always helps as revision for good essay answers!
Put it this way, there is a reason why everyone hates him.
Reply 2
Original post by Prof. Essional
Put it this way, there is a reason why everyone hates him.

haha yes but he would argue that no-body likes change so that's unsurprising!
Reply 3
Original post by millie-rose

I'm taking an exam on education policy for A2 politics and have a feeling they may ask something on Michael Gove's reforms. I have compiled quite a few together; E.G. no january exams, curriculum reform etc. but if anyone knows any others please share! The more I have the better!

Have you considered some of the stuff within curriculum reform, such as teaching British history etc.? I forget where I read it, but there was also something about him de-emphasising Social Sciences. Don't forget academies, studio schools and free schools as well, and his (now thwarted) attempts to bring back a two-tier system akin to O-levels and CSEs.

Do you mind if I also ask you what exam board you are on? It's just that I have an A2 Politics exam soon, too.

Also, what do you think about them? Do you think they are his attempt at an ideological stamp on education policy? Or do you think they are a pragmatic solution to the failing standards of education? Do you like him? Don't you?

I actually really like most of what he is doing. However, I think scrapping January exams is as far as it should go, and it would be wrong to scrap AS. I also object to the idea of free schools - basically state-funded independent schools. Also, I know it doesn't matter in terms of politics, but he actually is a really nice person!

Not sure if this is entirely relevant but the reason I loathe him personally is Gove trying to paint out that hes a maverick rather messiah to the education system. The system has been failing students for years now, what does Gove do? Talk about bs changes yet again, true, there are issues with the system as it is that need attention, but there are bigger issues still like institutional racism that need sorting, elitism etc as these are issues overlapping both education and the subsequent impossible job scene that people finishing education have to deal with, Gove chooses to ignore those elephants in the room. I mean come on, some schools are genuinely trying to retain a sense of traditional education ie prepare their students for later life by means of an education, this is a hard enough task as it is without conforming to Gove's ideals.
Reply 5
Not sure if this is entirely relevant but the reason I loathe him personally is Gove trying to paint out that hes a maverick rather messiah to the education system. The system has been failing students for years now, what does Gove do? Talk about bs changes yet again, true, there are issues with the system as it is that need attention, but there are bigger issues still like institutional racism that need sorting, elitism etc as these are issues overlapping both education and the subsequent impossible job scene that people finishing education have to deal with, Gove chooses to ignore those elephants in the room. I mean come on, some schools are genuinely trying to retain a sense of traditional education ie prepare their students for later life by means of an education, this is a hard enough task as it is without conforming to Gove's ideals.

You're talking bile. Institutional racism and, what was the other one, "elitism" (though we may share some agreement there), are not the hot topics in education.

Michael Gove is a highly successful reformer, which is why all the 'vested interests' (read: unions) dislike him so.

There are aspects to his reforms I disagree with, some strongly, but to just write him off because it's fashionable helps no one.
Reply 6
Original post by Hitcherist
You're talking bile. Institutional racism and, what was the other one, "elitism" (though we may share some agreement there), are not the hot topics in education.

Michael Gove is a highly successful reformer, which is why all the 'vested interests' (read: unions) dislike him so.

There are aspects to his reforms I disagree with, some strongly, but to just write him off because it's fashionable helps no one.

How can you strongly disagree with things he does but say he is a highly successful reformer? Unless you mean because he gets reforms through without bowing to criticism - which could be seen as a negative?
Reply 7
Original post by Habsburg
Have you considered some of the stuff within curriculum reform, such as teaching British history etc.? I forget where I read it, but there was also something about him de-emphasising Social Sciences. Don't forget academies, studio schools and free schools as well, and his (now thwarted) attempts to bring back a two-tier system akin to O-levels and CSEs.

Do you mind if I also ask you what exam board you are on? It's just that I have an A2 Politics exam soon, too.

I actually really like most of what he is doing. However, I think scrapping January exams is as far as it should go, and it would be wrong to scrap AS. I also object to the idea of free schools - basically state-funded independent schools. Also, I know it doesn't matter in terms of politics, but he actually is a really nice person!

I am on AQA A2 - the exam is Ideologies in Action and one topic is Education.

Thanks for the ideas. And I like that he is trying to change education because we definitely don't compare to some other countries and I like his point of 'either catch up with the chinese or work for the chinese!'... but I do think he's gone over the top with the two year linear a level and abolition of the AS. Whereas there are some important things that really need changing like applying to universities AFTER results instead of before, or getting rid of teachers who have no relevant qualification in what they are teaching - problems which are not being tackled at all.

I also despise the way he acts as if unions, teachers and anyone else who criticises him area nuisance rather than a constructive view point.
Reply 8
How can you strongly disagree with things he does but say he is a highly successful reformer? Unless you mean because he gets reforms through without bowing to criticism - which could be seen as a negative?

His reform prowess and my disagreement with aspects of that, are unrelated.

You are spouting nonsense. Institutional racism? Elitism? Let me guess, you think leveling down is a good idea? No?

Something needs to be done about GCSEs and I largely agree with what Gove is doing. A levels are a different matter altogether.
Reply 10

Change can be good. Seceratary of Education should be changed, pronto :wink:

But yeah, the changes he wants suggest he has no idea what he's talking about

Original post by Hitcherist

So which of his ideas do you think are good?

A successful reformer is someone who can manage to push reforms through parliament successfully; this doesn't necessarily coalesce with how people agree with his policies. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending