The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ellie4
Hey all. It's approaching the time I have to decide what subjects I do to A2. My question is, is it worth doing all of my 4 AS subjects to A2 if I'm not interested in Oxbridge? Warwick is my first choice. Please help! x

depends how strong your 3 subjects r......the majority of people only do 3, and still get into unis like warwick......infact, only a few people do 4. it's prob best just to concentrate on 3subjects......!!
Ellie4
Hey all. It's approaching the time I have to decide what subjects I do to A2. My question is, is it worth doing all of my 4 AS subjects to A2 if I'm not interested in Oxbridge? Warwick is my first choice. Please help! x

Only if you enjoy them and can maintain a good grade in them. theres no point in workin your guts out to do 4 subjects reasonably than 3 brilliantly. Most unis make offers only based on 3 alevels but its handy to have 4 incase one goes wrong!
Reply 3
I continued with 4 because I enjoy them, and I thought I could cope with doing all of them. If you think thats true of yours, keep them up, but don't keep them for university as you won't need 4.
Reply 4
Missmoneypenny
Only if you enjoy them and can maintain a good grade in them. theres no point in workin your guts out to do 4 subjects reasonably than 3 brilliantly. Most unis make offers only based on 3 alevels but its handy to have 4 incase one goes wrong!

but thats risky, cos gd unis do make u offers including all 4 subjects if u do carry them on, so u can't really guess wot will happen. if u know u can cope, then do it!
Reply 5
What are the 3 subjects?
Reply 6
My subjects are German, Economics, Geography and Biology. I'm looking to do management at Warwick and know they like a breadth of subjects (e.g. those offering both business studies and economics at A2 may be at a disadvantage). I'm thinking of dropping Biology if I don't do all 4, but do you think they will consider Geography and economics too similar? There is some overlap in human Geography. I wouldn't consider dropping Economics or German, but am open to suggestions with the other two. If I choose to drop Geography, I can have a science, a language and a humanity. Does that sound better??? x
Reply 7
Ellie4
My subjects are German, Economics, Geography and Biology. I'm looking to do management at Warwick and know they like a breadth of subjects (e.g. those offering both business studies and economics at A2 may be at a disadvantage). I'm thinking of dropping Biology if I don't do all 4, but do you think they will consider Geography and economics too similar? There is some overlap in human Geography. I wouldn't consider dropping Economics or German, but am open to suggestions with the other two. If I choose to drop Geography, I can have a science, a language and a humanity. Does that sound better??? x

Personally, I think doing 4 subjects shouldn't be a problem for all academically strong candidates and in fact, if your AS grades were good, then I see no reason why you should not continue. I take 6 subjects at A2 (Bio, Chem, Lit, Hist, Maths, F Maths) and from browsing this forums, a few others also take the same amount and find it easy to balance. Taking a large number of subjects, if you're willing to work hard is definitely a plus when it comes to 'offer' time. If you need AAB (Warwick is likely to give these) or AAA, then having 4 subjects would definitely be a safer option. It's especially true since AAA is EXTREMELY common nowadays.
4 if you can cope and at the same time, able to ensure that the grades for the other 3 are not being compromised .

aliter, 3 will generally do just fine.
Reply 9
starry
Personally, I think doing 4 subjects shouldn't be a problem for all academically strong candidates and in fact, if your AS grades were good, then I see no reason why you should not continue. I take 6 subjects at A2 (Bio, Chem, Lit, Hist, Maths, F Maths) and from browsing this forums, a few others also take the same amount and find it easy to balance. Taking a large number of subjects, if you're willing to work hard is definitely a plus when it comes to 'offer' time. If you need AAB (Warwick is likely to give these) or AAA, then having 4 subjects would definitely be a safer option. It's especially true since AAA is EXTREMELY common nowadays.

ok i see your argument, and yeh its worth doing 4 (as i do) or 5 at a push, but why 6??
Reply 10
Ellie4

hey just to say i'm gonna go to warwick this sept to study management, and my a-levels r maths, chem, and economics! my friend also doing the same course has chem, bio and econ. u don't have to have FOUR subjects.
Reply 11
but having said that.......its important how good your predicted grades r and your personal statement. if u're straight A's then u shouldn't have a prob with 3 a-levels and getting into warwick!
i don't think that A levels are much harder than AS really so i don't see why you wouldn't be able to manage with 4. I do 4 A2's and and 2 AS's this year and don't find it too hard as long as i keep up to date with all the work.
Reply 13
Leeroy
ok i see your argument, and yeh its worth doing 4 (as i do) or 5 at a push, but why 6??

Easy and interested.
Reply 14
I'd say 4 - you need all the help you can get to get in to any uni right now, not just oxbridge, and I never struggled with 4.
Reply 15
Peapod
I'd say 4 - you need all the help you can get to get in to any uni right now, not just oxbridge, and I never struggled with 4.

Exactly. And think about it, the workload at Warwick will definitely be more than 3 A Levels.
Reply 16
Ellie4

I was always told that universities didn't regard people who did 4 A levels as cleverer, rather they regarded them as having better time management skills.

If you are doing 3 good traditional A levels, stick with them. 3 A levels at grade A will be all you'll need for any university in the world, providing you have a good personal statement and interview well.
Tednol
I was always told that universities didn't regard people who did 4 A levels as cleverer, rather they regarded them as having better time management skills.

I did 4 A levels + general and I have the worst time management skills imaginable. Seriously, i am so bad. I procrastinate my life away...
Reply 18
hildabeast
I did 4 A levels + general and I have the worst time management skills imaginable. Seriously, i am so bad. I procrastinate my life away...

Happy bday.
Ellie4

i'd say 4 if u can handle it; trying to get AAA out of 4 subjects is alot easier than trying to get AAA out of 3 subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending