The Student Room Group

Should we have the right to bear arms?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Barksy
Chicago has strict gun control.

The UK has strict gun control.

One you can just drive out of town, pick up a truckload of guns and drive back again, the other you can't. One has a big gun crime problem, the other doesn't...

Trying to control guns in isolated parts of the US is just stupid for that reason. It needs a national approach, and we all know that america's buy-a-president political system isn't going to allow that to happen as long as there are $$$ to be made selling guns to scared citizens.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
we should in our own homes but it won't happen. the law does not even permit fire arms training !
Original post by Iron Lady
Only the irresponsible cases are reported. Guns aren't the problem, the people are the problem.

True that it is the people that are the problem, However a gun in the wrong hands is 10x as worse as a knife in the wrong hands. Guns cause more trouble than they prevent.
Not sure about some of the responses here... a lot of citizens don't want to lose their guns so would why would they want a national approach? Nonetheless, the government isn't going to waste resources by attempting to take away their guns, nor would it be all that effective. Unless I'm misinterpreting what some are saying?

Anyway, I'm going a bit off-topic now. I'd prefer police officers to be armed (just like the majority of countries), but I'm with regards to citizens being armed, I'm not really sure how good an introduction would be.
(edited 10 years ago)
Only the irresponsible cases are reported. Guns aren't the problem, the people are the problem.

Thats why in this country any adult can apply to have a gun licence. But we don't let murdering psychopaths have them (legally).
As an individual, I'd feel safer at night if I had a gun by my side, constantly fearing burglaries even though I live in a crime free area.

If an area is crime free, and yet you live in constant fear of crime, I feel like you're the last person who should hold a gun. Think of the poor parcel delivery man or window cleaner or perfectly innocent stranger with the wrong address who comes round to your house - it sounds like you'd be far too inclined to get all jumpy and shoot at him.

We can't make gun policy on the basis of people who have irrational and slightly misplaced fears. Holding guns under licence in a locked storage rack - fine. Indiscriminately carrying handguns for personal protection - dangerous.
Reply 47
Original post by Zenomorph
we should in our own homes but it won't happen. the law does not even permit fire arms training !

That's not true.

I learnt how to use a rifle as a 13yr old. In this country. With a youth group. Legally.
Reply 48
Original post by Drewski
That's not true.

I learnt how to use a rifle as a 13yr old. In this country. With a youth group. Legally.

give me the link !
Reply 49
Original post by Zenomorph
give me the link !

Air Cadets. Army Cadets. Sea Cadets.
Approximately 110,000 13-19 yr olds across the country.
Original post by Drewski

Err, you do not fire a rifle per se, its a 22. caliber i believe. Besides, with a license, Rifles and shotguns are legal. Nothing else permitted though, so no MP5's, or handguns.
Reply 51
Original post by beaver_tron
Err, you do not fire a rifle per se, its a 22. caliber i believe. Besides, with a license, Rifles and shotguns are legal. Nothing else permitted though, so no MP5's, or handguns.

L-98, a 5.56mm rifle modelled on the SA80.

And a .22 rifle is still a rifle. It's still lethal if used incorrectly.
no ****ing way. we get along fine without it.
Original post by Drewski
L-98, a 5.56mm rifle modelled on the SA80.

And a .22 rifle is still a rifle. It's still lethal if used incorrectly.

Those are modified for use with cadets/training. I know, a rifle being, a "hunting" rifle though, and a .22 an air rifle, although a .22 would be legal for anyone 18 years of ages, which is worse, as you could easily buy one that looked like a handgun, and rob a store.
Reply 54
Those are modified for use with cadets/training. I know, a rifle being, a "hunting" rifle though, and a .22 an air rifle, although a .22 would be legal for anyone 18 years of ages, which is worse, as you could easily buy one that looked like a handgun, and rob a store.

Only to the point where they're not semi- or full-automatic. They chamber a 5.56mm round with an escape velocity of something close to 1000m/s. If that's not a rifle then what is?

You're being needlessly picky. It is perfectly legal to fire a firearm - a rifle - in this country. I've used rifles (single round target rifles, semi-automatic and fully automatic), handguns and shotguns.
Original post by Drewski
Only to the point where they're not semi- or full-automatic. They chamber a 5.56mm round with an escape velocity of something close to 1000m/s. If that's not a rifle then what is?

You're being needlessly picky. It is perfectly legal to fire a firearm - a rifle - in this country. I've used rifles (single round target rifles, semi-automatic and fully automatic), handguns and shotguns.

Christ, no, i was agreeing with you.
I knew they were modified to not be the military weapons, and you clarified.

And no, it is not perfectly legal, you have to have a license, unless of course you are under the supervision that you were and training etc, i.e cadets.

You cannot just find a rifle on the floor and fire it. Nor can anyone in the uk legally own a handgun or fully auto rifle. At all.
Reply 56
Christ, no, i was agreeing with you.
I knew they were modified to not be the military weapons, and you clarified.

And no, it is not perfectly legal, you have to have a license, unless of course you are under the supervision that you were and training etc, i.e cadets.

You cannot just find a rifle on the floor and fire it. Nor can anyone in the uk legally own a handgun or fully auto rifle. At all.

Well yes there's the caveat of being supervised, in certain places, whatever. But it's still possible. It's not a blanket ban on anything that goes bang.
Reply 57
I personally think crime figures would go through the roof.
Original post by Solarstorm
Should UK citizens have the right to arms?

Should the police be armed?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2656875.stm

http://m.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jul/14/crime-statistics-england-wales

http://www.examiner.com/article/defenseless-violent-burglars-every-30-minutes

Did you know that homes are burgled every 30 minutes in the UK? At least according to that last webpage.

Regular citizens don't need firearms, period. They don't need to own them like Americans think they need own them. It's really not necessary. So hell no
As for the police, that's a different matter. A lot already are. Whether more need to be armed, I'm uncertain.

Original post by Morgsie
NO WAY. I don't want another Dunblane happening again, I remember that horror vividly

This. I remember Dunblane as well. Never again.
Reply 59
Original post by Drewski

no Cadets are part of the army corps . You can't hire someone at a facility to teach you how to shoot unlike the USA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending