The Student Room Group

ICT option GCSE

Is ICT worth doing for GCSE, I thought it would be useful but the exam board i am on is OCR and it doesn't look that good. I think it's called level 2 nationals has anyone done it, does it have alot of coursework?? Thank you. :smile:
Reply 1
I'm in the middle of doing it now! It involves 4 units, my 4 are :

Creating a game ( learning and utilizing a programming language) - 10hr coursework which was split over 10 lessons
Exam - Understanding ICT - showing you have basic knowledge on parts of a computer and how networks and internet protocols work
Business Unit - Using excel, making a business model
1 other which I have forgotten.

In total there are 3 CW units. However they aren't to hard and if your in to your ICT like me it's enjoyable! I think that the GCSE is a useful one to have looking forward into the future! I would say go for it if you are into it or want to learn more about computers and all of that! The coursework really isn't that hard :smile:

Don't go for an option because your mate is or isn't taking it or because other people have had a bad experience in the past! :smile:
Reply 2
oh yeah the 4th one is control systems - more programming ( not to complicated though) - Just have to know your stuff
Reply 3
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/cambridge-nationals-ict-level-1-2-j800-j810-j820/ have a look under ass materials to get a feel but don't be put off if it looks confusing buddy :smile:
Reply 4
I completed OCR National with Distinction and I found it pretty easy, sometimes too easy at times. It depends on what units your teacher will choose for you to complete - I think I completed 1, 4, 7 and 21 but don't quote me on it as I had to delete some work after it had been moderated in order to save space on my school area.

Overall, depending on your own ability, you should find it pretty easy and rewarding if your teacher chooses the easier or more fun units.
Reply 5
I dont know if i should keep to ICT or change it to History considering im doing geography as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending